IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus Fortunei

Chipdoo

Zone 7a, LI, NY.

Endured 25-30 degree temps with no damage at all.

Then seen about 14 degree temps with strong winds for about 2-3 days (felt like it was zero with wind chill).

Entire plant turned light green and thinned out. No burn signs.

Covered it with plastic and added x-mas lights afterwards. Very cold temps followed 15-20 degrees for a month?

Uncovered about 4 weeks ago and dark green color is coming back and looking real healthy.

Also have a potted Fortunei which I left in the garage during all this cold. Tips began to turn brown. Pot seems like it was frozen. I moved it indoors. Center spear began to turn yellow/white. After about 2 weeks indoors, began growing rapidly (almost to say Thank you for saving me! :D )

• Upvote 1

LI, NY Zone 7a

This season's low temp was 17F in my yard Northeast of Atlanta.  During February temps routinely got into the low 20's F.  No sign of any damage whatsoever to my T. Fortunei.

• Upvote 1

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

• 3 years later...

Thats My Plant!!!rolleyes.gif

I live in Coulmbia Missouri and I have seen this Palm Tree get to -20 degrees before, Truly Amazing Palm.

I live in Zone 6a/6b

They live here and so do the Needle Palm, I am very restricted though.

• Upvote 1

"Love & Let Be Loved"

"Loyalty, Trust, Fate, and Desire leading Love through our deepest Burning Fires."

"If it don't apply let it fly... if the shoe fits...wear it Cinderella!"

"A Bad attitude is like a flat tire, you won't get anywhere until you change it"

"A Boy makes excuses and A Man makes Change"

~Eric G. Plott~

• 5 weeks later...

Hey,

i've got some in my garden. Our last winter was very cold and long even for german winters. We had -17C° and more then one month with only one day above +1C°

the Trachycarpus fortunei had only protection on their roots. All fonds died in spring and in summer their get new fonds till now at least 4 each Palm.

Other parts in Germany "south" they had -26C° in Winter for the same period as we had here in the northern part of Germany. Even there some T. Fortunei survived.

But anyway there are many difference in the Trachys somethimes there are weaker trachys which gonna die on -14C°. So the best way to get the hardest is buy some more put them in garden and test it out.

best regards

Andy

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

What would we be without them! At least one palm wich is realy doing well here in our palm-unfriendly climate! Here they have survived in some place -20 and even colder. But there is variability in coldhardiness. Some are les hardy. I grow them from seeds and leave them in the ground in the open on an allotment so the weak ones die the strong and best ones survive!

And Trachycarpus fortunei 'Tesan' should be even hardier! It comes from cold places like Tianshui and Xian in Central China. And they are planted in Beijng.

Alexander

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Definitely the hardiest palm in European climate! Last winter, my eight years old T.fortunei survived -30C with some (weak) protection. I think the temperature inside the protection was well below -20C.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
Hello there,
T. fortunei (with T takil) is only species of palm, which is able to grow in Czech republic (and Central Europe overall). Neither Rhapidophyllum or, for example Nannorrhops aren´t able to grow as those Trachycarpuses. But neither Trachycarpuses are not without problems. There in Czech rep. we commonly must heating all palms, if we want healthy green leaves on spring <_< . But Trachycarpus have the biggest moisturetightness and leaves of plant with trunk 50cm and above, survive about -12°C (10°F) and in our experience, whole plant is able to survive about -16/-18°C (3/0°F). Problem of our winters is, that those temperatures may be several days or a few weeks, which is it, what´s palm killing. So, if We want palms, we must heat :rolleyes: .
Boskovice, Moravia, Czech republic.

USDA zone 6. AHS zone 3-4.

My Trachycarpus experiences:

2009- Tmin -17°C.. palm alive, but leaves was dead

2010- Tmin -16°C.. palm alive, but leaves was dead

2011- Tmin -20°C.. palm was dead! All of Trachycarpus!

2012- Tmin -11°C.. palm was alive, leaves was alive

• 2 years later...

My 4 year old Trachy endured temperatures as low as 13F (-10.6C) this winter with no damage, leaves do darken however.

• 5 months later...

hello palm lovers.  I am from eastern mid Connecticut.  I saw a video by a gardener named DR.Z has a trachycarpus palm since 2005 according to daves garden.  he made a video in 2012 about his trachy and his musa bananas.  he wraps the palm like a fig tree slimier to this.  On DG there was another review by a guy from lebanon of the fortunei and under the trachy "waggie" someone from Connecticut gave it a positive.   every review stated they were wrapped and some had christmas lights.  Ive heard they can survive down to -5 degrees F and the lowest it got in Connecticut last year was -9.  with heavy insulating and wrapping, and maybe even Christmas lighting, do you think i will be as successful as the other trachy growers in my state?

insulated_fig_tree1.thumb.jpg.d6e9cab653

• 5 months later...

Potted 5g trunking windmills 12 degrees in the shade, alive and zero spearpull. 

Ten mature 11-13' clear trunk specimens planted in Abilene, TX zone 6b, dropped to single digits and then below -2f. All foliage burned, have now grown 6-12" of new green growth. See pics.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

trachycarpus with full sized trunks/spears can keep leaves till around 10F.  I cover mine and heat when forecasted below 14F or so.  Smaller palms may spear pull at temps below 21F but will generally recover with hydrogen perozide/copper fungicide treatments.  Below 10F or so you will lose fronds and or entire plant at temps from 0F-10F depending on duration/etc.  Mine is heated with mini Christmas lights on a thermocube and you must have a enclosure or wrap with frost cloth.  Trachy in pots I move inside if temps are under 18F but they may be able to take colder.  

Below is a pic of minimum size palm for full cold hardiness showing full size trunk.  Full size palms have noticeably thicker/tougher spears up to the diameter of a quarter.  

IMG_2212.JPG

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

• 1 month later...

Saw around 8F in 2018 lost the spear but grew back like nothing happened. Saw what I thought was around 4F lost all Spears and foliage completely burned. Worst side of my house where the ground would stay frozen for hours after everything else thawed. Will be trying them in a better setting and see what they can do, but as of now it seems setting is key for my z7 garden.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

• 3 years later...

2022 low of 12F multiple snow ice events all Trachycarpus fortunei saw minor frond spots from cold damage.  Not visible at distance.

trachy frond damage.jpg

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F