IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona drudei

NatureGirl

I recently noticed my neighbor across the street has a nice Livistona drudei in her back yard. She had the 'jungle' thinned out and that's when I realized it wasn't a Liv. decipiens!I use to have a Liv. decipiens and it was a very heavy trunked palm with a super full head. I like this one much better. It has a thinner trunk and the head is not too full, just perfect amount of leaves IMO. Anyway, here's a few pics I took today, loaded with seed.

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

• Upvote 4

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

Such an elegant palm; I love the long petioles that distinguish itself from the sabal palmettos, which can look a bit similar at first glance. Wish we could grow them here! Or any Livistona for that matter...

I love this palm over decora too. You can add benthamii in there too, though the trunk is different. Most like the fuller look of decora, but drudei is one of my favorites in this genus. Thanks for sharing.

5 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

I fear it has already contracted a borer...

I had to look up what a borer was- I learn something new everyday on PT lol. How can you tell that its contracted borer?

• Upvote 1

I see at least one broken petiole. This is here especially on my Livistona spp a clear sign of a borer, that is the Paysandisia. I have no clue what else can do the same in Florida, or whether the Paysandisia has set foot in north America...

Thats a nice specimen, I wish L. drudei were grown more.

There is a nice mature specimen at Rockledge Gardens nursery in the back.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

We live less than 1 block from the ocean, broken branches are common on all our palms. No borer on that palm, it's very healthy. However, she unfortunately has some Ganoderma on her Queen palms.

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida