IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Transfer shock?

Funkthulhu

Anybody else have a problem with transfer shock, when you take all your pots outside in the spring?  

Mostly this happens to my non-palms; all the leaves burn up, dry out, and fall off the avocado for example.  But it also happens to my palms a bit.  Mostly sunburning, but also some browning of older fronds.

I realize my overwinter-lighting will never be as strong as the sun on even a cloudy day, but is there anything I can do to prevent the shock to the plants?

If I put them out too early the wind whips them to crap, and if I put them out too late they all fry.  I'm tired of waiting until June or later to see everything grow back in with new healthy leaves.

Suggestions?

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Slowly acclimate them by putting them in partial shade for a few hours each day for about a week and then bringing them back inside every evening followed by a week of full sun for a few hours and back inside during evenings. This allows them to build up strength and resistance against the elements. 

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

I put them under a fixed pergola with bamboo mats cover for 2-3 weeks (no wind and little to no direct sunexposure).

however: Today i noticed sunburn on one of my chaemadorea, where the sun peekd in from side so be carefull!

Depends on the species. Any Pindo or Queen, no issue. I throw them out in full sun and they don't blink. Most others seem to suffer some sort of set back.

I tried these methods and still managed to crisp some of my Ravenea rivularis fronds, and it's still early in the season.:bummed:

Alas, I am not allowed to build a pergola on my balcony...

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

• 3 weeks later...

I too have been dealing with this with my Dracaena Marginata. I've had this for the last 6 years and its always thrived! Last year I even bundled it up, and packed it away in my large suit case and took it to California with me on the train (3 day trip). When I got there I potted it up, and kept it outside the whole week I was there to soak up the sunshine! I then bundled it back up and packed it away again in my suitcase for the trip home. Haha, its a great plant.  

I keep it in our living room near a Southwest facing bay window during the Fall/Winter, and then in Spring/Summer I keep it in our unheated sun-room. Temps here are now maintaining 55-60F all the time (even at night). I have to rotate it every now and again to keep it growing somewhat vertical. I moved it into our sun-room until Fall a couple days ago. It was pretty vibrant and perky and then the next day I got home from work to find all its leaves drooping. I've since watered it and its been perking back up. I have noticed its leaves have begun to brown on the ends and there's some damage to the middle of some of the leaves. 

I think its the adjustment to all the light and temps that's probably causing it. 

IMAG1446.jpg

IMAG1449.jpg

IMAG1450.jpg

Edited by RobustaEnvirons

Richard Berry 

Toledo, Ohio. Zone 6b, along the Western Shores of Lake Erie. I'm a big Potted Palm enthusiast. I love the Washingtonia Robusta: its Resilient, Adaptable, and grows so rapidly. You can't keep it down; The Skyscraper Palm!