IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is the secret to growing Neoveitchia storckii?

Palmaceae

I planted a small Neoveitchia storckii back in May of 2014, never did that well.  It would put out new fronds but very slowly. I put it in the most protected part of my yard but did not receive that much shade as I really did not have any at that time (that was the first problem, too much sun).  Since then things have grown and it did get partially shaded during the day.  This year we never went below 40 but it is quickly declining.  So the question is, what is the secret of growing this palm?

Below is a picture of it a month ago, looks a lot worse now. It is the small palm in front of the small coconut.

Neoveitchia.png

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

I wish I knew. My latest (and last) specimen is deep in my shade garden above the canal and mopes along. I'm wondering if this palm can't take our alkaline soil.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I planted 6 of these about 12 years ago - and after about 6 years of not being able to get them looking good I gave up on 3 of them - digging them out with about 3 feet of trunk. The remaining three have been getting healthy doses of K-Mag - since the older leaves were always turning orange and looked like crap. I also made sure they never dried out. And all I can say is they look okay now. But I don't know if it was the K-Mag or the extra water or both.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Thanks Meg and Dean, I don't think I will try another one.

I too planted three together in 2000. One by one the spears collapsed, and eventually I dug them out. I had a fourth one and planted it out away from the other and it's huge. That one suffered no issues and continues to thrive at 25' overall. 

Search my past posts on my neoveitchia. 

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

4 hours ago, TikiRick said:

I too planted three together in 2000. One by one the spears collapsed, and eventually I dug them out. I had a fourth one and planted it out away from the other and it's huge. That one suffered no issues and continues to thrive at 25' overall. 

Search my past posts on my neoveitchia. 

Thanks Rick, I will check it out. It is such a striking palm, but certainly hard to grow.

For me, they have a  high water requirement.  I don't plant anything smaller than a 15 gallon palm, and usually give them quite a bit of direct light from the start.  That seems to be fine as long as the water requirement is met.  I've also experienced mite issues with regularity on most of the ones I've planted, so I need to be vigilant about checking for and treating the mites.  Like Dean, I've found these do appreciate extra K-mag, as well as fertilization regularly.  This is one palm that I like to use the palm fertilizer spikes for to help it with getting  regular source of nutrients.  I know of another palm up the road from me that has been in the ground about 8-10 years now.  It is in fairly low light, on drip irrigation, and gets regular fertilizing.  It has 8 ft or so of wood, and its leaves are beautifully dark green, practically unblemished.  Apparently that palm does not the experience the mite issues that mine do in full sun.  Go figure.  I still feel these are worthy of trying more than once for the potential reward down the road.

Shade, water, iron, decent soil. They are not hard to grow for me. Having said that, I can understand the question of how to get them to look flawless--all four requirements must be met. If you just meet two or three, your palm will be growing, just not flawlessly(like mine).

I had a single two leaf seedling in the ground since August 2008 that ended up in shade thanks to some torch gingers. It grew well until I found it dead when I moved last July. I would certainly try again! Thanks for all the good information!

Cindy Adair

So a small one would prefer shade in the beginning, is that full shade?

Thanks

Yes, full shade. Wind protection, too. Those large, elegant leaves are very fragile. In retrospect, I think mine was getting too much sun after I lost my queen palm canopy. I'm hoping fast growing palms I planted will remedy that soon.

Meg

Florida

The Neoveitchias that seed at Fairchild are in some of the more alkaline soil in the garden. They are just beyond the rainforest area in the lowlands as you walk out. They need shade and a little pampering when young, Carpoxylon and Clinostigma are some of their closer relatives. I had two in Venice, but one died in the cold of 2010, and one a year later from being injured from the previous winter. They are a pain to germinate and suffer from fungal issues as youngsters like Carpoxylon, that is why they are a little more on the pricey side.

Meg - I will be moving to the SE Cape in about a month or two, my girlfriend has a house there. Looking forward to growing palms again, I will have to see your yard!

-Christian 

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Mine here at the nursery and house ( I have quite a few growing) do very well. They get practically all day sun but are planted in my rich black soil. My largest one has been seeding now for close to 10 years. They do enjoy water, but mine get no extra other than the rains and regular irrigation.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

2 hours ago, cfkingfish said:

Meg - I will be moving to the SE Cape in about a month or two, my girlfriend has a house there. Looking forward to growing palms again, I will have to see your yard!

Glad to have another palm lover in the Cape. You are welcome to come by.

Meg

Florida

4 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Mine here at the nursery and house ( I have quite a few growing) do very well. They get practically all day sun but are planted in my rich black soil. My largest one has been seeding now for close to 10 years. They do enjoy water, but mine get no extra other than the rains and regular irrigation.

Jeff at what size should we be planting these out ? I've been meeting all the requirements mentioned above but still struggle with these I was thinking mabey I've been planting them out to small from a 3 gal.

Thanks 

Dominic

16 hours ago, dmc said:

Jeff at what size should we be planting these out ? I've been meeting all the requirements mentioned above but still struggle with these I was thinking mabey I've been planting them out to small from a 3 gal.

Thanks 

Dominic

Depending on what time of the year, and where the palm in it's pot is growing from the grower, it's safe to start with a bigger one. Something in a 10, maybe 15 gallon size. Of course, if planted now it would have time to acclimate before getting into mid summer. Expect some leaf burn coming out of a shadehouse, but they will adjust nicely by the second year.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I didn't know there was a secret to growing them.  These 5 along my driveway were planted December 2011 from 7-gal pots.  They get ample water from the frequent rains and as Dean mentioned, the yellowing of the lower leaves has prompted me to give them regular doses of slow-release fertilizer.  When I first noticed the yellowing I used the Lutz palm spikes and they responded well.

These will soon display the distinctive purple-chocolate crown shaft.  Love those glossy leaflets.

image.thumb.jpeg.8d61dfb342fffb3fa689a4dimage.thumb.jpg.4eab1f782ca35b3230b0a8c1

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Like Meg I think it has to do with our very alkaline soils here in SW Florida.  Mine gets plenty of water and fertilizer but still not happy. My Beccariophoenix madagascariensis has issues too with my soil (sand really).  No matter what I do and give it, it is still yellow. I know it is the high PH and tried to lower it with no avail.  Plus I have a well so the irrigation water is alkaline.

Plus when they build houses here they use fill soil from anywhere they can find it, so basically our soil is not the greatest.

• 3 years later...

Any updates on your Neoveitchia storckii's y'all?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I've killed one, have a couple in the ground now, one looking really good, the other struggling a little. This is one of the only palms that I will not plant in a well-drained area. We have dry spells, even on east Hawaii Island, and my impression is that they can't take drying out around the roots.  Mine are in full sun, and the clayey, volcanic, acidic soil helps, I think.

• Like 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Here is a photo from April. Not the greatest shot, but as you can see, they have grown. 

DBC9C30C-2B5E-4D3C-85FB-A5142C5B9019.thumb.jpeg.d65ee8a3427ca2d5b1b0b80f38b127d5.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

The couple I have grown are in shade with moist or even wet soil. The oldest was planted in July 2010 from a 1 gal. pot. 

DSC_1354~2.JPG

• Like 6

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I've given up on this species - 3x and I'm done. They just don't survive for me.

Meg

Florida

12 hours ago, Kim said:

Here is a photo from April. Not the greatest shot, but as you can see, they have grown. 

DBC9C30C-2B5E-4D3C-85FB-A5142C5B9019.thumb.jpeg.d65ee8a3427ca2d5b1b0b80f38b127d5.jpeg

Incredible!

• Upvote 1

I have seeds germinating now. Fresh seeds germinate in about 12 weeks .

I have one 12 year old palm in my highland garden and it was very slow to form a trunk. I want to try these in my beach garden in a protected spot. I imagine they will be similar to growing Satakentia ,which was a difficult grow at the beach. 

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

On 5/5/2019 at 11:30 AM, scottgt said:

I have seeds germinating now. Fresh seeds germinate in about 12 weeks .

That gives me hope.

When the seeds arrived I soaked them for two/three days in water and put them in a baggy pack, as I always do. 

It seemed that I could not get the soaked water out of the seeds, they always looked too wet for my taste. So I reduced 

the spagmoss' moisture level constantly - without any significant progress. So I gave up on this method and now they are

outside in a community pot - first time for me - in half shade under a Cyathea spinulosa. I hope, it works -

it would be great to give this species a try over here.

Thank you for all your shared experiences in this thread -

best regards

Lars

Fortunately,  no stories of struggles or setbacks with N. storckii here in Hilo, been a mostly trouble free grow. Gets scale every now and then, but they have been relatively fast growers.

Be thankful of slow growing specimens, gives one more time to touch and enjoy the smooth chocolate color crown shaft. I can only enjoy from a distance nowadays. Still really like these 

palms though.

Tim  

The first photo was taken back in late 2009, the other earlier this year. 

IMG_3269.jpg

P1060272.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 4 years later...

I’m growing one in a raised bed below is heavy clay and above is rich to soil I’ve added to this raised bed.   I think it’ was getting too much sun when I first planted it but now adapting and growing well.  

IMG_5492.jpeg

• Like 1

@Arturo BostonI am happy to hear yours is now growing well, but they are fairly large palms and it appears yours is planted very close to your house. 

On 5/6/2019 at 2:43 PM, realarch said:

Fortunately,  no stories of struggles or setbacks with N. storckii here in Hilo, been a mostly trouble free grow. Gets scale every now and then, but they have been relatively fast growers.

Be thankful of slow growing specimens, gives one more time to touch and enjoy the smooth chocolate color crown shaft. I can only enjoy from a distance nowadays. Still really like these 

palms though.

Tim  

The first photo was taken back in late 2009, the other earlier this year. 

IMG_3269.jpg

P1060272.jpg

Beauties. "Be thankful of slow growing specimens"  as my garden is now over 20years old I hear you loud and clear lol.  I look up a lot.

• Like 2

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A