IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Advice for Med Fan planting

earthworm73

We are supposed to get 80F (26C) at my house tomorrow and thought it was time to put both of my Med fan palms into ground since they both are very root bound 5g. i will be putting one in a raised bed. That bed is about 20 inches deep and when I filled it with soil a couple years ago I used a 3-way of compost, sand, topsoil. It appears to be well draining and though all of the rain storms during the rainy season there never has been any standing water. I usually add compost and used coffee grounds in spring. Should I add sand to the planting hole when I put in the chamaerops in the raised bed for even more approved drainage?

The other area the var. argentea will go and this is the best micro climate at my house and will have a long strip of concrete sidewalk on inches from the hole providing extra heat and  it will be approx 1ft from the south wall of my house. This soil has a few inch layer of fertile soil from sheet composting I did a few years ago and underneath that will be good ole PNW clay and rock. For this hole should I also add sand for even more improved drainage?

I just wanna make sure these two palms drain well. The last time I tried CH several years ago it did not go well. But I don't want to create the dreaded "tub" affect and retard the roots from exploring out.

No, it will be more than happy right there.  A raised bed of any soil is good enough for a med fan and there isn't any need to treat it like an encephalartos.