Sign in to follow this  
knell

3g to 10g Pot for Ravenea Trio?

knell

Would a jump from 3 gallon to 10 gallon (11-37L) be too much for a Ravenea rivularis trio? They need to be sized up for the spring and that is the size I have available without going and getting another pot.

I feel like water retention shouldn't bother them too much since they enjoy wet soil, so my instincts say it should be fine.

Sabal Steve
2 hours ago, knell said:

Would a jump from 3 gallon to 10 gallon (11-37L) be too much for a Ravenea rivularis trio? They need to be sized up for the spring and that is the size I have available without going and getting another pot.

I feel like water retention shouldn't bother them too much since they enjoy wet soil, so my instincts say it should be fine.

I don't think that it would be.  I put a 5 gallon R. rivularis in a 30 gallon (actually 30 gallon) pot, and it grew to about 8 feet in a little over a year.  Didn't mind it a bit, but was quickly outgrowing the pot.  Frequently watered.

I dug it out and gave it to a neighbor.  It's hanging in there, but doesn't like getting constantly attacked by bugs.  Took the pic below after a year or so in the pot.  It was a little bigger when I moved it.

56da2f2b92276_2013-12-1814.29.01.thumb.j

20130819_162200.jpg

• Upvote 1

knell

Well that answers that then! Thank you @Sabal Steve for your report.

Looks like Ill make the transplant tomorrow, mine is sunburnt from being introduced to the outdoors but Im hoping the new pot will give it the boost to get back up to speed. If anything now Im wondering if I should get an even bigger pot!