IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How do your palms do in clay pots?

Brad Mondel

I have several palms in clay pots but I'm worried that the fluctuations in moisture and temperature will stress out the palms. Clay pots are thirsty and drink a lot of moisture from the potting mix. Do you grow in clay pots? How do your palms do if you use them? 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

The only problem I had with clay pots was that they are too heavy and that they can break into pieces after a thunderstorm. Here a couple of examples with Chamaerops (with two small Phoenix theophrasti on the right),  Phoenix reclinata, Ph. roebelenii, Ph. rupicola, and Trachycarpus wagnerianus:

5718e80a28280_Chamaeropshumilis2008-06-1

5718e811e8b7e_Phoenixreclinata2008-06-17

5718e819510ee_Phoenixroebelenii2008-09-2

5718e820948d3_Phoenixrupicola2008-09-16.

5718e827143ae_Trachycarpuswagnerianus200

• Upvote 8

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

I don't have palms in clay pots, but i have lots of other plants in clay pots in my garden. Every plants grows healthy in clay pots. I am sure, the clay pots always are better than plastic pots.

I think high quality clays can be very useful options for smaller palms that don't require frequent potting on. I now favor them for greenhouse use where heavy watering is going on and they don't get moved. The cost and fragility are, of course, two rather large negatives for commercial growers.

J

Thank you all, and Pal you have helped me gain confidence in growing palms in clay pots again. I was worried but I think they will do great as long as I keep them watered well. 

I typically prefer clay over plastic for a number of reasons, although the soil dries out faster than I'd like. I currently have only one palm in a clay pot and it's been needing water twice a week which isn't a lot, however it's only April, by July I'll probably have to water it almost daily. It looks nice though lol.

• Upvote 2

potted-palm-400x597.jpg

Look what I've found on the Internet. Very classy 

• Upvote 4

08053.gif

The look of clay pots is so classic and beautiful. They go so well with Mediterranean themes and kitchen herbs. Who else has photos to share of palms in clay pots? 

• 6 months later...

Pal, you have very beautuful collection of palms. Do you keep them outside in winter? And what is the third fan palm on the right next to Trachicarpus?

34 minutes ago, 555 said:

Pal, you have very beautuful collection of palms. Do you keep them outside in winter? And what is the third fan palm on the right next to Trachicarpus?

As I gave away all my palms in 2008 the only palms in clay pots I own at present are the tiny Ch tuerckhemii. — The palm on the right of T wagner is Rhapidophyllum hystrix. I kept palms like Chamaerops, Trachycarpus, Sabal, etc. as long as possible outdoors also in winter, but when the temps got too low or too long below zero I stored them in a small greenhouse.

58220908cbf84_Rhapidophyllumhystrix2006-

In greenhouse:

5822090f6086e_GreenhouseIMG_0990.thumb.j

• Upvote 2

It's amazing! The Hystrix is not very spiny yet. When it becoms spiny put it closer to uneducated students, they will learn to respect wildlife if they decide to treat it like Chamaerops :) Your Blue Chamaerops is cute also. I can see a seedling on the right of the Syagrus, is it Brahea armata or what? I'm a palm fanatic, but my flat space and climate do not let to grow lots of palms. By the way, did you sell your palms or just gave them for a present to trade centeres and hotels? Hardly any I would give away a palm I grew for 30 years if I had enough space for it.

Edited by 555
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, 555 said:

It's amazing! The Hystrix is not very spiny yet. When it becoms spiny put it closer to uneducated students, they will learn to respect wildlife if they decide to treat it like Chamaerops :) Your Blue Chamaerops is cute also. I can see a seedling on the right of the Syagrus, is it Brahea armata or what? I'm a palm fanatic, but my flat space and climate do not let to grow lots of palms. By the way, did you sell your palms or just gave them for a present to trade centeres and hotels? Hardly any I would give away a palm I grew for 30 years if I had enough space for it.

The bluish palm on the Dec 2007 photo is Brahea armata and the seedling with the silvery undersides right of the Weddell is Allagoptera caudescens. — I gave away ca 200 palms to a zoo, some 100s of seedlings to a botanical garden and other palms to friends. — I gave up in 2008 to educate students. :violin:

On 8/11/2016, 7:20:19, Pal Meir said:

As I gave away all my palms in 2008 the only palms in clay pots I own at present are the tiny Ch tuerckhemii. — The palm on the right of T wagner is Rhapidophyllum hystrix. I kept palms like Chamaerops, Trachycarpus, Sabal, etc. as long as possible outdoors also in winter, but when the temps got too low or too long below zero I stored them in a small greenhouse.

58220908cbf84_Rhapidophyllumhystrix2006-

In greenhouse:

5822090f6086e_GreenhouseIMG_0990.thumb.j

Pal, your green house is apparently a winter garden attached to your home or office. How do you manage to water so many potted plants in a room?

6 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

I mean how do you walk between the pots to reach the far ones and  how do you copy with the running water?

I could water the palms from inside through the terrace doors. And the excess water drained away through the floor.

582467ed83e22_Greenhouse2004-02-01.thumb

OMG, is it Ch. Zeifrizii above? I had a Ch. as tall as this one, but it was Ch. Neurochlyamis, I guess. Once again I'm impressed by your huge palm collection. It's like in a commercial nursery.

Pal, with your experience you should try to get a seedling of Lodoicea Maldivica from a seed.

Edited by 555

35 minutes ago, 555 said:

OMG, is it Ch. Zeifrizii above? I had a Ch. as tall as this one, but it was Ch. Neurochlyamis, I guess. Once again I'm impressed by your huge palm collection. It's like in a commercial nursery.

Pal, with your experience you should try to get a seedling of Lodoicea Maldivica from a seed.

The same Seifrizii a bit later:

58248f5c2a083_Chamaedoreaseifrizii2008-0

Yes, I had tried a Lodoicea, but not in a clay pot:

73N05-0203.thumb.jpg.78f391cc432a112fcbd

Oops, it wasn’t me, but another Hamburger … :P

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

The same Seifrizii a bit later:

58248f5c2a083_Chamaedoreaseifrizii2008-0

Yes, I had tried a Lodoicea, but not in a clay pot:

73N05-0203.thumb.jpg.78f391cc432a112fcbd

Oops, it wasn’t me, but another Hamburger … :P

You are a humorist! Is Zeifrizii in a zoo now or with you?  How old is it? And I wonder, does the nut root itself without watering or it needs misting?

6 minutes ago, 555 said:

You are a humorist! Is Zeifrizii in a zoo now or with you?  How old is it? And I wonder, does the nut root itself without watering or it needs misting?

I hade a couple of Seifriziis; that one on the photo stayed at the University office, but I don’t know if it’s still alive … :violin: — The nut needs at first heat (direct sun) and later lots of water. And still later SPACE, SPACE, and SPACE. It’s not suited to my home office (like the Tuerckheimiis are).

You know what, you should start growing and breeding rare endangered palms which are not used in cultivation. It would help them from extinction. For example there are beautiful palms in the Mascaren Islands which are not breeded (with the exeption of bottle and spindle palms).

10 minutes ago, 555 said:

You know what, you should start growing and breeding rare endangered palms which are not used in cultivation. It would help them from extinction. For example there are beautiful palms in the Mascaren Islands which are not breeded (with the exeption of bottle and spindle palms).

I am trying it with Lytocaryum itapebiense (already extinct), Lytocaryum insigne (endangered), and Chamaedorea tuerckheimii (endangered). But I have only extremely limited space (and not the ideal climate here).

Very sad. But sending them by mail to London and around the world to those which are interested in is not the worst idea. 

It's good job anyway. Good Luck, Pal.

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

Which ones? Kew BG in London? Here in DE we don’t have any in palms really interested and qualified ones any more …… :violin:

I think there is a garden in Frankfurt and another one in Berlin, to name few. Wasn't Martius employed in the garden of Berlin?

2 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

I think there is a garden in Frankfurt and another one in Berlin, to name few. Wasn't Martius employed in the garden of Berlin?

Yes, there are many gardens in DE, not only in F or B, but where are the people, where is the continuity?

On 4/21/2016, 2:26:49, Pal Meir said:

Clay pots can also have attractive forms and patterns:

57191b1c5aa0c_TrachycarpusRhapidophyllum

57191b20f270d_Chamaerops2004-04-29DSC005

57191b271249f_Chamaeropscerifera2015-04-

All of your palms are beautiful!   That chamaerops in your first post is stunning.  I love he one s with trunks like that ans less stiff leaves.   How old is it and how old was it when you got it.   Was it always that tall?     

Is the palm in the middle pic here a windmill?   

9 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Yes, there are many gardens in DE, not only in F or B, but where are the people, where is the continuity?

Pal, I keep hearing and reading all the time about lack of "Nachwuchs" in many professions, but in a miraculous way there is always at least one candidate for a post. Do not expect many Germans to be knowledgable in an object which is simply beyond the climate the live in but there is always the opportunity that big botanical gardens hire experienced personel from warmer countries. If I remember correctly, the manager of the palmetum in Tenerife is an Italian. It is only a matter of will...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Phoenikakias said:

Pal, I keep hearing and reading all the time about lack of "Nachwuchs" in many professions, but in a miraculous way there is always at least one candidate for a post. Do not expect many Germans to be knowledgable in an object which is simply beyond the climate the live in but there is always the opportunity that big botanical gardens hire experienced personel from warmer countries. If I remember correctly, the manager of the palmetum in Tenerife is an Italian. It is only a matter of will...

»Wo ein Wille ist, ist auch ein Weg (Where there is a will, there is a way)« may be true, but this implies also: »Wo kein Wille ist, ist auch kein Weg.« And there is no political will at all.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

All of your palms are beautiful!   That chamaerops in your first post is stunning.  I love he one s with trunks like that ans less stiff leaves.   How old is it and how old was it when you got it.   Was it always that tall?    

Is the palm in the middle pic here a windmill?   

All palms are grown up from seed. The blooming Chamaerops in the middle pic was in 2004 24 years old, in 2008 28 years.

• Upvote 2

On 4/22/2016, 12:51:22, Pal Meir said:

The only problem I had with clay pots was that they are too heavy and that they can break into pieces after a thunderstorm. Here a couple of examples with Chamaerops (with two small Phoenix theophrasti on the right),  Phoenix reclinata, Ph. roebelenii, Ph. rupicola, and Trachycarpus wagnerianus:

5718e80a28280_Chamaeropshumilis2008-06-1

5718e811e8b7e_Phoenixreclinata2008-06-17

5718e819510ee_Phoenixroebelenii2008-09-2

5718e820948d3_Phoenixrupicola2008-09-16.

5718e827143ae_Trachycarpuswagnerianus200

Pal, I have enjoyed your posts and photos as always, I am curious to ask below questions though : ( you might  want not to answer them at all, or answer privately, and I understand :) )

1- I believe you have always started with seeds and never bought a seedling to grow ( I know the Sabinaria magnifica seedling one ;) ), is there any other ones that you didn't grow from seed?

2- What do you teach ? what is your major ?

3- It seems that you have been interested and involved with palms from your young age, so how come you never moved to any more suitable area to grow palms ( or maybe you have and I don't know) , imagine you were in Hawaii and with this effort and knowledge, what king of garden you would grow from seeds :yay:

Thanks again

Mohsen

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

Pal, I have enjoyed your posts and photos as always, I am curious to ask below questions though : ( you might  want not to answer them at all, or answer privately, and I understand :) )

1- I believe you have always started with seeds and never bought a seedling to grow ( I know the Sabinaria magnifica seedling one ;) ), is there any other ones that you didn't grow from seed?

2- What do you teach ? what is your major ?

3- It seems that you have been interested and involved with palms from your young age, so how come you never moved to any more suitable area to grow palms ( or maybe you have and I don't know) , imagine you were in Hawaii and with this effort and knowledge, what king of garden you would grow from seeds :yay:

Thanks again

Mohsen

1 - Statistically I grew up 98% from seeds, 1% from seedlings, and 1% from juvenile plants (in the 1960s and 70s it was very hard to get palm seeds). At present the only seedlings not grown up by myself are presents from Kai (actually I asked him only for Lytocaryum hoehnei seedlings).

2 - I tried to teach analytic scientific methods, and not to believe evident nonsense even if peer reviewed by mainstream scientists (one example: »Comets brought water to Earth« etc.).

3 - Palms were only one of my hobbies. My first interests were the history of our planet Earth (minerals, fossils) as part of our solar system, our galaxy, etc. The main problem I had in the 1960s was (again) the main stream in sciences: Things  taught in majors like astronomy were (and are) evidently only very strange »theories« contradicting all (!) observations (made & published by themselves) and physical laws. — But I was also interested in (ancient) languages, the older the better (that’s one reason why my active English performance is quite bad, because the English language is too new).

• Upvote 2