IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm planting work in a Park

Kris

Dear Friends,

Iam meeting you all after a small gap.Here in this thread i will post visuals of palm planting work carried out with my collection of palms.

they were planted in a govt park nearby to our house,which is hardly one far-long.For many years i have been trying to get permission to plant palm trees in local parks but found it difficult to make contact with the concerned authorities.

3 months back we have sever floods due to rain and many parks are in bad shape as most of the plants have decayed due to rain water stagnation etc.So the govt has started improving and started planting new saplings and also have allowed the public to contribute to the park improvement.

i took this opportunity to get permission to plant few palms from our collection,which had out grown its pot size...due lack of garden space with me.

From the following post you will have visuals of that planting work..

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 4

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Nice gesture! It will be a wonderful park in the future.

• Upvote 1

08053.gif

1 hour ago, Kris said:

Though this not a palm,i liked this variety so gave it to the park..

20160306_104519_zps8rqbfngb.jpg

20160306_104524_zpsjv6hfubz.jpg

20160306_105049_zpsjvjzzsql.jpg

Good job!!!

Is this a Philodendron hastatum?

I have one like this, nice plant.

• Upvote 1

Thanks very much friends for your kind and encouraging words,And Dear Antonio i do not know the name of that plant.you could be right.

Thanks & Love,

Kris.

BTW the palm planting work in this park is not yet over,i intend posting stills as and when we plant new palms there.And also i would update their status every 6 or 8 months.since the soil is clayey and area get only filtered sunlight(semi shade).I assume the growth rate could be a bit slow.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Very nice project and great results, that park will be a legendary palm park in no time! Thank you for sharing this inspirational post.

• Upvote 1

Wonderful work Kris,

It seems you have a nice collection of rare species and soon this public park will be very beautiful .
I hope every body will enjoy and respect these little palms.
Looking forward to seeing updates .

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Dear Knell and Dear Philippe,

Thanks for visiting this thread and for keying in your valuable comments..

Love,

kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris, so wonderful to have you back! Great palms and good work. They will add so much beauty to this park for many years.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Great Job Kris!

That's the way to do it!

Don't stop with just one . . .

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dear Randy Thank you.

Dear Meg thanks and i will try to visit our forum regularly.

Dear Ed thanks and it is this forum which thought me lots of things including growing,sharing of palms and its seeds.i must say iam good learner.

Dear Dave thanks and your suggestion fully taken..

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Looks great. I remember when you started sprouting some of these. I just hope the guys who mow the grass don't run some of the smaller ones over before they have a chance to grow. Looking forward to your updates.

• Upvote 1

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

nice work Kris.
There is also a borassus flabellifer in the garden?

gr Peter

Edited by smile
  • Upvote 1

Ah, happy times Kris!!! Well done my friend, this park will look awesome for you and others to enjoy visiting :)

• Upvote 1

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Dear Lucas here we still chop the grass using long blades and its not mechanized yet.But still i will inform the chief gardner 

there to be little careful while cutting the grass.

Dear Peter i know that borassus flabellifer is your favorite palm,will try to get permission to plant at least one of those palms.

since initially they said they do not want phoenix and borassus palms there.

Dear Konstantinos thanks for the appreciation my friend.

Thanks & Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Awesome iniciative Brother. May all these palms grow healthy to adulthood.

Best regards, Gileno

• Upvote 1

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Fantastic Kris!! Its great to see you be able to share your passion with your own neighborhood! I echo SIr RedBeards worry. Maybe a Large rock or two placed near the sendlings can ward off errant cutting??

Party on Kris!!

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dear Brother Gileno its great to hear from you and thanks a lot.Lots of love to you and your family.

Dear Angel thanks.

Dear Bill very happy to hear from you and let me think how to protect those little palms.

Dear Adam thanks very much.

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Today we planted Thrinax Radiata which were raised from the gift seeds sent to me by our member PalmatierMeg

And Borassus Flabellifer (Robust form) fondly called as Big Mama,this palm i have planted since our forum member smile

is a big fan of this palm.

And here's a visual of those two palms...

20160313_104809_zps6ymapyo8.jpg

the planting work of the above palm will be posted in the next post.

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Rafael Thanks.

Lets see this weeks activity,and what plants went to the park..

They are Sabal River Side,Adonidia Merrillii and Adenium.

20160317_102755_zpsirsnaenv.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif