IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pal Meir

On 21.7.2016, 18:41:29, Pal Meir said:

@caixeta And after 93 days germinated the 7th baby N°1608: :wub: I hope it won’t die like N°1606 … :(

5790fa6ab64b1_N16082016-07-21P1020313.th

Oops, not »after 93 days« but after 114 days seedling N°1608 germinated … :rolleyes: (And it is still white and healthy :), not glassy like N°1606†.)

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

On 08/05/2016, 11:15:17, Pal Meir said:

The baby boom is continuing, until now 5/10 germinated already within 40 days: :D

572f1157c9131_N16052016-05-08IMG_8587.th

572f115ad2aea_N16052016-05-08IMG_8589.th

Its odd how the end of the radicle looks flat, like its been cut. I would imagine the radicle to go to a fine point like > rather than ]

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

2 hours ago, Howeadypsis said:

Its odd how the end of the radicle looks flat, like its been cut. I would imagine the radicle to go to a fine point like > rather than ]

The end of the seed petiole is a little pointed, and this pointed detail will become the tip of the radicle:

579385941f117_N16082016-07-23P1020340.th

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Kai said:

So now I feel obliged to post an update of my little one... 

Almost fruiting!

… and almost trunking, too! :greenthumb::D

I’ll post my Monthly Update on 31 July, so all you interested PTs please be patient! :interesting:

And no news from all the other L itapebiense growers? :huh:

49 minutes ago, Kai said:

That's a shame, but a positive mind will be happy with the healthy plants that came forth from the germinated seeds. 

You can bury the deceased under a layer of "grabdekor" Pal. That way they can have a worthy ceremony.

Now I have to bury already 4 seeds … :( – I am also concerned about the latest two seedlings because their growth is even 15 days after germination much slower than the progress of the earlier five seedlings was in May: :blush:

57a3590c7bdaa_N1608072016-08-04IMG_8871.

9 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

N°1608 shows some progress :unsure:, …

57a715564c5d0_N16082016-08-07P1020481.th

… but N°1607 doesn’t grow any more since end of July :(;

@Bananengeknl how does your seedling do?

57a7157ceebfe_N16072016-08-07P1020482.th

Looks like germination isn't all there is to it... follow-up and caring for the freshly germinated seeds is also very important. It seems every growing stage has it's own requirements for care, even though I don't think that the "dead-end" seed has anything to do with Pal's palmcaring techniques!

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...

The 3rd issue of Itapebi Monthly presents again the healthy four seedlings N°1601 to 04; the first three are already pushing the 2nd leaf: :)

57c6ad4a4efd6_N1601-042016-08-31P1020697

57c6ad502f508_N1601-042016-08-31P1020698

57c6ad56e780b_N1601-042016-08-31P1020701

Their sweet little home: ^_^

57c6ad5e8cc43_N1601-042016-08-31P1020707

N°1608 is still in a problematic state; it doesn’t look good at all like an undead: :(

57c6ad63266d5_N16082016-08-31P1020710.th

And no breaking news from the rest of the itapebiense world? :huh:

14 minutes ago, Kai said:

No breaking news Pal. I will update with a picture of my little seedling soon. It's very very slow. Maybe that's just an illusion because I check it every day and don't really notice its growth...

No news can be also good news :mellow:, your baby should look like N°1604 (which is only 2 days older) in the photos above. When you can see the tip of the 2nd leaf it would be a good occasion for posting an update. :greenthumb:

• 2 weeks later...

After the first three seedlings had shown the tips of their 2nd leaf already on August 26 and 30, today also the fourth seedling N°1604 presented its woolly tip of the spear of the 2nd leaf. :wub:

@Kai I think your N°1605 too will push the 2nd leaf within the next days (or did it already).

And now news from all the other itapebiense growers? :huh:

57ddba6b305be_N16042016-09-17P1020789.th

I'm growing a littlebit concerned about my seedling Pal. There is no sign of the 2nd leaf yet and the 1st leaf is not finished. It appears to be falling behind. Also I noticed a small brown tip at the end of the leaf which implies some trouble. I keep monitoring...

tmp_32513-20160919_111705-832495656.thum

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

9 hours ago, Kai said:

I'm growing a littlebit concerned about my seedling Pal. There is no sign of the 2nd leaf yet and the 1st leaf is not finished. It appears to be falling behind. Also I noticed a small brown tip at the end of the leaf which implies some trouble. I keep monitoring...

I don’t know what happened, but the wilted tip of the leaf is matter of concern. Maybe caused by:

(1) Overwatering? (2) Fertilizer? (3) Air too humid? (Spraying water?) (4) Wet foot?

Pal, number 3 and 4 can be ruled out immediately as the air is not very humid in the room and I don't spray the leaves. The water can drain and the pot has never been standing in water.

That leaves 1 overwatering and 2 fertilizer. There is a possibillity that I mistook the water with liquid fertilizer that I use for larger plants and unknowingly gave it to the seedling. I actually hope that this is the case and not something more serious. It would have happened some time ago (about 3 weeks maybe) so the seedling has been watered with regular water several times and might recover.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You may ask :huh: why I am posting this monthly update (of a kind of snail race :asleep:). It is meant for all (?) those PalmTalkers (e.g. @Kai, @Bananengeknl) who too have seedlings of this most rare (and in its habitat extinct :bemused:) species and would like to know :indifferent: if their very valuable seedlings are growing »normal« compared to my four (or 5) seedlings. :mellow:

If this continuing posting should not be necessary any more or of too limited interest I’ll quit this »germination« thread, because all my seeds have already germinated (or are rotten). :interesting:

• Upvote 1

Pal, please don't quit your wonderfull documention! I for one enjoy this thread very much and offer my humble apologies for not replying as much as I would want to. I will post an update of my seedling as soon as any significant progress is noticed. You know my seedling has created some distance in this snail race compared to yours. The 2nd leaf emerging will be displayed here with cake, beer, wine and cheering, but it still hasn't happened yet. There is growth however...

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands