IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Biggest Beccariophoenix alfredii north of Monterey

cassowaryhill

10 hours ago, Aleitalyyy said:

hello sorry I don' t  understand...

but this in the picture is B.alfredii? Or the finestralis?

thank you

That is a Beccariophoenix madagascariensis. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

7 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

That is a Beccariophoenix madagascariensis. 

Hello alex... do you know where to find  these seeds online?on ebay I can not find anything...

On 

47 minutes ago, Aleitalyyy said:

Hello alex... do you know where to find  these seeds online?on ebay I can not find anything...

On 

Sorry... They're out of stock.

https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/beccariophoenix-madagascariensis

But search for Beccariophoenix alfredii: Same look, but a bit faster growing! 

:greenthumb: 

https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/beccariophoenix-alfredii?search=beccar

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Hello alex alfredii it seems to me less coconut...
It is more like madagascariensis hope to find soon 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 9:10 AM, GottmitAlex said:

I saw you grow super beautiful young coconuts ...

do you even have an alfredii to see a photo of you? Hi alex thank you

3 hours ago, Aleitalyyy said:

Thank you. Once I get home I'll take a photo of it. It's in between my cocos. But the alfredii is slower growing than the cocos. 

7 hours ago, Aleitalyyy said:

Bear in mind It's one of the slowest growing palns in my small garden. (D.plumosa right after it).

But it's a gorgeous palm.

The B. Alfredii is about 6 years old. While the coconuts that flank it ( left and right of the alfredii) are 3 years old. 

The largest coco (all the way to the right in the panoramic picture)  is 4 years old. (July 2016)

20201012_210337.jpg

20201012_210333.jpg

Screenshot_20201012-210822_WhatsApp.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 3/27/2016 at 5:13 PM, cassowaryhill said:

Yeah that's what I would have thought but there is the one guy that has them in full sun in Melbourne and no leaf burn. 

37*N doesn't really have very intense sunlight either. Even at the summer solstice the sun angle maxes out at 75* up from the horizon.

alex congratulations...your palms are super beautiful...alfredii is beautiful, but coconut look unbeatable.. i have 1 in the pot which i have now put in the house because the temperatures dropped below 10° degrees at night...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CodyORB said:

37*N doesn't really have very intense sunlight either. Even at the summer solstice the sun angle maxes out at 75* up from the horizon.

It’s not that simple down here at 38S. Because our summer sun typically coincides with dry air and often northerly winds, some palms that are fine in full sun up in NSW or QLD actually burn here or take ages to adjust to the conditions. A good example is A cunninghamiana, most exposed specimens here show sun and/or wind burn. All this being said, I’ve never had an issue with B alfredii in full sun here, in fact it seems to like it more than shaded spots from my experience. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

• 2 years later...

I was at Disneyland yesterday (4/15/2023)...here's the Beccariophoenix alfredii at the Disneyland Hotel.  

BECCARIO DISNEY 1.jpg

• Like 3

Keith you are cheating! Pebble is slightly north of Monterey (really I think only in part) but you said “south of Pebble.” Where is it? Carmel? Some little southwestern finger of Pacific Grove? I would think these Beccarios would be woefully unhappy (and slow as molasses) in that always-chilly area…

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)