IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mystery Tillandsia... Help ID please

Mandrew968

I found these at work, growing in a hole in some cap rock. I pulled them out for a remodel of the area and they don't look like any of the natives... This thing pups so utriculata is no. Fasciculata looks different in the leaflet-it's also bigger than fasciculata... Any information on these would be extremely helpful to me. Thanks in advance!

20160302_104037.jpg

• 1 year later...

Gonzer, no hard feelings with getting this one wrong. It took me until this Friday to finally ID this puppy (and a little bit of help from the man, himself) but I finally know. Tillandsia subteres. Man it feels good to have an ID! B)

Hell Man, none taken. Without flowers an identification of the large Tillandsias can be a crap-shoot.

But I gots to tell ya, T. subteres has channeled leaves of which I don't see any (could be the lighting) on your plants. Yours looks pretty smooth.

Here's a photo from FCBS

t_subteres_dennis.jpg

I can get some more pics for you. This is an old thread and I have placed these all over the garden. The ones in full sun on a coral rock, look the best-they turned a nice maroon-silver and are really big. 

I originally thought they were Jalisco-monticola...

These are a few pictures of the ones on the rock, in full sun. 

subteres.jpg

subteres2.jpg

subteres3.jpg

• Upvote 2

I was given a suggestion of subteres and when I looked at the google photos, I was convinced. Gonzer still knows bromes way better than I wish I could, so if you say it's not, please school me.

See how the leaves are smooth on your plants?

Subteres is supposed to have vertical channeling on the underneath of the leaf surface, such as in the photo below. You can make out the lines on the leaf in the foreground on the right side of the inflorescence.

When your plants bloom identification will be easy. T. Jalisco-monticola is a good suggestion also. The plant's leaves look pretty damn stiff. We'll see. 

t_subteres.jpg

Edited by Gonzer

The leaves are brittle and fleshy like harrisii. If you bend one, it breaks. 

I now see what you are saying about abaxial grooves/ridges running parallel to the leaf. Seems a miniscule feature, but I will certainly look for it tomorrow. Thanks for the help, as always!

• Upvote 1

Yeah, there is a tactile keel that runs down the leaf. Again, not sure how important of a feature this is, but it is there...

subteres.jpg

subteres2.jpg

Gonzer, are we done with this thread? Meaning we got to the bottom of it...

• 1 month later...

Ok, not sure who Ed is, but we have a bloom! Never seen a yellow bloom like this-glad to have this thing in my collection, whatever it is! 

20170619_161050.jpg

20170619_161056.jpg

• Upvote 1

That my friend, is an excellent example of the yellow form of T. capitata. And yes, who the hell IS Ed?

10 minutes ago, Mandrew968 said:

Well, thank you much, my friend! Case closed?

Not so fast my little buckaroo. Let's see some snaps when the purple flowers appear. It's a cool contrast, you'll dig it.

• Upvote 1