IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

anyone growing Cyrtostachys renda in pots

User00

I just started and germinated a total of 4 Cyrtostachys renda. So far they are doing well despite the fact that I grow them in pretty dry air in heated rooms.

56c86f1798985_Cyrtostachysrenda20160105.

• Upvote 2

Frank

I've got one that I germinated 6 years ago. It's still bifid but it's starting to develop some red coloring.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

1 hour ago, Zeeth said:

I've got one that I germinated 6 years ago. It's still bifid but it's starting to develop some red coloring.

i think something wrong with that palm. at 6 years it should be fairly large tree.some c renda not grow,another palm fan here showed  his small renda,  after many years still small tree, same happend to one of my pinanga after 4 years still 30 cm so i removed that tree 

any pics,

1 minute ago, User00 said:

i think something wrong with that palm. at 6 years it should be fairly large tree.some c renda not grow,another palm fan here showed  his small renda,  after many years still small tree, same happend to one of my pinanga after 4 years still 30 cm so i removed that tree 

any pics,

I'm pretty happy with it, so I'm not too worried. They would never survive outdoors as far north as I am, so I'm fine with it staying small as long as it has nice color. I remove the suckers when they appear to keep it to one stem as well. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I had a red and a green lipstick on my back lanai under shadecloth until both grew too tall. For slow-growing palms they behaved more like rockets. I got them in 2008 and 2009, respectively. I rolled them indoors when temps fell below 45F. I knew they could not survive being planted so when they topped 9' I sold them both to the same guy who lives north of Tampa. I asked him to update me on their progress but he never did, so I don't know if they are still alive.

Cyrtostachys renda, red lipstick, 2012

56c8b1984c3c4_Cyrtostachysrenda0810-7-1256c8b1b4d126d_Cyrtostachysrenda0910-7-1256c8b1cc26ece_Cyrtostachysrenda0610-7-12

Cyrtostachys elegans, green lipstick, 2012

56c8b22183f5b_Cyrtostachyselegans0110-7-56c8b23f7ef56_Cyrtostachyselegans0710-7-56c8b25dbb5e8_Cyrtostachyselegans0310-7-

• Upvote 5

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I just bought a small seedling of "Areca Vestiaria..” RED crownshaft Form”, is this similar to "Cyrtostachys renda" or easier to grow in non-tropical environment ?

I do not think Areca vestiaria are easier to grow. In fact, direct sunlight kills them almost instantly in the seedling stage, even in Germany. So be very careful, they need shade, shade and shade when they are young. In terms of humidity, they are probably equally difficult. While C. renda likes wet feet, A. vestiaria likes humid soil, so a little more on the dry side. I am not sure either one is easier, they both are quite finicky in a non-tropical environment.

• Upvote 3

Frank

I found vestiaria more difficult in my subtropical environment, which was a surprise. C. renda loved my heat and humidity that lasts most of the year. But I had to make sure they never, not even once, went dry. They sat in trays of water. I found they grew and looked much better under shadecloth rather than sun. But as they grew larger and heavier and we grew older, they became a task to roll inside on cold nights. I won't try one again. I think, however, C. renda would be impossible as a long term houseplant, even for me. They need that jungle swelter that would never happen in modern heated homes.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Florida

23 hours ago, Zeeth said:
3 hours ago, Mohsen said:

oops small mistake when  quoted  

mohsen - what are the lowest temperature in Sydney  (day and night) 

On 2/21/2016, 8:00:38, User00 said:

oops small mistake when  quoted  

mohsen - what are the lowest temperature in Sydney  (day and night) 

where I live,  day average of max in summer is 27-30 and minimum at night 16-20 ...winter max day 18-20  min  at night 12-8 ! but theses figures are average as last year we had -1 for 3 days at 6:00 am ....

Ahamed, I grew a Cyrtostachys several years ago for only one year in my livingroom here in The Netherlands. It was an experiment, because everyone here told me that it would be a mission impossible. But the palm survived and was in fact doing rather well. But after one year, I decided to sell it to another palm-enthousiast. In the house, it needs lots of light, warmth and a high humidity!

Succes,

Wim.

IMG_0756klein.jpeg

IMG_0757_v1.JPG

• Upvote 4

Wimmie, gorgeous palm. I think someone would do better keeping a large lipstick like that indoors. Problem is, most people try small seedlings because this palm is so expensive and those seedlings just can't make it.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

Hi all, I'm currently in Kerala on holiday. The lipstick palm is popular for gardens and hotel grounds.

It's a very beautiful palm. Unfortunately, I haven't found one with seeds yet.

Here's a beautiful one in my hotel grounds now next to areca catechu with coconut in background. 

DSC_0001.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/20/2016, 8:00:08, Zeeth said:

IMG_4930.thumb.jpg.3813ab3113388ebca7e13

fantastic!!! nice job...

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

6 hours ago, Ivorhooper said:

Hi all, I'm currently in Kerala on holiday. The lipstick palm is popular for gardens and hotel grounds.

It's a very beautiful palm. Unfortunately, I haven't found one with seeds yet.

Here's a beautiful one in my hotel grounds now next to areca catechu with coconut in background. 

DSC_0001.JPG

Kerala has same climate  as here,  visit western ghats if possible to see Bentinckia condapanna in wild 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, wimmie said:

Ahamed, I grew a Cyrtostachys several years ago for only one year in my livingroom here in The Netherlands. It was an experiment, because everyone here told me that it would be a mission impossible. But the palm survived and was in fact doing rather well. But after one year, I decided to sell it to another palm-enthousiast. In the house, it needs lots of light, warmth and a high humidity!

Succes,

Wim.

IMG_0756klein.jpeg

IMG_0757_v1.JPG

Great 

1 minute ago, User00 said:

Kerala has same climate  as here,  visit western ghats if possible to see Bentinckia condapanna in wild 

Just returned from the western ghats. We stayed in Kumily. No condopannas that I could see though. Quite a few caryota urens however.

On 2/22/2016, 12:10:30, wimmie said:

Succes,

Wim.

IMG_0756klein.jpeg

IMG_0757_v1.JPG

beautiful ...

How did you provide the needed humidity ?

• Upvote 1

My three C. renda spent the winter in an unheated atrium and did fine. My low was 37f  outside, and it dipped into the forties several times in the atrium and they didn't blink.  I'm pretty impressed and shall plant them where they are sitting.   

This thread makes me confident I could container-ranch this up here in Nebraska. . .  (but I have no more room!)

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

I planted these guys in pots in case it got too cold and I had to bail out, but they did better than my Areca vesties that were in the ground. 

image.jpeg

I've tried a few times here in Nebraska...and failed with the last try buying a lager palm about 3ft in height. Had it (in pot) in tub that I kept water in with a submersible fish tank heater in it to warm water to low 80's in front of a large East facing window. Palm did well it seemed until I sprayed it with Neem oil since a palm close by had start of spider mites. The Neem oil killed the Lipstick palm and one other much harder to replace palm I had. I learned if you use Neem oil as a spray to then wash off treated palm the next day so the oil doesn't suffocate it. Lesson learned.

I plan on trying one more time when weather warms enough to have one shipped here again from Hawaii.

002.JPG

003.JPG

Edited by sashaeffer
  • Upvote 2

Now this feels like I have to try. . .  For Science!

• Upvote 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

1 hour ago, sashaeffer said:

I've tried a few times here in Nebraska...and failed with the last try buying a lager palm about 3ft in height. Had it (in pot) in tub that I kept water in with a submersible fish tank heater in it to warm water to low 80's. Palm did well it seemed until I sprayed it with Neem oil since a palm close by had start of spider mites. The Neem oil killed the Lipstick palm and one other much harder to replace palm I had. I learned if you use Neem oil as a spray to then wash off treated palm the next day so the oil doesn't suffocate it. Lesson learned.

I plan on trying one more time when weather warms enough to have one shipped here again from Hawaii.

Scott, try wiping leaves with a damp rag of soapy water.  Kills the mites and the palms don't blink an eye.

15 hours ago, Hammer said:

Scott, try wiping leaves with a damp rag of soapy water.  Kills the mites and the palms don't blink an eye.

I should have left it alone since there was no sign of spider mites and it might still be alive today. These at least are easily replaceable. I was crushed at the loss of my only Licuala aurantiaca which is not easily replaced especially at the size as mine was and such a great grower.

Licuala aurantiaca 002.JPG

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

I should have left it alone since there was no sign of spider mites and it might still be alive today. These at least are easily replaceable. I was crushed at the loss of my only Licuala aurantiaca which is not easily replaced especially at the size as mine was and such a great grower.

Licuala aurantiaca 002.JPG

Yeah that is a bummer!