IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

reverse mule

Tropicdoc

I posted on the main forum and no response. I would like some of these palms. I mean syagrus x butia. Syagrus pollinated with butia pollen. The pictures of this palm look IMHO way more tropical and coconutesque. Anybody got some seedlings or a source?

I've seen it in person and it doesn't look too different from a regular mule IMO. It's also much a harder cross to do.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Thanks, Keith.

Maybe just coincidence that the pics I saw were tall with thin trunks and gave off a more tropical vibe. I trust your opinion.

P.S. Good luck with med school. You will soon be tropicdoc2.

Thanks! Here's a picture of the one I saw. It's at Tampa Scott's yard. I think the biggest difference that I noticed is that it's more plumose than a typical mule. The trunk was pretty thick.

arevIMG_2932.thumb.jpg.e81ee1949d9c55f33

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Fronds look a little less stiff, too?

I have one of these, but it's still pretty small.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Maybe the reverse mule will grow taller than a regular mule palm, in time (?)  The thick trunk doesn't necessarily mean that it will grow to be strout like a butia odorata, I would venture to guess. Nice tree, by the way!

I wonder if the reverse mule is less cold hardy than a regular mule palm. This wouldn't matter here because queen palms grow fine this region, as they do over near you in New Orleans. However, it might be risky in zone 8b or 8a.

Does anyone have additional reverse mule photos to post? There is probably lots of variation.

Hey Tropicdoc1, I remember seeing a couple of extremely cocnutty-looking mule palms at Brooksville Palms.  However, the owner mentioned that they didn't handle the cold as well as the others.  In any case, if you shop around on-site at the mule palm farms, you might be able to find yourself a regular mule that has the look you're trying to achieve. I was amazed by the variation in appearance at Brooksville Palms, although only the big ones have truly matured into their look. It is hard to tell what the little ones will turn out like.

Last I made this cross. It´s very difficult to make and the seed set was poor. Waiting for germination.....

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 2 weeks later...
On February 7, 2016 at 5:50:19 PM, Ben in Norcal said:

Lighting not great, but here is mine:

12715640_10153237419372234_4098527996370

Looks very much like a queen... Which is not a bad thing. Where is brooks vile palms?

On February 3, 2016 at 6:48:07 PM, Zeeth said:

Thanks! Here's a picture of the one I saw. It's at Tampa Scott's yard. I think the biggest difference that I noticed is that it's more plumose than a typical mule. The trunk was pretty thick.

arevIMG_2932.thumb.jpg.e81ee1949d9c55f33

Very nice looking trunk on this one

35 minutes ago, Tropicdoc said:

Looks very much like a queen... Which is not a bad thing. Where is brooks vile palms?

It looks like a queen, but is pinnate vs. plumose.  Will be v. interesting to see how this one progresses.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

The base of the Reverse Mule measures 7' around just above the soil level, adding interest to the trunk and leaves are not as stiff.

pizap.com14559900111711.thumb.jpg.79e556 

pizap.com14559901615611.thumb.jpg.c3d907

• Upvote 3

Hi Scott

Beautiful palm! Btw, I want to let you know, the two palms you sent me some years ago are still alive. The red based butia is growing in southern Switzerland at my friends place near Italy. The butiagrus I gave to another friend who lives in Venice, Italy.

Best Regards,

Marcel

• Upvote 1

It looks interesting, I may have to give Brooksville Palms a call.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

21 hours ago, maesy said:

Hi Scott

Beautiful palm! Btw, I want to let you know, the two palms you sent me some years ago are still alive. The red based butia is growing in southern Switzerland at my friends place near Italy. The butiagrus I gave to another friend who lives in Venice, Italy.

Best Regards,

Marcel

Thanks Marcel ! Great to hear they are still alive.

The reverse mule has had a few offspring and will be interesting to see them develop and mature. Here are a few photos of one of the offspring.

pizap.com14560828493411.thumb.jpg.808eb2pizap.com14560829735411.thumb.jpg.78d82fpizap.com14560828964791.thumb.jpg.67dcf7

• Upvote 1

Do you think it is self fertile then Scott? Or back crossed with Queen?

Ben Rogers

On 2/20/2016, 2:09:08, RedRabbit said:

It looks interesting, I may have to give Brooksville Palms a call.

All the ones at Brooksville are done by me and Mark Lynn. None of them are reverse crossed. I have lots of photos of his field's if you would like to see the variety. As far as I am aware he has the largest stock pile of them.

6 minutes ago, ErikSJI said:

All the ones at Brooksville are done by me and Mark Lynn. None of them are reverse crossed. I have lots of photos of his field's if you would like to see the variety. As far as I am aware he has the largest stock pile of them.

Let's see some photos Erik! We love us some photos!

Ben Rogers

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2016‎ ‎3‎:‎08‎:‎44‎, Ben in Norcal said:

Do you think it is self fertile then Scott? Or back crossed with Queen?

Ben, I really can not answer that question and I do not give it a thought. My understanding is that they are not self fertile but who knows. I just let nature do its own thing on these.

3 hours ago, Tampa Scott said:

Ben, I really can not answer that question and I do not give it a thought. My understanding is that they are not self fertile but who knows. I just let nature do its own thing on these.

I'm on board with not giving it a thought as long as you send me one! :D

Ben Rogers