PalmatierMeg

Dwarf Red Spicata germinated coconuts for sale

PalmatierMeg

We have calculated shipping for our dwarf Red Spicata germinated coconuts, so I am ready to post them in the Sale Forum. At the moment I have approximately 12 coconuts that have germinated and expect more any time. This dwarf coconut is one of the coolest I've ever seen. Last year I posted photos of my mother palm and PT consensus is that I have a dwarf red spicata possibly hybridized with another variety. Mother palm is approximately 20', with a trunk diameter of 30", long lime green fronds with yellow-orange petioles. Unripe coconuts are a spectacular shade of orange. This is the only flowering coconut in my yard of nearby so I am confident offspring will resemble their spectacular mother. So far that seems to be the case.

One germinated coconut = $25.00 (4-6 show spikes & roots so far, rest have roots)

Shipping varies depending on US destination zipcode: within FL = $11.00 per coconut; West Coast = $21.00; elsewhere = between $11 & $21 depending on zipcode

NOTE: Sorry, but I cannot ship coconuts outside the US. I have no permits or phyto certificates and am not a commercial nursery.

Payment via Paypal preferred (or by other arrangement)

If you are interested, please PM me

See photos below

57100b0c93c3d_Germinatedseeds014-9-16.th57100b16bfe15_Spike1of2014-9-16.thumb.JP57100b1e5e2b7_Spike2of2014-9-16.thumb.JP

Mother palm

57100b6039696_Cocosnuciferadwarfredspica57100b6679d63_Cocosnuciferadwarfredspica57100b8a80799_Cocosnuciferadwarfredspica57100ba51bf87_Cocosnuciferadwarfredspica57100bbbbe29e_Cocosnuciferadwarfredspica

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Josh-O
8 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

We have calculated shipping for our dwarf Red Spicata germinated coconuts, so I am ready to post them in the Sale Forum. At the moment I have approximately 12 coconuts that have germinated and expect more any time. This dwarf coconut is one of the coolest I've ever seen. Last year I posted photos of my mother palm and PT consensus is that I have a dwarf red spicata possibly hybridized with another variety. Mother palm is approximately 20', with a trunk diameter of 30", long lime green fronds with yellow-orange petioles. Unripe coconuts are a spectacular shade of orange. This is the only flowering coconut in my yard of nearby so I am confident offspring will resemble their spectacular mother. So far that seems to be the case.

One germinated coconut = $25.00 (4-6 show spikes & roots so far, rest have roots)

Shipping varies depending on US destination zipcode: within FL = $11.00 per coconut; West Coast = $21.00; elsewhere = between $11 & $21 depending on zipcode

NOTE: Sorry, but I cannot ship coconuts outside the US. I have no permits or phyto certificates and am not a commercial nursery.

Payment via Paypal preferred (or by other arrangement)

If you are interested, please PM me

See photos below

57100b0c93c3d_Germinatedseeds014-9-16.th57100b16bfe15_Spike1of2014-9-16.thumb.JP57100b1e5e2b7_Spike2of2014-9-16.thumb.JP

Mother palm

57100b6039696_Cocosnuciferadwarfredspica57100b6679d63_Cocosnuciferadwarfredspica57100b8a80799_Cocosnuciferadwarfredspica57100ba51bf87_Cocosnuciferadwarfredspica57100bbbbe29e_Cocosnuciferadwarfredspica

Meg, that variety look amazing!!  :) 

sashaeffer

Are these a bit more cold hardy than the regular coconut?

PalmatierMeg
11 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

Are these a bit more cold hardy than the regular coconut?

No.

• Upvote 1

junglegalfla

My spicata from Meg's original palm is still doing great! 

20220416_162015.jpg

• Like 8

PalmatierMeg

That's great, Bren

Listen up, y'all. This listing is 6 years old. I lost my mother palm to Hurricane Irma in 2017. Her four remaining offspring have yet to flower. I have no coconuts.

junglegalfla

If I can get some nuts to germinate, I'll offer some for sale. Meg is giving me tips. The palm is loaded.  This has been a beast in terms of growth in 6 yrs! 

20220417_161634.jpg

20220417_161619.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Wow I was just about to pm you Meg then reread seeing you no longer have the palm or seedlings =( 

T J 

junglegalfla

I apologize Meg. Just meant to show history. I should not have tagged this post. Please look for future posts from me if any nuts are viable from Meg's orig palm. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Dr Roland Bourdeix
      By Dr Roland Bourdeix
      Do you Know this kind of coconut variety? Here is one of the most extraordinary varieties of coconut tree! A Compact Green Dwarf of Kaipoa type, that the envelope of the young fruits is edible, tender and sweet. For the moment, a single specimen has been found in French Polynesia, on the Tuamotus archipelago, on the Katiu atoll… In most coconuts, the husk (fruit envelope) is hard and inedible. But sometimes the husk of the young fruit is sweet and can be chewed like sugar cane. Its taste resembles that of the heart of coconut palm…. I would like to know if somebody meets this variety in another country? See hd pictures here:
      https://coconutmuseum.blogspot.com/2022/02/cchf.html

• palmfriend
      By palmfriend
      Hi,
      I have mentioned a while ago that many of my palms were heavily attacked by rhinoceros beetles during the last year.
      When I started to spray and dilute last fall I might have missed the right time to get some of my palms back on track -
      in short words - TOO LATE.
      Two washies outside are definitely gone - they look horrible or what is left of them - but with these two coconut palms
      I am not sure. Please have a look.

This one got almost blown over during a typhoon a couple of years ago but seemed to recover.

Here are some of the entry spots where the beetles went inside.

This is how the crown looks now - rotten parts and the remains of death fonds, no new spears for more than half a year.

One more image...
      Here the other one - a green variation.

An almost empty crown...

Countless spots where the beetles attacked the palm.

A close shot of the crown - no growth/new spears for months, too...
      What do you think? Is there still hope or should I go for the blade? It is not the end of the world if I have to take them out because I have PLENTY of replacements
      but these were the first coconut palms I have planted when we bought the house adecade ago, so there is a sentimental element. However, please let me know what you think -

best regards 

Lars

• tokyopalmfan
      By tokyopalmfan
      Hi guys,
      I'm new to the forum and this will be my first post ever, so greetings to you all! 
      I've been following many discussions on this forum recently, so I thought I share some palm pics from my country - Japan - here as well. I travel a lot for business and privately, and I took these pics spontaneously in the last year or so.
      I always had a fascination for palms, but I'm still an amateur, so please forgive me if I can't identify some of them correctly  (I will try my best.)

First of all, some Washingtonias in Miyazaki City...

Canary Date Palm in a park in Fukuoka City...

Not sure about this species, but this is in Kobe (near Osaka)...

Christmas Palm (?) on Hahajima, an offshore island which belongs to Tokyo...

And finally, some Cocos nucifera pics. These are also on Hahajima island, along the beach.

Since we can't really exit the country right now due to limited international travel, I think I will be traveling more domestically. If anyone is interested, I will post more Japan palms along the way
    • PsyPalm
      By PsyPalm
      About a week ago I picked up a small cocos nucifera from a local plant shop here in Seattle.  Last night (after some deliberation and a whiskey or two) I decided to try and turn it into a bonsai piece.  This is my first ever attempt at bonsai as well as my first time growing cocos nucifera so I'm prepared for disaster lol.  I just wanted to share some pics of the process with you guys and see what you think
      My thinking is over the next few months the roots will grow down into the media of the bonsai pot, so when I remove the upper plastic sleeve I'll be able to remove the lava rock from underneath the coconut and have it be elevated above the soil on it's roots like stilts.
      The next step will be figuring out the best way to slice down the existing leaves and prune them into what will eventually become that small curled bonsai shape.  I've watched a lot of youtube tutorials on this and have an idea of how to do it, but if anyone has tips on the best way to do this I'm all ears, I'm pretty much winging it at this point so any help is appreciated! 
      Cheers guys! 
      Loch

• kbob11
      By kbob11
      Hi everyone,
           This is my first attempt at germinating a store bought coconut.  So far it has been doing well.  I am noticing the newest fronds coming out are lighter in color with some browning.  Is this normal?  I am not really familiar with trying these.  I know they need heat and humidity.  It is sitting on a pad on top of my radiator.  The room is kept at 50% humidity and inside the bag it’s probably closer to 70%.  Below are some pictures, sorry for the quality.