Jeff Searle

DeArmand Hull

Jeff Searle

I just found out today that De Hull passed away either earlier today or maybe yesterday. Just not too sure. De was legendary back in the 70's through the early 2000's here in south Florida as a collector of palms and palm vendor for over 25 years at Fairchild Tropical Gardens in Miami. Just a few years back he had moved out to Hawaii, on the big island. RIP.

Jeff

BS Man about Palms

I only knew of him from your mentions of him, but its always sad to see Palm legends go. RIP

Palmaceae

I remember meeting him in the 80's, I wondered where he was lately.

bgl

Very sorry to hear this. DeArmand did indeed move to the Hilo side of the Big Island a few years ago and I would often see him at the various HIPS functions and also many times at the Maku'u Farmers' Market south of Hilo, where he would always find some plants to buy. It was thanks to DeArmand that I was able to acquire three Lodoicea seeds back in 1999 after he went to the Seychelles and had a number of viable Lodoicea seeds shipped back to the USA. All three germinated and are still doing well and will be there as a memory to DeArmand.

• Upvote 1

EllisB

A true palm enthusiast, also a bird lover. Spent a many Saturdays helping him with his palm and bird collection. He will be missed. 

realarch

Sorry to hear that. Shortly after moving here a few years back, De Hull was an active member of our local Hawaii Island Palm Society and it's too bad to lose an important member.

Pretty colorful character and I'm still hearing stories about his life.

Tim

hbernstein

I last saw De three years ago when he visited Garfield Park Conservatory here in Chicago. He  offered some valuable horticultural advice.

I know that De had had some ups and downs in life.  By the time that we had last met, his star had faded. 

I hope that he found some peace in Hawaii.

• Upvote 1

Josh-O

its always sad to hear of a fellow plant/palm lover passing.