IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Listed as 9b: Pinanga Coronata & Gaussia Maya

Sandy Loam

Dave's Garden lists Pinanga Coronata & Gaussia Maya as USDA zone 9b palms.  Has anyone had success in growing these in Zone 9a?   

I have a couple I'm going to plant this spring in zone 9b TX where I suspect they will be marginal at best.  I assume that they will freeze back sooner or later, but I gather that they will come back from a freeze once they are established, or so I hope!  I've heard P. coronata and P. kuhlii are the cold hardiest of the pinangas, and they both look to be good clumpers, so I'm optimistic. 

They are both borderline 9b/10a palms. Pinanga coronata with freeze back below around 28-29F but usually comes back. This is the form with the evenly spaced leaflets. The form wiith the unevenly spaced leaflets is more tender and dies back around 30F. Even the folaige is more tender and often shows burn below around 37-38F. This was formerly known as P. kuhlli but has been recently lumped into P. coronata.

Guassia maya surprisingly handles some cold but no frost. It gets killed below about 27F.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

So would this be the evenly spaced leaflets?  The ones sold to me as kuhlii still have bifid leaves so I can't compare the two. 

image.jpeg

And what is a Pinanga kontumensis? Zone 9a ????  http://www.trebrown.com/palms_arecaceae.php

So much different names with some chance of thriving in cooler climates.....

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

6 hours ago, Alberto said:

And what is a Pinanga kontumensis? Zone 9a ????  http://www.trebrown.com/palms_arecaceae.php

So much different names with some chance of thriving in cooler climates.....

That list is far from accurate. All palms on that list are actually 1 USDA zone less hardy in reality.

Soo USDA 8b on that list is USDA 9a in reality, USDA 9a is 9b, and USDA 9b is USDA 10a ect..

Basically every palm on that list is actually more cold sensitive than stated on that list.

7 minutes ago, Cikas said:

That list is far from accurate. All palms on that list are actually 1 USDA zone less hardy in reality.

Soo USDA 8b on that list is USDA 9a in reality, USDA 9a is 9b, and USDA 9b is USDA 10a ect..

Basically every palm on that list is actually more cold sensitive than stated on that list.

I think it's more nuanced than that.  Some are clearly accurate (e.g. A. cunninghamiana is a pretty bulletproof 9b palm).

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37