Sign in to follow this  
Chipdoo

Trachycarpus Takil

Chipdoo

Zone 7a, LI, NY

Endured the same temps as described for my Fortunei (14 degrees w/ strong winds). This one was left uncovered about 4 days. Its a small 1 1/2 footer in the ground.

Suffered bad leaf burn but appears to be alive!

Ampli

Eight seedlings, about six months old, in a north facing veranda, have two low of -3.7°C (25.4 F), one of -2.9°C (26.8 F) and more subzero night.

All un-damaged.

Rade

T. takil is the most hardy palm on the world. After -20,3°C (-4°F) plant about 60 cm with trunk up to 20 cm were burned only 50% of foliage! The remaining half of leaves were green and live. Palm was in wooden box, without heating, where was about -17°C (1,4°F) :greenthumb: .

Explorer

T. takil is the most hardy palm on the world. After -20,3°C (-4°F) plant about 60 cm with trunk up to 20 cm were burned only 50% of foliage! The remaining half of leaves were green and live. Palm was in wooden box, without heating, where was about -17°C (1,4°F) :greenthumb: .

Thats interesting! You get a real Trachycarpus takil? Well the cold hardiest palms are still Rhapidophyllum and Sabal minor. But T. takil will be the coldhardiest of the Trachycarpus then.

I have plenty seedlings here from Kalamuni. And if they will be coldhardier then Trachycarpus fortunei that will be great! We can get minus 20 C and colder here in the country now and then.Especially a bit farther from the coast where I live. I had -18 C as the coldest here.

Alexander