IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society - Spring '16 Sale - Mounts B.G.

Palmarum

Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society

Society website - Link: Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society

Spring Sale - Mounts Botanical Garden

March 19th & 20th, 2016

The palm sales of the Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society have been a fixture in S. Florida for many, many years. Some of my first palms were bought at a Palm Beach Sale, and the same is true for many other palm aficionados. The sale has changed location a few times but their location at Mounts seems to work well for everyone. I was with Jeff Searle as a vendor at the sale, one of thirteen, to fill the sales area with a diverse selection of palms and cycads. I took a small amount of photos, both in and out of, the sales area. Conversations varied a great deal, with a lot of talk centering on Cuba. The palms of Cuba, traveling to the island, the future of the island's palm species, etc. There was buzz about the next Biennial being in Cuba, but nothing confirmed that I know about. On to the sale.

Saturday, March 19th, morning...

- 8:45AM - The first morning of a palm sale. There is never a feeling quite like it. I had just finished setting up the signs in the booth when the camera came out. I did my routine photo record of the booth layout then went to see what was going on. Front corner of the booth...

DSC_0704.jpg

- ... opposite side. The other vendors were doing similar setup routines.

DSC_0706.jpg

- The Society tent, checkout and entrance area. The society volunteers were ready to go, with a few minutes left until the sale opened, officially.

DSC_0711.jpg

- Early customers had wandered in as we were setting up.

DSC_0712.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- A look around the sales area. Looking into vendor MB Palms' booth from a distance.

DSC_0713.jpg

- Vendors Mike Harris and Betty Ahlborn's booths, left and right respectively. The forecast for the weekend was not the best, so just about every vendor had a tent.

DSC_0714.jpg

- Dale Holton's booth is often a one-stop shop when it comes to cycads. He had many species on display, spanning most of the cycad genera.

DSC_0715.jpg

- Palm and society t-shirts have always been available at the sales. Having available, media and materials of all sorts, has been a signature detail of the society for years.

DSC_0716.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- There were different shirts to choose from, short-sleeve and long-sleeve versions. They mentioned they were going to get a newly designed batch in the near future.

DSC_0717.jpg

- A newly emergent red leaf on a Calyptrocalyx hollrungii, on display in Dale Holton's booth.

DSC_0718.jpg

- 9:06AM - The sale was now officially open. Customers entered the sales area throughout the morning. Some went straight to specific vendors, others picked a side to start on and went palm shopping.

DSC_0720.jpg

- Seen with his back to camera, vendor Drew Rathburn gets his booth ready as some of the first customers entered his booth first.

DSC_0721.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- A large, coning specimen of Ceratozamia latifolia awaited customers in Betty Ahlborn's booth.

DSC_0723.jpg

- The plant was a male, and the cone looked as if it could open at any time.

DSC_0722.jpg

- A brief flurry of activity out in front of D'Asign Source's booth.

DSC_0724.jpg

- Vendor Steve Stern brought one of his botanical treasures to the sale. His large specimen of Salacca dransfieldiana, complete with stoloniferous suckers, was out on display. It has become impossible to get seed of this species, as only male plants are known to exist in cultivation.

DSC_0726.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Suckers of all sizes were being containerized and rooted, in place.

DSC_0727.jpg

- As soon as a sucker became rooted in the pot, it was simply separated from the stolon extension. A veritable plant factory.

DSC_0728.jpg

- A newly emergent leaf on a Calyptrocalyx sp. 'Boalak' sitting in Jeff Searle's booth. What is better than one new red leaf?

DSC_0730.jpg

- Two red leaves at the same time.

DSC_0731.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

- The first half of the day was busy, leading up to lunch time. I noticed quickly that there were no customers with carts. Walking towards camera, center frame, was Forum member Mike Harris (waykoolplantz). He seemed to be joking about something, making people around him laugh. 

DSC_0732.jpg

- A customer carries a 7 gal. Chambeyronia macrocarpa var. hookeri to the holding area.

DSC_0733.jpg

- Some customers came in groups and moved around the holding area. I found out later usually there is at least one person in the group with a truck.

DSC_0734.jpg

- Vendor Steve Stern mans the front part of his booth, as the customers on the right notice his Salacca dransfieldiana.

DSC_0735.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- Jeff Searle spends time with the Purple Heart recipients. On the left, collector Steve Resh talks with Jeff, probably describing his leg ornament, as FM. Rick Hawkins (rick) gives a solemn expression while holding out his battered finger. Beware of ladders and wood chippers when and wherever possible. 

DSC_0736.jpg

- This was the type of palm sale where you bring one of everything, species and size wise.

DSC_0737.jpg

- The amount of social networking that takes place at a palm or plant sale is amazing. You never know where the conversations will take you.

DSC_0738.jpg

- The far end of the sales area.

DSC_0739.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- Up front, it was busy under the society tent.

DSC_0740.jpg

- Society volunteers were busy keeping everything going smoothly and making the checkout speedy and organized. Customers were going through the books, looking for ones they need or want.

DSC_0741.jpg

- A group of plants get their tags cut for checkout. The variegated Lady Palm, Rhapis excelsa, had a nice pattern. I didn't notice if it was a named cultivar or not.

DSC_0742.jpg

- It was a good thing the neighboring DMV is closed on weekends as if gives the garden some nearby and easily accessible parking.

DSC_0743.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- Turning around from the shot above, showing the side garden, or sales area entrance from the front. The garden had their booth there on the left for information and donations. It was busy enough to warrant two customer vehicles side-by-side.

DSC_0744.jpg

- The red minivan gets packed with all sorts of palms and cycads.

DSC_0746.jpg

DSC_0747.jpg

- Two volunteers join forces to get tags cut.

DSC_0748.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- Customers came from far and wide to get their most wanted. On the left, FM. Pastor Randy (Palmaceae) made the trip from Cape Coral to get his new favorite plants, including a 3 gal. Tahina spectabilis.

DSC_0749.jpg

- An Encephalartos was next. I didn't noticed the species, but it was well grown.

DSC_0750.jpg

- Carefully, plants get loaded, often one well-placed leaf at a time. With teamwork, a coconut palm gets loaded, fronds first. The leaf tips were probably touching the dashboard.

DSC_0751.jpg

- I turned to the right just in time to see a Chambeyronia macrocarpa var. 'Houaïlou' coming towards me on its way to the parking lot.

DSC_0752.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- "Hmm, are two going to be enough?"

DSC_0753.jpg

- Time for more careful loading, this time with Steve's stash of plants.

DSC_0755.jpg

- The taller stuff has priority. What appears to be a Balaka seemannii gets measured and looked over, as a plan is reached on how to load it.

DSC_0756.jpg

- With care and precision, the palm gets picked up and angled over, then slowly placed in the back. Steve hobbles up to the front to guide the crown past the seats.

DSC_0757.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

4 hours ago, dmc said:

Was a great sale with lots of nice palms offered. I finally got my Tahina. Thanks Dale! 

Dominic

20160319_125808-1.jpg

Yes I got mine too! Very happy :D

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

34 minutes ago, Palmarum said:

- Customers came from far and wide to get their most wanted. On the left, FM. Pastor Randy (Palmaceae) made the trip from Cape Coral to get his new favorite plants, including a 3 gal. Tahina spectabilis.

DSC_0749.jpg

- An Encephalartos was next. I didn't noticed the species, but it was well grown.

DSC_0750.jpg

- Carefully, plants get loaded, often one well-placed leaf at a time. With teamwork, a coconut palm gets loaded, fronds first. The leaf tips were probably touching the dashboard.

DSC_0751.jpg

- I turned to the right just in time to see a Chambeyronia macrocarpa var. 'Houaïlou' coming towards me on its way to the parking lot.

DSC_0752.jpg

Ryan

Thanks Ryan,

Yes it was a good day and got my dream palm, the Tahina (thank you Dale and thank you Ryan for leading me to it). That was a Jamaican tall coconut and yes it wrapped around the windshield:huh:. The cycad is a Encephalartos hildebrandtii. It was nice talking to everyone and great pictures Ryan.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

- The 7 gal. Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus was next and one of the last to be loaded.

DSC_0758.jpg

- A similar operation was going on behind me with another palm and car. The palm is the recently named natural hybrid Coccothrinax × angelea, which is what, for years, we were calling Coccothrinax crinita subsp. brevicrinis. The hybrid is a naturalized cross between the actual C. crinita subsp. brevicrinis and C. miraguama. This would explain the faster than usual growth rate and the uniquely-colored leaf undersides.

DSC_0759.jpg

- Several loading operations were going on at the same time. I had to avoid being squished against the fence at one point. A Rhapis multifida gets lifted up onto a tailgate.

DSC_0760.jpg

- Rick had to explain the incident more than a few times, as his bandaged finger stood out from the crowd.

DSC_0761.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- There is always room for one more palm. Veteran collector, avid palm nut and FM. Ray Gompf (Ray_G) adds a coconut to his ever growing stash inside the holding area. Ray has been collecting for at least 25 years, probably longer, so I can't imagine how much room he has left to work with.

DSC_0762.jpg

- Books. The spread of books put out by the society always makes attendees take a closer look.

DSC_0763.jpg

- There was a display case on one table showing several examples of petrified palm wood.

DSC_0764.jpg

- I continued to browse the booths while taking photos.

DSC_0765.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Seed production facility in a pot.

DSC_0766.jpg

- A Zamia in Betty Ahlborn's booth came with future progeny.

DSC_0767.jpg

- Drew explains the differences in the species of Gaussia.

DSC_0769.jpg

- Trays of ready to plant Lady Palms, Rhapis excelsa. These trays or similar compots draw in the backyard grower.

DSC_0770.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

After the accident I wasn't planning on coming but I'm so glad I changed my mind at the last minute. It was a really great sale. Got a small Gaussia gomez-pompae and an Arenga hookeriana. Plus they were giving away Arenga caudata seedlings at checkout.

20160323_202545.thumb.jpg.b4e4c6c063a453

I've had to tell so many people about my hand its become something of a game watching as people's face turn from polite curiosity to complete shock/horror the second I say "woodchipper". 

- One stash gets moved from the holding area, forming the group towards the left, as another group gets processed on the right.

DSC_0771.jpg

- A batch of Lady Palms, Rhapis excelsa, of different sizes ride along on a cart, along with a full size bag of Nutricote.

DSC_0772.jpg

- The group moving from holding area to tent were almost all 7 gal. plants, including this Bentinckia condapanna.

DSC_0773.jpg

- Vendors carry a trio of Archontophoenix cunninghamiana from booth to checkout.

DSC_0774.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- A large, 7 gal. Kerriodoxa elegans, gets sprinted to the holding area.

DSC_0775.jpg

- The front area of the sale saw another flurry of activity near 11:00 in the morning.

DSC_0776.jpg

- Customers were coming in, others buying and heading out, with many chatting with each other.

DSC_0777.jpg

- A nice, ready-to-go collection of palms gets carted over to the tent. A tall Chamaedorea oblongata anchored the group in the back, as a 3 gal. Johannesteijsmannia altifrons held the front, left corner as a 3 gal. Kerriodoxa elegans, held the opposite corner.

DSC_0778.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Volunteers dive in to separate the plants and clip tags. There were more plants on the cart, including that tall 3 gal. Zamia skinneri, or imperialis, or neurophyllidia, and a nicely grown Zamia inermis.

DSC_0779.jpg

- A spot next to the tent became a spontaneous holding area. A pair of Betel Nut Palms, Areca catechu, join a 7 gal. Areca vestiaria, as more plants were carried over.

DSC_0780.jpg

- Soon after, a Coccothrinax crinita joined the group, along with a Pritchardia sp. and a Yellow Latan Palm, Latania verschaffeltii.

DSC_0781.jpg

- Those bright yellow petioles stood out from across the sales area.

DSC_0782.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- It was busy in and around the society tent. It was an assembly-line of customers buying plants. That tray at the far end of the tables, held the free Arenga caudata, 'give-away' plants.

DSC_0783.jpg

- The plants from the earlier order get loaded, along with a few bags of fertilizer. For the first time in a while, the Society had sold out of fertilizer they had available, including the full bags of Nutricote.

DSC_0784.jpg

- Most go in the back, while the smaller ones get their own seat, and perhaps seat-belt.

DSC_0785.jpg

- A gallon Allagoptera caudescens gets carried out along with a 3 gal. Iriartea deltoidea. On the far right, Society Vice President Don Bittel carries a nice Metroxylon of some species, probably M. salomonense or M. vitiense.

DSC_0786.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The last photo I have from Saturday shows the loading area out in front of the entrance at 11:00 in the morning. It was still busy up to lunch time, but slowed down during and afterwards as customers and other attendees had to leave to find food.

DSC_0787.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Sunday, March 20th...

- 9:05AM - First thing on the to-do list, was to check the booths for anything I missed the first day. While browsing inside Mike Harris's booth I noticed the great coloration on this Caryota zebrina.

DSC_0790.jpg

- Sunday morning was slow, but without rainfall. Many of us, myself included, expected it to be a total washout. Everyone brought rain gear and were ready to use it.

DSC_0791.jpg

- I used the spare time to explore the garden. I started off from the front and followed the pathways. I took a fair amount of photos but figured they didn't need to be added to the sale topic this time. The first thing that caught my eye was the graffiti carved onto the culms of this Dendrocalamus velutinus.

DSC_0792.jpg

- A modern victim in the age-old custom of carving your initials into a tree, or bamboo, in this instance.

DSC_0793.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:08PM - After my tour of the garden, I made it back to the sales area to see what was going on. It was still slow, but it was also not raining, minus a drizzle here and there. Vendors were talking among themselves and with Society members.

DSC_0835.jpg

- We could see dark bands of storm clouds in the distance, mostly to the north of where we were. Jeff Searle looks over the weather radar on his phone with Society President & Sales Chairman Tom Ramiccio.

DSC_0837.jpg

- A few Sunday afternoon sales took place, including this 3 gal. Licuala peltata var. sumawongii.

DSC_0839.jpg

- 1:12PM - It was getting close to pack up time. The sale was over around 2:30 and we began to do the mental logistics of who gets in with their truck and when.

DSC_0840.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

22 minutes ago, Palmarum said:

- A modern victim in the age-old custom of carving your initials into a tree, or bamboo, in this instance.

DSC_0793.jpg

Ryan

I see Matt Bradford made the trip from California just to leave his mark in this bamboo clump :D

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

- We had a lot of time to discuss various trips and possible travel destinations. This occupied a lot of conversations, including the opening up of travel to Cuba and the future of the island. Vendor and FM. Mike Harris (Caribbean Palms) shares a laugh with everyone and fellow FM. Robin Crawford (PalmXTC). Robin was thinking hard about something, or my flash made him blink.

DSC_0841.jpg

- The Society up in Palm Beach continue to put on great sales and events. I forgot to ask when their next tour or event was going to be, but I am sure they will add it to their website. According to said website, their next meeting is on Wednesday, April 6th at the garden building. I was thinking of all this as another plane flew over head, causing a general pause in conversations. A minor inconvenience for a great venue. 

DSC_0842.jpg

Ryan

---<

South Florida

20 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

I see Matt Bradford made the trip from California just to leave his mark in this bamboo clump :D

I am sure the inscription was well thought out. If it was him... Could have been just Paul getting Matty in trouble. :hmm:

Ryan

South Florida

Thanks for all the photos.  It's good to see such a big, busy, interesting sale.  I wasn't able to drive down this year, due to shoulder surgery.  My last visit to the Palm Beach show yielded a bunch of Chamaedoreas, which thrived with almost no attention, almost like the cast iron plants (Aspidistra) nearby.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Thanks as always Ryan. A great photo documentary that makes me yearn to be there.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 6 months later...
On 2016-03-23, 5:24:32, Palmarum said:

- There is always room for one more palm. Veteran collector, avid palm nut and FM. Ray Gompf (Ray_G) adds a coconut to his ever growing stash inside the holding area. Ray has been collecting for at least 25 years, probably longer, so I can't imagine how much room he has left to work with.

DSC_0762.jpg

- Books. The spread of books put out by the society always makes attendees take a closer look.

DSC_0763.jpg

- There was a display case on one table showing several examples of petrified palm wood.

DSC_0764.jpg

- I continued to browse the booths while taking photos.

DSC_0765.jpg

Ryan

In the last photo. Is that a stilt palm on the far right closest to the picture edge? 

20 hours ago, Stethoscope said:

In the last photo. Is that a stilt palm on the far right closest to the picture edge? 

Yes it is, a Seychelles Stilt Palm, Verschaffeltia splendida.

Ryan

On a similar note, does anyone know if the Fall Palm Beach Sale was postponed or cancelled due to the hurricane?

South Florida