IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free Orange Geiger - Cordia sebestena - seeds

Loxahatchee Adam

I have a bunch of Cordia sebestena (Orange Geiger) seeds that just ripened off the tree.  They are the uncleaned fruits.  Because of their size, shipping overseas will require a small box and will be in the $15 range and will need to be reimbursed.  Shipping within US is free.  Gathered Feb 2016.  Send a PM if interested.

I have a few in the ground in far western Loxahatchee.  They have not been here for a true freeze yet, but have come through multiple nights in the 36-38ºF (2-3ºC) range the past few years with no problems.  Frost has burnt the leaves when it's occurred, but no harm to the tree or branches themselves.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Loxahatchee Adam said:

I have a bunch of Cordia sebestena (Orange Geiger) seeds that just ripened off the tree.  They are the uncleaned fruits.  Because of their size, shipping overseas will require a small box and will be in the $15 range and will need to be reimbursed.  Shipping within US is free.  Gathered Feb 2016.  Send a PM if interested.

I have a few in the ground in far western Loxahatchee.  They have not been here for a true freeze yet, but have come through multiple nights in the 36-38ºF (2-3ºC) range the past few years with no problems.  Frost has burnt the leaves when it's occurred, but no harm to the tree or branches themselves.

Hi Adam, I would like to try that here in California if you still have any seats left. Thanks, JoshHi Adam, I would like to try that here in California if you still have any seats left. Thanks, Josh

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Pretty!

IMG_0311Cordia_sebestena_TA.jpg

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

VERY frost tender tree that seems to die at 31 F.I've grown them to flowering size in my greenhouse but never had 1 survive an Arizona winter in the ground.Less cold hardy than Royal Poinciana for comparison...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

5 hours ago, aztropic said:

VERY frost tender tree that seems to die at 31 F.I've grown them to flowering size in my greenhouse but never had 1 survive an Arizona winter in the ground.Less cold hardy than Royal Poinciana for comparison...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Agree with Scott.. Smaller seedlings are especially sensitive to cold.. a couple seedlings i have dropped all their leaves after a couple nights below 45F. Have been told larger/more established specimens can return from the roots if completely frozen out. One of my favorite Fl subtropical trees but very touchy.. Perhaps the most cold sensitive of the Cordia species.

• Like 1

Josh, I'll send some out to you. Hopefully they make it.

I went outside just now and attached a pic of the tree these seeds came from.  It's about 10 ft tall, and has not bushed out yet.

We had a cold spell last week.  I have max-min digital thermometers setup around the property. On Feb 11 I got 41.9 by the pond   40.2 at house.  On North side: 39.7 @ 6 ft off ground, 37.4 @ 1 ft off ground. This tree was probably right in 38 degrees overall.  It seems to have done fine.  Those are still 10b temps though.

IMG_8680.JPG

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, Loxahatchee Adam said:

I went outside just now and attached a pic of the tree these seeds came from.  It's about 10 ft tall, and has not bushed out yet.

We had a cold spell last week.  I have max-min digital thermometers setup around the property. On Feb 11 I got 41.9 by the pond   40.2 at house.  On North side: 39.7 @ 6 ft off ground, 37.4 @ 1 ft off ground. This tree was probably right in 38 degrees overall.  It seems to have done fine.  Those are still 10b temps though.

IMG_8680.JPG

thanks Adam. I'll plant them on top of my hill in a good micro climate 

Sunset zone 24

On 2/17/2016, 8:43:15, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

thanks for the info. this is good to know

• Like 1

Sunset zone 24

37 minutes ago, Loxahatchee Adam said:

IMG_8680.JPG

Good point Adam.
While my own seedlings dropped most of their leaves, there are specimens nearby about the size of yours or slightly larger fully exposed that still have a full canopy after the one night it got down to 34F and a few other nights we saw the low 40s/ high 30s last month. Pretty sure the specimens growing in St. Pete near Kopsick survived with only minor damage after the 09-10 cold spell.

• 4 years later...

Post winter update of mine, now grown 4 years in Arizona..  Brought inside only on nights when temps are forecast to drop below 32F. Left outside on the Patio in winter to keep drier, ..under the Mesquite ( shifting bright shade ) otherwise. As mentioned a few times in past threads, was one of several seedlings that had popped up in the pot.. All but this one faded out within 2 years.. Winter cold might have played a part but not totally convinced of that..
DSC07809.thumb.JPG.4cb48ade60d55978b5ecf18993e9bceb.JPG

An really challenging flowering tree to try and grow here? Madre De Cacao, Gliricidia sepium.. Grows like a weed when it is hot, looses 75% of that growth in the winter each year, regardless if it comes in on the coldest days i have seen here or not.  Growth has a habit of waiting until late winter, just as we move into early spring before dying back. Only a rare Bursera from i have exhibits a similar weird growth pattern.

• Like 1

I also have one of these just waking up after a near death experience this winter.Seed was planted just last spring and grew like a weed! If I make it survive till next spring,it should bloom. I've grown these many times before,just for fun, and they always bloom for me at the start of the third growing season.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15880048308778448245713596187370.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

• 2 years later...
On 2/17/2016 at 8:40 AM, Josh-O said:

Hi Adam, I would like to try that here in California if you still have any seats left. Thanks,Josh

Josh,

Curious if you had any in ground success with this species. I can grow them just fine in a pot in AZ,but not more than a year or 2 in ground before a cold front takes them out. Here's one of mine,currently flowering.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20220520_060059286_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220520_060119565.jpg

IMG_20220520_060233593.jpg

IMG_20220520_060135007.jpg

IMG_20220520_060211893.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

On 2/18/2016 at 8:10 PM, Josh-O said:

thanks Adam. I'll plant them on top of my hill in a good micro climate 

Hi Josh have an update?

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.