IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut or Attalea?

Danilopez89

This guys life cycle is done. And I'm glad!:)

IMG_20160406_5461.thumb.jpg.cf2d1b3273be

IMG_20160406_3702.thumb.jpg.b051edb81457

Now the question is, Coconut or Attalea?

This would be a great place for a coconut. Especially during winter because it would warm up quickly with that concrete. And would get full sun pretty much all day. 

An Attalea in the front would just look freaking awesome!:yay: 

• Upvote 1

In that tiny space? Attalea get huge. Coconut may be better fit. Both are tropical. How cold do you get? Do you get cold rain in winter? How hot do you get in summer?

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Attalea look awesome, but Meg's right. Check out the size of this A. cohune with my fiancée for scale (she's 5'9).

IMG_4547.thumb.JPG.cddc2e73aa389cc31ea5d

If you think it might fit though, give it a shot. 

• Upvote 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

In that tiny space? Attalea get huge. Coconut may be better fit. Both are tropical. How cold do you get? Do you get cold rain in winter? How hot do you get in summer?

Precisely what I was thinking.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

3 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Yeah. I should probably go with the coconut. 

Winters are cold and not coco friendly but some are growing in the surrounding areas, so I have to try growing one myself. This is not my first attempt...:crying:

I think you will succeed when you get a more cold hardy one:), you also learned from the previous run:). As for what you should plant, the coconut looks better in my opinion (and it fits better!) but it will be harder to grow. Besides one day you might even get your own coco to drink:)

• Upvote 1

I was thinking you might do better with a Beccariophoenix but they get huge. A coconut will need hot days and warm nights to grow its best. It won't photosynthesize when temps fall below 50F. A stretch of cold days and colder nights causes it to die by inches. Mine cold spot when nights fall into the 40s. And cold winter rains (I've had one bout in 2010) are death to tropical palms.

Meg

Florida

IMO, you don't have room for either.  While Attalea have a more upright habit, and take up less horizontal space, they still can get quite large.  Coco's take up way too much space for the first 7 years or so.  Unless you intend on removing the other palms you have planted there, I can't see how this could work.

• Upvote 1

you are removing the Bismarkia to make room I hope.

If not then maybe an Alcantaria to replace as it will be larger and more colourful.

You will lose the architectual form of the Bismarkia which is its feature.

Mine spread 5 meters radius.

Just my thoughts

Steve

I would say find a different spot for both palms, it would be way to crowded in that spot, as that Bismarkia is will fill out that area in no time.  Maybe a small palm or tropical plant for that area.

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

8 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I was thinking you might do better with a Beccariophoenix but they get huge. A coconut will need hot days and warm nights to grow its best. It won't photosynthesize when temps fall below 50F. A stretch of cold days and colder nights causes it to die by inches. Mine cold spot when nights fall into the 40s. And cold winter rains (I've had one bout in 2010) are death to tropical palms.

I already planted a double beccariophoenix in the opposite side of the driveway next to my other bismarck.

Growing a coconut is a real challenge here, but I'm willing to give a try a hopefully one day have one like these...

In Palm Desert Ca.IMG_20150618_13882.thumb.jpg.d512cf46501

and in La Quinta Ca.IMG_20150605_5299.thumb.jpg.431a24da0a6b

You can hardly see the two b. Alfredii's there to the right of the bismark. Ill try and get a better pic of it later.  Btw if I had a larger property I probably wouldn't plant everything so close to each other. Probably...!!!:bemused:

IMG_20160123_35771.thumb.jpg.bcea747f628

IMG_20160123_6592.thumb.jpg.09d6e08a7e4c

If you are that set on planting one of those palms in that area you should take out that queen and put the attalea in its place. Yes the concrete would provide some extra heat to the coconut but it will also have to compete with the bismarkia for nutrients and water. Since the bismark is obviously doing great already, it's going to easily out compete the coconut. As you have said coconuts are VERY VERY VERY marginal in your climate. If you are going to try you might as well put it in the spot with the absolute best chance at success. This is definitely not that spot. 

A Bismarckia & 2 B. alfrediis in that postage stamp & you want to add a Cocos and/or Attalea? Adjacent to a sidewalk? Wow. Must be a code violation somewhere. Sidewalks aren't private property.

Meg

Florida

Yank the queen and the CIDP, put the Attalea in the lawn a greater distance from the Bismarckia than the CIDP is now.  Put the coconut wherever-- it's not going to take up any room. :evil:

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

22 minutes ago, Kim said:

Yank the queen and the CIDP, put the Attalea in the lawn a greater distance from the Bismarckia than the CIDP is now.  Put the coconut wherever-- it's not going to take up any room. :evil:

Sound advice!

42 minutes ago, Kim said:

:drool:Now we're talking!

And you are right about the coconut. It'll probably die and not take up any room...:evil: 

You can "want" and :wish" all day long BUT your making a huge mistake if you plant either of the palms in that location.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I say do it. If you have been to Ralph Velez's house you would appreciate the urban jungle look.

+1 on the attalea the coco probably wont make it?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

43 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

I say do it. If you have been to Ralph Velez's house you would appreciate the urban jungle look.

I've never been there but I have seen pics. His place is way cool!

48 minutes ago, Jeff Searle said:

You can "want" and :wish" all day long BUT your making a huge mistake if you plant either of the palms in that location.

I decided to go with the coconut. I think it has a good chance of making it there. 

And I don't worry about making huge mistakes when it comes to planting palms. Im just having fun with the different looks it bring to my front yard.

Besides, I'm not even thinking long term here. Maybe 6-12 years. The way this country is going...:hmm:

Hehe just kidding! :rolleyes:  I'm gonna plant what ever I get my hands on and if any need to get chopped down in the future, so be it. Brrruumm, brrruumm!:evil:

7 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I have, twice. He has some remarkable palms growing there, but imo, many don't look very appealing. When palms are planted one and two feet from each other, and in every direction, most will never look like they should. Thin trunks, weak trunks, palms growing at a angle, etc. This type of planting is a c/f.

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

13 minutes ago, Jeff Searle said:

This type of planting is a c/f.

I can't stop laughing!  I am trying to picture the queen, CIDP, and Bismarckia in that close of proximity in another 4-5 years.  Even without adding anything else, and it reminds me of sitting in traffic at the Tijuana border crossing.  No question in my mind, I would extract the queen, and negotiate with my wife to take out the CIDP, then plant the Attalea or coconut.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

• 5 months later...

A few months later I finally decided to plant my attalea. :lol:

It was busting out of it pot with 4"-6" long roots making their way out. 

IMG_20160930_31285.thumb.jpg.30091b70827

My little helper. Always around when I'm doing something outside ^_^

IMG_20160930_17458.thumb.jpg.67e2582cc89

2 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

IMG_20160930_2317.thumb.jpg.791e7015bf62

IMG_20160930_34992.thumb.jpg.8d76483cf11

that will be a very nice statement piece in your yard in no time at all. I'm still drooling over Alan Valley macker attalea when I visited you last.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24