IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Removing suckers

GMann

A couple questions about removing suckers:

1) Sometimes I can remove a sucker very cleanly by simply grabbing it and pulling it away from the main stem. Other times no matter how hard I pull I cannot get it to come off, so I have to cut it with garden shears. I try to cut it as close to the main stem as I can but there is always a bit of the sucker's trunk that remains. Is this ok? I.e. is this a possible open wound that pests could exploit? Or will this just allow the sucker to grow back again from the bit of the remaining trunk?

2) Does removing suckers allow the main stem to grow faster? or does it not make any difference?

The specific palms I am working with are Chamaerops and Acoelorrhaphe wrightii.

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

I cut off suckers with a small hand saw. If they are small they come back and I cut them again. As long as the growing point is below the cut they will try to grow back. Eventually the palm seems to give up on them and tries new ones. It's an ongoing battle. I haven't had any problems with the but ends. I've also used a hammer and very wide chisel to break off suckers to pull up. Sometimes I have to get creative. I saw no evidence the palm grows faster but it might. If I catch suckers when small the palm won't expend nutrients and minerals growing extra stems.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 3 years later...

Old thread but is exactly what I was looking for.  PalmatierMeg or anyone else - do you do any sort of treatment to the cut surface?  I have yet to do this but I have two silver mediterranean fan palms that have gotten too full/bushy for their area and I want to promote growth into just a few primary trunks each.  I presume trimming above the dirt surface is preferred as well for plant health.  I have copper fungicide but if there is a better option I would love some input.  Thanks!

Dust the cut surface with powdered sulfur.  This is used by organic vegetable growers, inexpensive, non-toxic, very effective.  Whenever I cut into living tissue on a palm I always employ this practice.

Zimm, Welcome to Palmtalk !  :)

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California