IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

'Organic' coconut sugar ?

aussiearoids

Just waiting for a big bun fight from all the hipster/hippies about my claim organic coconut sugar is a big CON.

What pests would trouble coconuts in Philippines and Thailand where most of the products are made ?

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

9 hours ago, aussiearoids said:

Just waiting for a big bun fight from all the hipster/hippies about my claim organic coconut sugar is a big CON.

What pests would trouble coconuts in Philippines and Thailand where most of the products are made ?

You do seem to be poking a hornets nest, as organic certification is more of a failsafe and an audit trail, and includes much more than pesticide use (which you are citing as your only need for organic certification, which isnt accurate on several levels- you can still use pesticide on an organic farm), but here's your hipster hippie rebuttal.

Audit trails, seed management, farmland sustainability and much more goes into it... fighting against NOP certification in America is basically admitting youd rather eat the cardboard box your plastic mac & cheese came in than an apple.

Have companies used it as a marketing buzzword? Of course. Is it sensible to protest a system of certification simply because current sourcing of a single product isnt suspect? You will do more harm than good.

• Upvote 1

On 3/10/2016, 9:32:32, aussiearoids said:

Maybe that is like organic tabacco?!

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎32‎:‎32‎, aussiearoids said:

Organic Coconut Sugar, if it is Certified Organic, then that means that in the production of the coconuts, no synthetic fertilizers, herbicides, or pesticides are used, ONLY organic fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides are used.  Yes, there are effective all natural herbicides (like horticultural vinegar) and effective all natural pesticides.

Organic produce and its by products are FAR SUPERIOR nutritionally and health wise, as in being free of harmful substances in the production and processing of the fruits and vegetables than their conventional agricultural counterparts.  Take Roundup and glycosphates for instance, a popular herbicide here in the U.S.  It is VERY harmful to us and the environment, despite what the manufacturer says and despite what the FDA and USDA say (who are just bought off agents of industry working in the "regulatory agencies")!

Edited by Mr. Coconut Palm
  • Upvote 1

I would like to see tests done on several types of standard palm sugar to see if any harmfull substances are found .

I doubt if they would be .. therefore it would be a waste paying the premium price for 'certified'

Disagree  " Organic produce and its by products are FAR SUPERIOR nutritionally and health wise, "

this has been proven to be a false statment. http://www.livescience.com/10558-organic-local-food.html

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

2 hours ago, aussiearoids said:

I would like to see tests done on several types of standard palm sugar to see if any harmfull substances are found .

I doubt if they would be .. therefore it would be a waste paying the premium price for 'certified'

Disagree  " Organic produce and its by products are FAR SUPERIOR nutritionally and health wise, "

this has been proven to be a false statment. http://www.livescience.com/10558-organic-local-food.html

I have a college degree in agriculture from the "premier" agriculture university in the U.S.,   I can honestly tell you studies like this are pure B.S. as they are almost always funded by Big Agribusiness either directly or indirectly.  The university I attended literally brainwashed us that cloning, GMO's, and Agrichem are great and will save mankind.  What TOTAL B.S.!  Having seen and felt the difference first hand as in growing and also consuming Organic Produce, I can honestly tell you there is a night and day difference, and the Organics ARE FAR SUPERIOR to conventional agricultural/horticultural techniques.  It is like comparing natural rain water and tap water for use in watering your plants.  Anyone who has been growing plants for any length of time at all KNOWS THAT NATURAL RAINWATER IS FAR SUPERIOR FOR YOUR PLANTS GROWTH AND HEALTH THAN TAP WATER!  SO TOO WITH ORGANICS!

Edited by Mr. Coconut Palm

I guess my question would be "is Certified Organic" a US label.   I think it is, but I am not sure.   So what governance would they have over a product produced in another country.   I mean who would go over there to check.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Organic = grown with "organic" (whatever that means) methods

Organic ≠ superior or more healthy (but generally always more expensive)

Organic can have no or lower pesticide residue, but this depends on the product. Things like non-organic strawberries tend to have more residue while the edible parts of avocados organic or not organic tend to have no residue. Whether organic is better for the environment or not is another debate...

I would agree that organic coconut sugar probably is not much different from non-organic coconut sugar. I don't think coconuts are a pesticide heavy crop and I doubt much makes its way into the sap/sugar. 

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

On 14/3/2016 16:47:20, _Keith said:

I guess my question would be "is Certified Organic" a US label.   I think it is, but I am not sure.   So what governance would they have over a product produced in another country.   I mean who would go over there to check.

Yes they do go over and check! My place is certified organic by NZ local agency BioGro, who in turn is audited and certified by a series of international agencies. So my place is certifed to IFOAM standards as well as to the USDA National Organic Program. In my case I don't export anything directly but do have dealings with organic dairy farms so need to be certified to all export markets. USDA NOP inspectors come to NZ frequently, and as a producer certified to the NOP market a USDA NOP auditer could come to my farm and audit my production system whenever they wanted to. Generally they are happy that the NZ certifiers apply the rules accurately, but these international audits do happen. USDA NOP inspectors are no real issue for us, the inspectors from Taiwan in particular are more difficult to handle as they are asking highly technical questions requiring translators, as well as significant cultural differences.

As to organic is better or not, that is another question altogether! A lot of non-organic food is actually sprayed with herbicides such as glyphosate etc and leave residues, I think for a lot of consumers organic food is a guarantee of herbicide free and non GE more than a belief in nutritional superiority. Mineral composition of food is related to mineral and physical conditions of the soil as well as environmental growing conditions. Organic food grown in perfect soil will obviously be better than food grown in poor soil treated entirely with soluble nitrogen. And organic food grown in very poor soil with serious mineral deficiencies can never rival non-organic food grown in perfect soil and environment. The difference is how the producer handles the conditions they have.... but this becomes a very long discussion!

• Upvote 1

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

GoPro?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages