IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Biggest Beccariophoenix alfredii north of Monterey

cassowaryhill

Hi Guys, I live in Melbourne. So very much similar to San Fran. As there are heaps of B. alfredii in Oz, but not many in Victoria yet. I know you guys in CA would have started growing these way before anyone here in Victoria, Australia.

So wondering whats the biggest north of Monterey or lets say Santa Maria???

• Upvote 1

I'm kind of curious what the largest is period. I've yet to ever see one trunking in person.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

All Very nice. Its hard to decide how to grow them here. Seeing we have the same weather as SanFran... Maybe more sunlight hours.. But move it full sun in winter? and then shade for Summer?

Just now, cassowaryhill said:

All Very nice. Its hard to decide how to grow them here. Seeing we have the same weather as SanFran... Maybe more sunlight hours.. But move it full sun in winter? and then shade for Summer?

These are full sun palms, all the time.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Jeff Searle's ...

I think Pete Balasky's might be older. They're pretty close though, and both very impressive. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

My guess is Len's is the biggest on the west coast.

its HUGE!!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

2 hours ago, Zeeth said:

I think Pete Balasky's might be older. They're pretty close though, and both very impressive. 

I meant, this photo is Jeff's.  Have no clue if his is the biggest in captivity.   Jeff's Alfie is easily the largest I have ever seen in person.  I haven't seen Pete's so I can't really comment.  But I am sure his are awesome based on the pics you have posted in the past.

2 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

These are full sun palms, all the time.

Spot on comment.   I would add that they appreciate water.  Maybe in a cooler climate like coastal NorCal they need less but here in SoCal they LOVE water.

Im in coastal Victoria and planted a small one (about 2ft high from a 250mm pot) last spring it is in full sun pretty much all day and look's fine, no frond burn even on the hottest summer days.

• Upvote 4

Thanks Michael. I've only just potted up my three seedlings into 120mm pots. I'll probably grow them for another year in my shade house before beginning their transition to full sun.

• Upvote 1

A lot of the fenestralis are big with trunk, and are seeding. Alfredii came out later and so those are a bit smaller than the big fenestralis in cultivation. I just saw an alfredii with some trunk at the Kopsick Palmetum in Saint Petersburg, Florida. Mine is about 10 or 12 feet.

42 minutes ago, Mandrew968 said:

I just saw an alfredii with some trunk at the Kopsick Palmetum in Saint Petersburg, Florida.

The two Beccariophoenix at Kopsick are B. madagascariensis :) 

Keith 

Thanks Guys!! But this thread is for NorCal (and Victoria) so FL doesn't count. 

Whos got pics of Lens ? Petes?

cheers mate... That does answer my question for the sun down here.. It's more altitude sun which I find burns a lot ... But if you say it hasn't... That's great! 

21 minutes ago, cassowaryhill said:

Whos got pics of Lens ? Petes?

Here's Pete's. The picture is a year old though, so it's probably bigger now.

IMG_3871.thumb.jpg.921700d71a8ed288be11d

Here's Len's. Len took this picture, so I hope he doesn't mind if I share it here. This picture is also a year old.

post-649-0-97059100-1424713967.thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Keith 

3 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

A lot of the fenestralis are big with trunk, and are seeding. Alfredii came out later and so those are a bit smaller than the big fenestralis in cultivation. I just saw an alfredii with some trunk at the Kopsick Palmetum in Saint Petersburg, Florida. Mine is about 10 or 12 feet.

They are pretty big, but I still didn't see a trunk. I'll be there tomorrow for the meeting and I'll take another look then.

2 hours ago, Zeeth said:

The two Beccariophoenix at Kopsick are B. madagascariensis :) 

I didn't realize that either, they sure look similar.

1 hour ago, Zeeth said:

Here's Len's. Len took this picture, so I hope he doesn't mind if I share it here. This picture is also a year old.

I'm still not really seeing a trunk there... I'm getting suspicious. lol

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

50 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

They are pretty big, but I still didn't see a trunk. I'll be there tomorrow for the meeting and I'll take another look then.

I didn't realize that either, they sure look similar.

I'm still not really seeing a trunk there... I'm getting suspicious. lol

I don't think either B. alfredii or B. madagascariensis have begun to trunk outside of habitat yet (unless Pete Balasky's has begun trunking in the year since I last saw it).

The B. mad at Kopsick may be close to trunking.

IMG_4460.thumb.jpg.f32156a89deae9ce6c7a5

Here's a trunking one in habitat for comparison. 

10990665_10152852212246461_8008518213413

• Upvote 5

Keith 

These seem to be pretty slow growing palms then, if there are none trunking outside of habitat?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

15 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

These seem to be pretty slow growing palms then, if there are none trunking outside of habitat?

B. madagascariensis is slow.

B. alfredii was only discovered in 2004, and wasn't really widely available until 2007. 

Keith 

9 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

B. alfredii was only discovered in 2004, and wasn't really widely available until 2007. 

That's still 10 years and no trunking specimens...I consider that pretty slow.

Ben Rogers

15 hours ago, cassowaryhill said:

Hi Guys, I live in Melbourne. So very much similar to San Fran. As there are heaps of B. alfredii in Oz, but not many in Victoria yet. I know you guys in CA would have started growing these way before anyone here in Victoria, Australia.

So wondering whats the biggest north of Monterey or lets say Santa Maria???

Shane...

They are not common in Sydney either...I have not seen one yet but in Botanical Garden...

I planted a small one from the first day in full sun...no sign of sunburn and open a new frond... I am 20-25 km away from the nearest beach ...

56690d75ea3fe_2015-12-0918.23.21.thumb.jpg.9da898dc175e69359ad94d6f48f89003.jpg

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I guess it depends on your personal experiences. It's not a coconut or royal in the speed category, but it's faster than a lot of other palms that I've grown. It seems about the same speed as B. fenestralis in my experience. I'd consider it a medium-speed grower. 

Keith 

John Case, of Brentwood, CA, may have one larger than Ben in Norcal.  Perhaps I will telephone him about this thread !  :) 

• Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

25 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

John Case, of Brentwood, CA, may have one larger than Ben in Norcal.  Perhaps I will telephone him about this thread !  :) 

John's is very similar size, you are right, maybe just a touch larger.  I am hoping to catch him up since mine will be easier to keep well-irrigated - his is on his slope of death! :D

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

I cant wait untill mine get big :)

56f567053e297_Balfredii2.jpeg.ba25b3304b56f567071d6de_B.alfredii1.jpeg.835c42954

• Upvote 3

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

3 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Yeah I agree with that. Here is a pic of mine I snapped today. Bought it a few years ago on eBay as a bare root 1 gallon. Although it's growing, it will be quite a while until it is anywhere close to trunking.

IMG_0318.jpg

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Pip said:

From what age should B. alfredii be planted out in full sun in climates similar to coastal California?

I had 2 in liners that I potted up to 1 gallons.  They were in full sun all summer next to a swimming pool.  They grew like weeds and didn't burn at all.  Just give them plenty of water.  My experience is they grow faster in the full sun than in shade even at a very very young age. I am 6 miles from the coast in Southern California. 

I would get yours into the sun as soon as possible. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Shane...

They are not common in Sydney either...I have not seen one yet but in Botanical Garden...

I planted a small one from the first day in full sun...no sign of sunburn and open a new frond... I am 20-25 km away from the nearest beach ...

56690d75ea3fe_2015-12-0918.23.21.thumb.jpg.9da898dc175e69359ad94d6f48f89003.jpg

Cheers mate! There's one here in the botanical gardens here in Melbourne... I'm unsure as to age and height .. Will check it out. 

Sun burn is always what I worry about. But like everyone has said, water and sun!!! 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Zeeth said:

Lens looks AMAZEBALLS!!! Those arching fronds!!! OMG 

I had coconuts for years so I know what I see and it's pretty darn close

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2016‎ ‎8‎:‎47‎:‎26‎, Ben in Norcal said:

John's is very similar size, you are right, maybe just a touch larger.  I am hoping to catch him up since mine will be easier to keep well-irrigated - his is on his slope of death! :D

Before I discuss this, you all  to know that 1) Ben is a good friend of mine 2) I have grown 2 of them since 2008 after getting them from Floribunda in 4 inch pots while Ben imported his from SoCal in a 5 gallon (or was it 15?) a couple of years ago 3) this is not a competition, 4) my 'slope of death' may be an advantage, 5) we get much warmer than Ben does on his side of the hill, even though we are only about 10 miles apart as the crow flies,6) I am further north than Ben and 7) this is not a competition.......

with all of that said, I claim that mine are larger and in case of a tie, I win because these were grown in NorCal for the majority of their lives and my stubbornness!:lol:

Photos to follow once I can climb the perilous path to nowhere (my granddaughters name for the route to the palms!

• Upvote 2

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

1 hour ago, John Case said:

Before I discuss this, you all  to know that 1) Ben is a good friend of mine 2) I have grown 2 of them since 2008 after getting them from Floribunda in 4 inch pots while Ben imported his from SoCal in a 5 gallon (or was it 15?) a couple of years ago 3) this is not a competition, 4) my 'slope of death' may be an advantage, 5) we get much warmer than Ben does on his side of the hill, even though we are only about 10 miles apart as the crow flies,6) I am further north than Ben and 7) this is not a competition.......

with all of that said, I claim that mine are larger and in case of a tie, I win because these were grown in NorCal for the majority of their lives and my stubbornness!:lol:

Photos to follow once I can climb the perilous path to nowhere (my granddaughters name for the route to the palms!

Hahahaha!! This is great! Love the comp! 

1 hour ago, John Case said:

John, of course it is a competition!!! :D

Ben Rogers

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

John, of course it is a competition!!! :D

Ok, tough guy......here they are! :) 

The one immediately above the Koi pond is 8 inches diameter at the base and exactly 8 feet tall.

The one on the slope of death is 9 inches across and 84 inches to the tip.

These measurements were obtained at risk of injury and possible death while carrying extremely delicate electronic and mechanical measuring devices....so you know that it can be done, even by a guy with no prostate!

Happy Easter, amigo!

WIN_20160326_155758.JPG

WIN_20160326_155723.JPG

WIN_20160326_155700.JPG

WIN_20160326_155438.JPG

WIN_20160326_155108.JPG

• Upvote 5

John Case

Brentwood CA

6 minutes ago, John Case said:

Ok, tough guy......here they are! :) 

The one immediately above the Koi pond is 8 inches diameter at the base and exactly 8 feet tall.

The one on the slope of death is 9 inches across and 84 inches to the tip.

These measurements were obtained at risk of injury and possible death while carrying extremely delicate electronic and mechanical measuring devices....so you know that it can be done, even by a guy with no prostate!

Happy Easter, amigo!

WIN_20160326_155758.JPG

WIN_20160326_155723.JPG

WIN_20160326_155700.JPG

WIN_20160326_155438.JPG

WIN_20160326_155108.JPG

Lookin' good, my prostrate-free friend!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

and for the record, my understanding of geography finds that none of the FL examples are north of Monterey CA; Monterey MX, maybe.....:)

• Upvote 1

John Case

Brentwood CA

2 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Lookin' good, my prostrate-free friend!

Thankee! Do you still want one of the overwintered R. rivularis?

John Case

Brentwood CA

2 minutes ago, John Case said:

Thankee! Do you still want one of the overwintered R. rivularis?

Sure...I picked one up at a big box to put in a 15g pot, which it will sit in a few years.  Have you had yours in any sun/outside?

Ben Rogers