Sign in to follow this  
earthworm73

Advice for Med Fan planting

earthworm73

We are supposed to get 80F (26C) at my house tomorrow and thought it was time to put both of my Med fan palms into ground since they both are very root bound 5g. i will be putting one in a raised bed. That bed is about 20 inches deep and when I filled it with soil a couple years ago I used a 3-way of compost, sand, topsoil. It appears to be well draining and though all of the rain storms during the rainy season there never has been any standing water. I usually add compost and used coffee grounds in spring. Should I add sand to the planting hole when I put in the chamaerops in the raised bed for even more approved drainage?

The other area the var. argentea will go and this is the best micro climate at my house and will have a long strip of concrete sidewalk on inches from the hole providing extra heat and  it will be approx 1ft from the south wall of my house. This soil has a few inch layer of fertile soil from sheet composting I did a few years ago and underneath that will be good ole PNW clay and rock. For this hole should I also add sand for even more improved drainage?

I just wanna make sure these two palms drain well. The last time I tried CH several years ago it did not go well. But I don't want to create the dreaded "tub" affect and retard the roots from exploring out.

TexasColdHardyPalms

No, it will be more than happy right there.  A raised bed of any soil is good enough for a med fan and there isn't any need to treat it like an encephalartos.

earthworm73

Ok thanks. Do you give them a small does of granular slow release fert at planting?