IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Needle Palm and winter wet.

siege2050

I bought 3 1 gallon Needle Palms that are getting their divided fronds now, and I have read that needles like water. But what about growing them in places that can be damp after winter rains,  and snows when it might get down to 0F? I dont  want the roots to rot. Close to my house water can accumulate for a day or two after heavy rains, or snow in winter and that is where I would like to plant them if possible.

We really don't get snow to speak of, but starting in December through mid February our soil stay continuously cold and wet the entire time.   My needles don't seem to bothered by it at all.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

On 2/6/2016, 9:17:08, _Keith said:

We really don't get snow to speak of, but starting in December through mid February our soil stay continuously cold and wet the entire time.   My needles don't seem to bothered by it at all.

Thanks for the info, hopefully they will make it because that's the best place for them lol.

• Upvote 1

On February 5, 2016 at 9:41:13 PM, siege2050 said:

I bought 3 1 gallon Needle Palms that are getting their divided fronds now, and I have read that needles like water. But what about growing them in places that can be damp after winter rains,  and snows when it might get down to 0F? I dont  want the roots to rot. Close to my house water can accumulate for a day or two after heavy rains, or snow in winter and that is where I would like to plant them if possible.

Where do you live and what zone?  Duration of freeze is important and whether or not the ground freezes solid or just the first inch or so.  Needles are used to winter flooding in habitat, but it also doesn't usually get below around 15F in habitat either.  I would make sure that they are mulched very well.

Zone 7a Oklahoma, we have not gotten below zero in the last 3 or 4 years or so, but down to 1F last year. I have overwintered Bedding Begonias (Was surprised) by accident with a bit of mulch before, and Setcreasea Pallida usually overwinters each year with mulch, so I dont think it freezes too far down or these would die, at least not where its dry.Where its wet I am not sure. It's not immersed all winter by the house but rain runs down a hill beside the house, and can sit there for half a day or so where it's flat, before it drains, and it can be pretty damp until it dries out in a few days.

Edited by siege2050

You should be more concerned about protecting the spear.  At 1 gallon size, 0F will likely kill the the main spear.  If it doesn't have any pups it might not even come back from new buds.  I'd cover them up.

• Upvote 1

Zone 7a/b Delaware

Unusual Plants

1 hour ago, Turtile said:

You should be more concerned about protecting the spear.  At 1 gallon size, 0F will likely kill the the main spear.  If it doesn't have any pups it might not even come back from new buds.  I'd cover them up.

Yeah, I will cover all my palms the first few years. Its hard to get a good size palm here, I have to rely on Ebay, etc. as there are no local growers.