IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

One of my favorite orchids

Kevin S

I thought I'd post some pics of one of my favorite orchids.  Laelia anceps.  I have been growing this orchid outside on a tree for years.                                                                    It does pretty well here in Southern California. It flowers for me every winter time like it's giving me a Christmas present.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 9

Totally agree, one of the best, Cattleya-type orchids for CA.. Mine never flinched outside on a Bottlebrush tree in San Jose.  If i'm not mistaken, a number of Cattleya/ Laelia crosses that express high levels of Laelia in their DNA can exhibit a fair amount of temperature tolerance.. I'm sure Epiphyte would know this best.  One of the few orchids id try outdoors here in the desert as well. Thanks for sharing:greenthumb:

Looking through last year's photos I found a better shot of the purple one.  This orchid was the very first orchid I grew on a live tree.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 4

Really nice!  The texture of your tree's bark is so good!  What kinda tree is it?  

A few years back I sowed a fairly wide variety of orchid seeds on my Cedar tree here in SoCal and quite a few of them germinated.  All the seedlings have turned out to be Laelia anceps.   What's interesting is that there's a large disparity in their performance.  Even though they all germinated around the same time... some are still years away from blooming while the largest might bloom for the first time this year.   I'm not sure if this growth disparity is because of difference in microhabitats or genetics.  

One drawback of the Mexican Laelias is that none of them, that I know of, are naturally pollinated here in SoCal.  I'm guessing that we don't have the right size bee.  However, there are quite a few orchids that are pollinated by hummingbirds.  Here are some in the Cattleya alliance...

Alamania punicea
Arpophyllum spicatum
Broughtonia sanguinea
Guarianthe aurantiaca
Nageliella purpurea
Neocogniauxia monophylla
Prosthechea vitellina
Isochilus major
Laelia milleri
Scaphyglottis aurea
Scaphyglottis imbricata
Sophronitis cernua

Some of these have already been crossed with Laelia anceps...

Laelia anceps x Broughtonia sanguinea = Laelonia Leilani
Laelia anceps x Guarianthe aurantiaca = Laelianthe Meadow Gold
Laelia anceps x Laelia (Cattleya) milleri = Laeliocattleya Newberry Glow

I'm guessing that the flowers of these crosses are still too large for hummingbirds to pollinate.  But it would be great to have a perfect continuum of flower sizes for the hummingbirds to choose from.  That way... even if we don't have the time/energy to pollinate the flowers and/or sow the seeds.... there's still a chance that we might end up with some seedlings on our trees that are better adapted to our conditions.  

Silas_Sancona, not sure if you've already seen it... but the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson has a nice profile on Guarianthe aurantiaca.  If you're going to try Laelia anceps in Phoenix it would be neat if you competed/compared it with Guarianthe aurantiaca.  I'd be very interested to know who the winner would be.  

• Upvote 3

Hmm.

Just thing to hang on the Archies! :drool::drool:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, epiphyte said:

Really nice!  The texture of your tree's bark is so good!  What kinda tree is it?  

A few years back I sowed a fairly wide variety of orchid seeds on my Cedar tree here in SoCal and quite a few of them germinated.  All the seedlings have turned out to be Laelia anceps.   What's interesting is that there's a large disparity in their performance.  Even though they all germinated around the same time... some are still years away from blooming while the largest might bloom for the first time this year.   I'm not sure if this growth disparity is because of difference in microhabitats or genetics.  

One drawback of the Mexican Laelias is that none of them, that I know of, are naturally pollinated here in SoCal.  I'm guessing that we don't have the right size bee.  However, there are quite a few orchids that are pollinated by hummingbirds.  Here are some in the Cattleya alliance...

Alamania punicea
Arpophyllum spicatum
Broughtonia sanguinea
Guarianthe aurantiaca
Nageliella purpurea
Neocogniauxia monophylla
Prosthechea vitellina
Isochilus major
Laelia milleri
Scaphyglottis aurea
Scaphyglottis imbricata
Sophronitis cernua

Some of these have already been crossed with Laelia anceps...

Laelia anceps x Broughtonia sanguinea = Laelonia Leilani
Laelia anceps x Guarianthe aurantiaca = Laelianthe Meadow Gold
Laelia anceps x Laelia (Cattleya) milleri = Laeliocattleya Newberry Glow

I'm guessing that the flowers of these crosses are still too large for hummingbirds to pollinate.  But it would be great to have a perfect continuum of flower sizes for the hummingbirds to choose from.  That way... even if we don't have the time/energy to pollinate the flowers and/or sow the seeds.... there's still a chance that we might end up with some seedlings on our trees that are better adapted to our conditions.  

Silas_Sancona, not sure if you've already seen it... but the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson has a nice profile on Guarianthe aurantiaca.  If you're going to try Laelia anceps in Phoenix it would be neat if you competed/compared it with Guarianthe aurantiaca.  I'd be very interested to know who the winner would be.  

I saw that article, as well as some of the other Orchid species ASDM has documented on the research trips to the areas in and around Alamos. Itching to start trialing some of these, and more Laelias / L. crosses. It surprised me how both L. anceps and L. gouldiana struggled in Florida even though they were kept under dappled light.

As far as pollinators, i wonder if the orchid bees that have established themselves in Fl. would work their magic on this genus. Really neat to watch regardless.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmm.

Davey boy.. i think it might be time to roar on up to Santa Barbie.. for a visit to a certain "estate":greenthumb: 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I saw that article, as well as some of the other Orchid species ASDM has documented on the research trips to the areas in and around Alamos. Itching to start trialing some of these, and more Laelias / L. crosses. It surprised me how both L. anceps and L. gouldiana struggled in Florida even though they were kept under dappled light.

As far as pollinators, i wonder if the orchid bees that have established themselves in Fl. would work their magic on this genus. Really neat to watch regardless.

I'm glad to hear that you're interested in conducting some orchid selection trials!  I think that most of the Mexican Laelias are found in higher elevations... which might explain their reluctance to thrive in Florida.  One exception is Laelia rubescens.  I'm guessing that Phoenix is hotter than Florida so I wouldn't bet much money on Laelia anceps winning the competition.  I'd bet more money on its crosses with lower elevation orchids.   Perhaps the best cross will thrive in heat but have no problem handling a good freeze.   

Oh, my memory just kicked in.  On one of the orchid forums there's a fairly active member who lives in Phoenix... estación seca.  Nothing beats local knowledge!?  Or... two heads are better than one!?  

Not sure about the orchid bees in Florida working their magic on the Laelias... but it seems like they've started to work their magic on Guarianthe skinneri.  According to this source... the introduced orchid bees aren't larger than regular honey bees.  Maybe the honey bees aren't interested in skinneri?  A few times I've found dead honey bees in the flowers of my hybrid Cattleyas.  Evidently they were interested in the flowers... but then they got stuck to the sticky part and were unable to free themselves.  So maybe it's not about the bees' size or interest... but about their strength?  

I practically grew up going to orchid clubs watching slideshows of orchid growers going to habitat to collect specimens.  I always like the species orchid Photos of them up in the tree in habitat.  My city tree out front is a flowering pear which has the best bark I believe for growing orchids on.  But I still can't wait till I get some big palm trees that I can attach some orchids too in Hawaii because I could plant many different types of orchids outside over there.  Imagine a whole tree covered in Sherry baby  that would smell awesome when it's in flower.

One thing I know when I was growing up around here there were a lot more orchid growers and nurseries around all the local ones are all gone  Who can compete with all the imports of flowering orchids from Asia.  I think now the best orchid nursery around is Trader Joe's Ha ha.  I remember my parents paying hundred dollars for one plant.  And now you could just get orchid plants for $15 all day long at big-box stores and Trader Joe's.

I know if you want to get a orchid to go to seed it is not all that hard to handle pollinate one.  The hardest part would be put the seeds in a flask and waiting a few years.

Do you think you get posted another picture of your  Laelia anceps baby orchid on your tree?  I would love to see the progress.

6 hours ago, epiphyte said:

I'm glad to hear that you're interested in conducting some orchid selection trials!  I think that most of the Mexican Laelias are found in higher elevations... which might explain their reluctance to thrive in Florida.  One exception is Laelia rubescens.  I'm guessing that Phoenix is hotter than Florida so I wouldn't bet much money on Laelia anceps winning the competition.  I'd bet more money on its crosses with lower elevation orchids.   Perhaps the best cross will thrive in heat but have no problem handling a good freeze.   

Oh, my memory just kicked in.  On one of the orchid forums there's a fairly active member who lives in Phoenix... estación seca.  Nothing beats local knowledge!?  Or... two heads are better than one!?  

Not sure about the orchid bees in Florida working their magic on the Laelias... but it seems like they've started to work their magic on Guarianthe skinneri.  According to this source... the introduced orchid bees aren't larger than regular honey bees.  Maybe the honey bees aren't interested in skinneri?  A few times I've found dead honey bees in the flowers of my hybrid Cattleyas.  Evidently they were interested in the flowers... but then they got stuck to the sticky part and were unable to free themselves.  So maybe it's not about the bees' size or interest... but about their strength?  

Oh yes, lol..  Have Laelia anceps, Cattleya alba, a few of the hardier Dendrobiums, some Brassavolas ( mainly nodosa clones/crosses) and a couple Maxillaria tenuifolia ( won't ever give up on those ) atm. Left all the more delicate orchids back in Fl or had given them away sometime ago. Aside from the Laelia/catteleya type plants id like to trial, i have spent 4 years trying to track down a specimen of Crytopodium punctatum, aka the bee swarm orchid. ADSM supposedly has one of these in their collection and it may be one of those unexpected species worth cultivating in the desert, in shade of course.

You're likely correct regarding why those two Laelias struggled under Florida's hot/humid conditions.

You may be onto something regarding X species of bee being strong enough to pull off pollination.I know that many Orchids have specific species which only pollinate that specific orchid or genus of orchids. No doubt they would have to evolve physically to be able to handle all the different ways Orchids go about reproduction.  We have a couple Leaf cutting type bee species locally and i can't imagine honey bees pulling off some of the same feats that the leaf cutters do. They nest in old snags of a lead tree ( yes, we have this horrible weed tree here in Phoenix) in the yard and i can stand among them observing their behavior and haven't yet been stung. There's also a resident Ornate Tree Lizard that hangs out among them and isn't bothered.

I love the fragrance of Brassavolas at nighttime years ago I put one in the tree but it did not make it :( 

Looking at photos from Wayback in 2012  I took a ladder up the tree and took some photos from above. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Here are a couple recent shots of the largest anceps that germinated on my tree...

26498201855_8d93aa85af.jpgLaelia anceps by Epiphyte, on Flickr

A more zoomed in shot...

25895369993_805e91a501.jpgLaelia anceps by Epiphyte, on Flickr

For the past couple years it's produced two new shoots a year.  My mature anceps don't do this.  I'm guessing it's because they use the energy to bloom rather than to grow more.  

Last year I found a few more seedlings on my tree.  Here's a picture of one that germinated right next to the roots of a Vanda tricolor...

26405886392_c530c2d58d.jpgNew Orchid Seed Germinated On My Tree by Epiphyte, on Flickr

You can't tell in the photo but the leaves appear somewhat fleshy and the backs of them are speckled red.  I'm really hoping it's Brassavola Jiminy Cricket (nodosa x digbyana) x Psychilis krugii.  A few feet above where this seedling germinated is a Brassavola Jiminy Cricket that I pollinated with pollen from Psychilis krugii.  A pod developed but I didn't get around to harvesting it.  Last year I found around 5 or so seedlings under the Jiminy Cricket but this year I've only managed to find two.  

Edited by epiphyte
  • Upvote 4

Thanks for sharing some baby pics of your orchids.  Looking forward to you posting some photos when they're in flower.

Lovely photos of a lovely genus. The hybrids with anceps do fine here but I think the species prefer it a little cooler than my farm. Thanks for all the good information!

Cindy Adair

Laelia anceps mounted on a cork face hanging on my back stairs has quickly attached a half-dozen roots to the wood of the stair railing. Guess I won't be moving that plant anytime soon. It bloomed well this past fall.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

• 7 months later...
On 4/15/2016, 12:47:32, DoomsDave said:

Hmm.

It's the season for Laelia's to start blooming.  Laelia gouldiana "Greta Garbo" was one of my earlier bloomers this autumn.  I have attached a couple of Laelia's to Archonto's but still growing most on sticks.  I saw a number of gouldiana's in bloom for sale this weekend at Andy's Orchids, which is just up the hill from me here in Leucadia.  It is like going into a candy store visiting his open houses.

20161201-LI9A5730.jpg

• Upvote 5

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Christmas came early. One of my orchids is in flower now.  It's really high up in the tree though but it's always nice to see it in flower.  

IMG_8791.JPG

• Upvote 5

I bought a few Laelia anceps last winter and put them outside here in Houston on slabs of cork bark on a fence with some shade. I was afraid they would croak with the reports from Florida, but they've actually done quite well and are blooming right now. They got almost no supplemental water, but this was a very wet and humid year even by Texas standards. I suspect these could survive here long term with protection during the severe freezes once every ten to fifty years or so.

• Upvote 2

On 12/6/2016, 6:47:01, Kevin S said:

Christmas came early. One of my orchids is in flower now.  It's really high up in the tree though but it's always nice to see it in flower.

Nice Kevin!  Is this in California or Hawaii?  I'll guess it is California, as it resembles a Laelia and it is the season for many of the species to be blooming.

22 minutes ago, necturus said:

I suspect these could survive here long term with protection during the severe freezes once every ten to fifty years or so.

Sounds like Laelia anceps is a worthy candidate for you, if freezes are that far apart.  Even if you don't get them in for those rare times, if you can get 10 years of enjoyment out of them, that sounds pretty great.  My wife has a friend who was throwing out phalaenopsis orchids once they are done blooming, so my wife volunteered my outside garden for their home.  We are the rescue, but not keeping them indoors.  If they survive, great if not....C'est la vie!  Hope you get pretty of life out of your Laelia's in Houston!!! 

I'm just waiting for this burst of Laelia anceps "vitchiana" to open.  Soon it has multiple stems which will each have 2 or 3 flowers each on them, so very showy!  Each year I get more blooms out of this plant.

20161204-104A4755.jpg

• Upvote 4

Just now, Tracy said:

vitchiana

Oops, Laelia anceps veitchiana, a typo.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful, Kevin, and I also love the lean on that tree.  The highly textured branches are perfect for orchid roots to attach too.

• Upvote 2

Kevin, is your tree a Pyrus kawakamii or P. calleryana?

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

On 1/3/2017, 4:48:19, Kevin S said:

Now my white with purple throat is in flower :)

IMG_9081.JPG

Looks to me like it is Laelia anceps veitchiana.  I say that because I'm growing the veitchiana.20161224-104A4930.thumb.jpg.5df2cea91453

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

Since all the cool kids are doing it...

32106611620_2441164dd9_c.jpg

Epiphytes VS Elements by Epiphyte, on Flickr

Maybe not the best pic... it was raining.  I thought it was kinda funny that there was a white Phal in the neighbor's window.  

I uploaded a short Youtube video of this Laelia enduring the rain and wind.  And here's my blog entry with some thoughts on the subject.

• Upvote 7

On 1/6/2017, 11:52:20, JasonD said:

Kevin, is your tree a Pyrus kawakamii or P. calleryana?

It is just a flowering pear tree.  I love the bark on it perfect for growing orchids and other pants on.

• 1 year later...

Seems like this year they flowered a lot later than normal usually they flower around right before Christmas time this time it was after Christmas.

8EE8BA0D-704E-4CFF-86FB-0030366F894D.jpeg

716B9335-7703-44E6-BF10-FBEB5E717BFB.jpeg

• Upvote 3

While I also noticed my Laelia anceps were late in blooming this year, other species were pretty much on time, such as L gouldiana.  It has been a mild winter here in Southern California, with lots of warm days.  It will be interesting to see what the spring blooming orchids do and if they stay on their normal schedule, bloom early or late. 

• 9 months later...

Laelia season is opening up, both literally and figuratively.  I was in the backyard this weekend, and noticed a humming bird which was hovering adjacent to the flowers on my Laelia anceps ssp Guerrero.  It could have been the adjacent hibiscus which attracted it and it just happened to be near the Laelia when I saw it.  Unfortunately, my movements caused it to fly away, so I don't really know if it was interested in the Laelia.  I don't know much about humming birds beyond that color appears to attract them.  This variety of Laelia is fragrant, so not sure if that plays into the humming bird's senses.

20181128-104A1752.jpg

• Upvote 3

Here is my plant of Laelia gouldiana, open now. This was given to me many years ago by my late, dear friend Garrin Fullington.

My L. anceps will open soon !

IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG

• Upvote 7

23 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Here is my plant of Laelia gouldiana, open now.

Mine is a little behind yours which made me wonder if it was just this year or if mine is opening a little later than usual.  The answer was no.  Mine appears to have waited until the beginning of December the last 3 years and will do so again this year.  Pretty amazing that I could almost determine the calendar by when it blooms. L gouldiana is another beauty as you  have shown!

• 4 weeks later...

Laelia anceps v. roeblingiana x Laelia anceps 'Gigas' opened just in time for Christmas... photo taken on Christmas Eve 2018.

20181224-104A2019.jpg

• Upvote 4

Nice splash petals. It will be a nice display when it becomes mature... These laelia anceps hybrids started to open in early december and some buds are opening up slowly due to coldder temperature...

First photo is L. anceps "Mendenhall" x L. anceps "Guerrero" and Cattleya "Chocolate Drops" x L. anceps "White Marbles"

20181225_070359.jpg

20181225_070436.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

My brother is very active in the orchid scene.  He’s won all sorts of awards for his plants/displays.  Here are some of his L anceps:

2AE4A186-D03F-4622-9ED1-970528D49690.jpeg

C337512B-E7B2-45C8-936E-033DAAE82EFD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24