IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Biggest Beccariophoenix alfredii north of Monterey

cassowaryhill

1 minute ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Sure...I picked one up at a big box to put in a 15g pot, which it will sit in a few years.  Have you had yours in any sun/outside?

They have been outside for 6 weeks in 3 hours of sun a day....

• Upvote 1

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Mine, but hey it is Louisiana so shocked they are  still alive, lol.  Keeping up TropicDocs faith.

IMG_8134.JPG

IMG_8135.JPG

IMG_8136.JPG

IMG_8155.JPG

• Upvote 7

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

On 25/3/2016, 3:48:15, cassowaryhill said:

All Very nice. Its hard to decide how to grow them here. Seeing we have the same weather as SanFran... Maybe more sunlight hours.. But move it full sun in winter? and then shade for Summer?

Hi there,

I think Melbourne can be very warm during local summer. In this respect it resembles Athens in Greece. maybe a semi shady spot would be better.

• Upvote 3

On 3/25/2016, 12:29:21, Pip said:

From what age should B. alfredii be planted out in full sun in climates similar to coastal California?

I had 2 in liners that I potted up to 1 gallons.  They were in full sun all summer next to a swimming pool.  They grew like weeds 

11 hours ago, _Keith said:

Mine, but hey it is Louisiana so shocked they are  still alive, lol.  Keeping up TropicDocs faith.

IMG_8134.JPG

IMG_8135.JPG

IMG_8136.JPG

IMG_8155.JPG

Keith, what's the coldest temps and duration at that temp that your  Alfies have experienced? 

7 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Hi there,

I think Melbourne can be very warm during local summer. In this respect it resembles Athens in Greece. maybe a semi shady spot would be better.

Yeah that's what I would have thought but there is the one guy that has them in full sun in Melbourne and no leaf burn. 

Edited by cassowaryhill
Mistake

I think Jeff Searles is the biggest .... 

But I think Lens looks the nicest ... :) 

32 minutes ago, cassowaryhill said:

Yeah that's what I would have thought but there is the one guy that has them in full sun in Melbourne and no leaf burn. 

These take 100+ degrees Fahrenheit, for days at a time (highs), in full sun, no worries.  These are full sun palms everywhere except perhaps extreme desert conditions, IMO.

• Upvote 3

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Definitely full sun in Melbourne, no problems

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

20 hours ago, _Keith said:

IMG_8134.JPG

IMG_8135.JPG

IMG_8136.JPG

IMG_8155.JPG

It looks good! It is about the same size as mine, but I've still got it in a pot... Need to find a place for it and get it planted. :)

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Beautiful thread!

My little "army" of beccarios has just popped out of their seeds (22 out of 24), so if no one minds,

I am going to join this competition...:D

But , anyway, thanks for all the pictures and the information about this species (when to put in full sun etc.),

I am really appreciating it. 

Just one question:

Is anything known about how storm proof they are?

best regards

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, palmfriend said:

Beautiful thread!

My little "army" of beccarios has just popped out of their seeds (22 out of 24), so if no one minds,

I am going to join this competition...:D

But , anyway, thanks for all the pictures and the information about this species (when to put in full sun etc.),

I am really appreciating it. 

Just one question:

Is anything known about how storm proof they are?

best regards

welcome to the club :) 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Today I went to the Melbourne  botanical gardens to find the sole Becarriophoenix alfredii... :) was quiet happy I found it! 

image.jpeg

Edited by cassowaryhill
  • Upvote 2

On 3/25/2016, 10:44:32, Ben in Norcal said:

That's still 10 years and no trunking specimens...I consider that pretty slow.

Mine is not ten years old but it is what it is--I am just happy for a good looking palm that is not showing any signs of stress.

• Upvote 1

Planted out from a 10 gallon in June of 2010. 8" at the base, 12ft. to tip. Compare it to when it was planted. The one closest to the fence is less than 1/2 this size.

56f92176d1059_Beccariophoenixalfredii3-256f92178d36f9_Beccariophoenixalfredii3-2

56f9220372a70_B.alfrediiPT.thumb.jpg.646

• Upvote 6

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

3 hours ago, cassowaryhill said:

Today I went to the Melbourne  botanical gardens to find the sole Becarriophoenix alfredii... :) was quiet happy I found it! 

image.jpeg

Thanks Shane for sharing...how long it has been there? do you have a closer pic?

Cheers

Here is a close up. Sorry should have posted the close up as well

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, cassowaryhill said:

Here is a close up. Sorry should have posted the close up as well

image.jpeg

To be honest, it does not look to me happy enough! I think I see to many scorched leaflets...

These don't burn easily at all. Maybe not watering enough/watering too shallow or watering too much is its problem? Unless it was grown in deep shade, I don't see why it burned that much

the newest leaf does seem happy and adapted though, and that's what matters

• Upvote 1

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

I think it's all got to do with watering. That's brown on the edges not the whole leaf. No nearby water sprinklers either 

They are pretty reluctant to burn. They prefer to dehisce older leafs sooner if not getting enough water rather than burn on the edges. Probably a combination of sudden lack of water at first and coming out the shadehouse 

I think low humidity as well. This guy would have come from QLD I recon 

I have planted one from a shady, humid/wet greenhouse in Germany in a sunny location in Greece and it just spotted(subsequent leafs downsized and took awhile for it to root enough to take off but existing leafs didn't burn)...Water availability was good though

This is one species that seems to be growing awesome for me down here at 35S in WA. I'm not quite as far south as Melbourne Victoria. I have grown these since 2007 when I first could get seeds and they are basically a tropical looking palm that doesn't really need or want the tropics, or equatorial tropics anyway. Unlike the other Beccariophoenix, B alfredii does not like wet humid conditions at all. They want a drier cooler climate and this is all due to their mountain origins.

Honestly these can be considered a true cool climate coconut look alike. Whatever makes a coconut look good, makes these look good. That means full sun from an early age, good drainage and good watering through hot weather, along with a good amount of fertiliser. I let mine get a bit pot bound and shade grown, as I had no room to plant them out in my Perth garden and so I brought the lot down to my Albany property. They burnt a bit when thrown straight out into full sun from shade, but they quickly put out new fronds that didn't care about receiving 40 plus C in full sun. I'm going to plant some of my smaller ones out soon (just before winter) that have only started to go pinnate, as I reckon they will get into the ground and bulk up quicker than the ones left in the pots for a bit too long. I'm so glad that I can have a coconut look alike that will look pristine down here at the most southerly part of WA. They will really fool people when they get big.

• Upvote 4

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

6 hours ago, Tyrone said:

This is one species that seems to be growing awesome for me down here at 35S in WA. I'm not quite as far south as Melbourne Victoria. I have grown these since 2007 when I first could get seeds and they are basically a tropical looking palm that doesn't really need or want the tropics, or equatorial tropics anyway. Unlike the other Beccariophoenix, B alfredii does not like wet humid conditions at all. They want a drier cooler climate and this is all due to their mountain origins.

Honestly these can be considered a true cool climate coconut look alike. Whatever makes a coconut look good, makes these look good. That means full sun from an early age, good drainage and good watering through hot weather, along with a good amount of fertiliser. I let mine get a bit pot bound and shade grown, as I had no room to plant them out in my Perth garden and so I brought the lot down to my Albany property. They burnt a bit when thrown straight out into full sun from shade, but they quickly put out new fronds that didn't care about receiving 40 plus C in full sun. I'm going to plant some of my smaller ones out soon (just before winter) that have only started to go pinnate, as I reckon they will get into the ground and bulk up quicker than the ones left in the pots for a bit too long. I'm so glad that I can have a coconut look alike that will look pristine down here at the most southerly part of WA. They will really fool people when they get big.

Yeah but you have so much amazing stuff... Lucky man! Iv see what you got Tyrone ! lol can I come steal some of your stuff? 

That's probably from my Perth garden. I've had to start from scratch down here in a much harder climate to grow tropicals, although it is more humid than Perth. I've been madly collecting palms for 16 years, so you tend to get hold of some good stuff in that time, but the list of what I've killed will make you cry.

• Upvote 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

thanks for the nice thread :)

anyone has any experiences how easy they are with transplanting? I might need to dig mine and plant it somewhere else soon...

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Mohsen said:

thanks for the nice thread :)

anyone has any experiences how easy they are with transplanting? I might need to dig mine and plant it somewhere else soon...

Good question... Anybody else know

?

In my experience with transplanting, they tend to survive but are definitely set back.

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I agree with Ben. Cardiff Bill transplanted a palm about 6' a bit over two years ago since it was too close to a sewer line. It looked like it wasn't going to make it, but about 3 months later began growing well again. 

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Hey Shane, I haven't had problems transplanting any of mine and I've done it several times, I just use a good root activator with kelp, for several weeks after.

Also, I'm not north of Monterey but mine have seen wind-chills down to 29˚.  We also got an inch of snow back in December of 2013 (that was a shocker!)  They pulled through just fine.

Here are my largest ones... I measured them today and two of them are 10' tall from soil to top leaf and the bases are about a foot wide now, soon to trunk so I'm excited...

FullSizeRender(8).jpg

IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

On 3/27/2016, 6:01:33, Hammer said:

Totally agree.  Except Phoenix or Palm Springs, full sun.

Hrmmm,, Test this theory here, i must.

1 hour ago, SoTropiCal Ben said:

Hey Shane, I haven't had problems transplanting any of mine and I've done it several times, I just use a good root activator with kelp, for several weeks after.

Also, I'm not north of Monterey but mine have seen wind-chills down to 29˚.  We also got an inch of snow back in December of 2013 (that was a shocker!)  They pulled through just fine.

Here are my largest ones... I measured them today and two of them are 10' tall from soil to top leaf and the bases are about a foot wide now, soon to trunk so I'm excited...

FullSizeRender(8).jpg

IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

Yours are simply fantastic!!! Thank you for this... Given me a massive smile and very coconutty looking.... Iv lived in somewhere in comparison to Hawaii so I know a coconut when I see one 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SoTropiCal Ben said:

FullSizeRender(8).jpg

IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

If that's seen an inch of snow, WOW. A coconut look alike that takes snow, that's awesome.

• Upvote 1

Shane, Tyrone, I actually took a pic before all the snow melted and I did wash most of the snow that morning but there was light snow on most of the leaves...

IMG_0330.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Correction, it was actually Dec. of '14 not '13 when it snowed...  Here's a pic of the base for scale...  It could be more like 10", I was trying to get the edge of the last dead petiole...

IMG_2224.JPG

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, SoTropiCal Ben said:

Shane, Tyrone, I actually took a pic before all the snow melted and I did wash most of the snow that morning but there was light snow on most of the leaves...

IMG_0330.jpeg

WOW!! Look at that!! Come on Temperate and Subtropical world... Stop with the planting of Phoenix canariensis and start these guys for a truly tropical looking coconut substitute !!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1