IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My hardscape projects complete, I'm starting to fill in the spaces I left open for the last 5 1/2 years in this garden.  Some things are new and others have been waiting many years in pots, moving from my previous home to this garden.  The biggest new impact though was a D prestoniana from a squat 20 gallon, I planted to join the other one I planted last year.  The new one is in the foreground and the one planted last year can be partially seen to it's left behind.

20160306-104A1099.jpg

• Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

The other palm that went in will hopefully eventually create a  light umbrella hanging over my bbq workspace, the D ambositrae.

20160306-104A1134.jpg

• Upvote 3

The other thing I planted yesterday was a companion plant, not a palm.  Encephalartos cupida, just love the color of this one!

20160306-104A1130.jpg

• Upvote 1

Along the right edge of the walkway, are the items I planted about 5 years ago now, knowing that they were out of harms way, due to remodel/house addition and later the hardscape projects.  The D prestoniana creates a nice screen for the driveway.

20160306-104A1138.jpg

• Upvote 2

The last view is looking from the edge of the back deck, down on the back yard/driveway.  I still have some spaces I can plant, but will try to focus on smaller and lower items for in fill and give some of the things that will go upright a chance to get bigger.  The temptation is always there to overplant a small space.

20160306-104A1143 rain after planting.jpg

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

Encephalartos cupida, just love the color of this one!

20160306-104A1130.jpg

I was thinking about another cycad which is currently flushing when I wrote this.  This is actually E. cupidus. While the flushing plant with the cupida is Cycas thouarsii x cupida.  Wrong genera for cupida!

20160306-104A1136 Cycas thouarsii x cupida flush.jpg

• Upvote 1

Wow that D. prestoniana is muy grande!  Where did procure that?  Looks great!

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

Very nice editions to the garden.

Really like the E. cupidis!

13 hours ago, el-blanco said:

Wow that D. prestoniana is muy grande!  Where did procure that?  Looks great!

Both D prestonianas came from George Sparkman at Cycads-n-Palms, the one I just planted and the one I planted in late 2014 which is in the background.  George was also the source for the E cupidus and the Cycas thouarsii x cupida pictured.

13 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Really like the E. cupidis!

Me too!  I will have a lot of different green's and blues mixed into that particular planter when it's all planted, as well as some interesting elevations.

looks great :) 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Josh-O said:

looks great :) 

I also planted the Dypsis mahajanga on the far side of my driveway, next to an E longifolius I transplanted from my other garden.  The longifolius looks a little beat up after the transplanting, but it should be coming out of it, as that was over a year ago now.  I ripped out roots coming from my neighbor's Brazilian pepper, and put up a root barrier last summer to protect that planting area from unwanted competition.

20160306-104A1098.jpg

Very nice Tracy.  I recently had the chance to see Dypsis Prestoniana in habitat and they were amazing.  nice to see you started with two big ones!  

Very nice Tracy!!!  Do I spy a Copernicia in there?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

19 hours ago, Fallbrook Jason said:

I recently had the chance to see Dypsis Prestoniana in habitat and they were amazing.

I'll bet they were cool to see in habitat, and I'm sure you saw plenty of other cool things there! 

11 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

What are you thinking regarding ground cover?

Good question.  I have already put in 3 small 1 gallon Acacia cognata "Cousin Itt" variant, which grows into a low shrub.  I have some that I planted over a year ago in a planter that are now about 24" x 24" and about 12" high.  There are 4 different Encephalartos cycads in that area which will take up significantly larger footprints than they currently do (E inopinus, E dyerianus, E horridus & E cupidus).  I may add some cuttings off my succulents and poach some starts off bromeliads I have growing in other parts of the garden too.  My wife was looking at a groundcover which I might use as a temporary filler as well, its called Kurapia, drought tolerant, and grows up several inches and can handle some traffic (my dog).

4 hours ago, MattyB said:

Very nice Tracy!!!  Do I spy a Copernicia in there?

Yes, that is the Copernicia baileyana x hospita hybrid I was telling you and the other Matt about in the water a few weeks back.  Despite winter, after talking to the two of you, I decided to go ahead and plant it rather than wait for Spring.  I have tried to make sure that my layout allows the cycads and the Copernicia to get plenty of sun, both now and when some of the items which will go vertical get larger.