IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tallest Livistona?

Sandy Loam

From reading PalmTalk, I have discovered that Livistona Decora (aka. Livistona Decipiens) is the fastest-grower according to readership consensus.  However, which Livistona is the tallest after about 20 years of growth? 

There is a Livistona Decora down the street from me, but it has remained the same size for many years now.  A Washingtonia Robusta in its place would have been much taller by now. I am beginning to speculate that perhaps Livistona Decora reaches a typical maximum growth size which is not terribly impressive, despite its rapid growth rate.  The Livistona Decora nearby, and others I have seen, tend to be about 20 feet tall or slightly less.  I have never seen a 40-foot tall Livistona Decora.

Has anyone seen a 40-foot tall Livistona Mariae?   If so, how long did it take to reach this height?

Thanks for your input.         

• Upvote 1

Livistona decora grows very fast until it gets to about 20ft then it slows down considerably. The oldest we have at Leu Gardens was planted in 1986 and is just about 30ft tall. Another that was planted in 1994 is almost 30ft tall. It is growing in ideal conditions and shot up like a rocket to 20ft then slowed down.

There are some growing at Disney's Polynesian resort , planted back in the mid 1980s and are only about 30ft tall, same at Epcot. There are some tall Livistona (various species) at Fairchild but they were planted decades ago. We have some tall (40-50ft) Livistona chinensis in the woods here at Leu Gardens but there were planted sometime prior to 1960 when the property was still Mr. Leu's estate. Livistona chinensis grows super fast in the shade until it gets 15-20ft then greatly slows down.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Redbeard, I read that PACSOA link and found another one on Livistona Mariae at the same site.  It says that there is natural habitat in Australia where the Mariae are 65 metres tall. That's double the maximum height of Nitida. The PACSOA site explained that growth rate and height depended on the availability of water beneath the root system, at least for Mariae.

Yeah, it makes me wonder if the future of LA should be Livistona Mariae lining the streets of LA instead of Washingtonia Robusta.  Livistona Mariae, if like other Livistona, are not susceptible to the pests/fungus/wilt, they grow just as tall as washingtonia robusta, they supposedly grow quite quickly, and they are quite drought-tolerant....and they are as cold-hardy too. Perfect!

My experience has been that even the most drought tolerant Livistona don't even come close to Washies, not by an Outback Kilometer.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 18.2.2016, 00:49:13, Sandy Loam said:

Redbeard, I read that PACSOA link and found another one on Livistona Mariae at the same site.  It says that there is natural habitat in Australia where the Mariae are 65 metres tall. That's double the maximum height of Nitida. The PACSOA site explained that growth rate and height depended on the availability of water beneath the root system, at least for Mariae.

L. mariae 65 m ??? I can’t find such info here: http://www.pacsoa.org.au/wiki/Livistona_mariae

»The tallest palms in the valley have reached a height of 25 m. «

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

33 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Agree with Mr DD

While they inhabit really harsh landscapes, the Livvies lurk in the riverbeds. Even when the river isn't flowing there's water underground within reach of roots.

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I stand corrected. I see the "25 metres" remark in the PACSOA link about Livistona Mariae. I don't know where I got the 65 metres from. 

Livistona Nitida could be the tallest Livistona --- at least among those in cultivation over here.

Washies (if anyone cares) will hit 125+ feet (42+ M) before they finally go toten, muerte, dead. Robustas especially.

Still, those Livvies are awesome!

• Upvote 1

I just found this article on several Livistonas by PalmBob:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1239/

Yes, Saribus seems to be one of the tallest and, in tropical climates (not in Mediterranean climates), is supposedly quite fast growing.  Mariae is listed as only a moderately fast grower. Nitida and Rotundiafolia (aka. Robinsoniana) are listed as tall and quite fast-growing (Nitida is fast in Mediterranean climate whereas Rotundifolia is fast in a tropical clilmate).

.....and, to my surprise, PalmBob lists Livistona Mariae as only a moderately fast grower in his article (link above).