IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Place your bets! I Just dug a specimen ravenea xerophila

Josh-O

As usual I'm at it again digging specimen palms. Today I dug another good sized ravenea xerophila with perfect weather conditions. I'm not sure this guy will make it???? I give it a 50-50 chance since the dirt fell off the root ball and was pretty much bare rooted. I cauterized every single root that was cut during the dig process to ensure maximum moisture retention in the root system. I have had pretty good success with digging this species when most people say you can didg them.

lets see what happens in the next few months?

image1.jpeg.64ef7285fe45d7ac9900e98a540bimage2.jpeg.1bb47b129acc0e2222e49bf7bf2dimage3.jpeg.3bf5ca92624064754379f2ec17adimage4.jpeg.2ec696eaead41a7b7af5791e5629cauterized 

image5.jpegmy transport method

image6.jpegin the green house for recovery 

• Upvote 3

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I reckon it will survive.... I dug 2 good sized ones about 12 months ago.... 1 came out with rootball intact and 1 lost all soil etc....

I didn't give that one much chance but they both still alive and growing pretty well... 

Will post some pics later on today

4 minutes ago, Kennybenjamin said:

I reckon it will survive.... I dug 2 good sized ones about 12 months ago.... 1 came out with rootball intact and 1 lost all soil etc....

I didn't give that one much chance but they both still alive and growing pretty well... 

Will post some pics later on today

that's great news!!! I'm glad some one else has good success with digging these guys.

did you root prune and cauterize the roots?

Sunset zone 24

1 minute ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Doesn't look like too much root DAMAGE...I reckon it makes it too!

I hope so!!

Sunset zone 24

here are a couple more I dug up 2 weeks ago and both have pushed 1/2" of new growth. I'm still holding my breath

IMG_4359.JPG.7b8cd735fa4ee1f5797e3ac2156IMG_4360.JPG.4766c36a5bd95687a3e68d039b4IMG_4362.JPG.c76694b6821cd2027ea3f9dfc9e

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

Josh, 

Didn't you dig a big one about a year or so back? How did that turn out?

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

should be ok in your hands Josh !

Hey that is some Greenhouse did you buy it from Kew gardens UK :mrlooney:

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

The first pic was the suspect 1..... I did no root pruning or anything like that..... Just dug and put straight into bag and applied some seaweed solution 

second pic is the good one and third pic shows both with the suspect one on the right... They were the same size and the suspect one is now a bit thinner but it's alive and growing 12 months after being dug image.thumb.jpg.9a9aa62becf66fac32020e21image.thumb.jpg.85acac9145d280d7a18e6fcdimage.thumb.jpg.c80ac538c3bd1071d798656f

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Josh-O said:

As usual I'm at it again digging specimen palms. Today I dug another good sized ravenea xerophila with perfect weather conditions. I'm not sure this guy will make it???? I give it a 50-50 chance since the dirt fell off the root ball and was pretty much bare rooted. I cauterized every single root that was cut during the dig process to ensure maximum moisture retention in the root system. I have had pretty good success with digging this species when most people say you can didg them.

image1.jpeg.64ef7285fe45d7ac9900e98a540bimage2.jpeg.1bb47b129acc0e2222e49bf7bf2dimage3.jpeg.3bf5ca92624064754379f2ec17adimage4.jpeg.2ec696eaead41a7b7af5791e5629cauterized 

It looks like you have done everything right for its success.  You also have plenty of room to put some sensitive items in that greenhouse!  Why do I suspect that it won't be so wide open for long???

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

11 hours ago, Josh-O said:

First plant in the new greenhouse Josh?

And I would count on it making it!

11 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Josh, 

Didn't you dig a big one about a year or so back? How did that turn out?

Bret

good memory Bret!! :) 

I did dig one out a bit larger than this guy almost 2 yrs ago but I got a huge root ball.

It has since put out 4 leaves and is moving right along.

Sunset zone 24

10 hours ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

should be ok in your hands Josh !

Hey that is some Greenhouse did you buy it from Kew gardens UK :mrlooney:

Thanks Troy. so far I have not lost a single palm since I have been digging palms. I was a bit troubled when the dirt fell off the root ball though :( 

Sunset zone 24

9 hours ago, Kennybenjamin said:

The first pic was the suspect 1..... I did no root pruning or anything like that..... Just dug and put straight into bag and applied some seaweed solution 

second pic is the good one and third pic shows both with the suspect one on the right... They were the same size and the suspect one is now a bit thinner but it's alive and growing 12 months after being dug image.thumb.jpg.9a9aa62becf66fac32020e21image.thumb.jpg.85acac9145d280d7a18e6fcdimage.thumb.jpg.c80ac538c3bd1071d798656f

wow!! awesome job!

this gives me hope :) 

Sunset zone 24

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

It looks like you have done everything right for its success.  You also have plenty of room to put some sensitive items in that greenhouse!  Why do I suspect that it won't be so wide open for long???

Thanks Tracy,

I'll keep this thread updated on its progress.

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

First plant in the new greenhouse Josh?

And I would count on it making it!

yeah, not much in there.

I thought the heat would make it root out faster than If I left it inside??

Sunset zone 24