IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Roystonea oleracea in Santana California

DoomsDave

Took these shots of a big ollie in the center of town.

note three infructescenses!

image.thumb.jpeg.fc64dbcf9fd3a75ba10e3ecimage.thumb.jpeg.05311e03bf76f03618a6be8image.thumb.jpeg.cc648e4936c16b6a6c174da

• Upvote 5

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'll need to get close and see the seed shape. I understand that ollies have globose - spherical - seeds, instead of the elongated ones in a regia.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

In the county seat of the big OC put on your shoes . . . .

It is magnificent!

The only one that size I know of in LA/OC.

It must be well watered for a Royal to look that good in dry S. Cali.  I wonder if the seeds will be viable?

That is a 'Snodger' Dave :D............They are a very common palm in the Queensland tropics but I still love their majesty.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Gorgeous specimen! Super tall, I wonder how old it is?

Palos Verdes Estates - coastal Los Angeles - 33°45'N 118°24'W

On a cliff, 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Zone 10b - Sunset zone 24

The heat island effect of the concrete building must help the microclimate a bit, wouldn't you say? South facing concrete wall helps?

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

17 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

Very nice looking palm!:greenthumb:

She's loaded! :drool:

12 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

It must be well watered for a Royal to look that good in dry S. Cali.  I wonder if the seeds will be viable?

I'm going to make it my mission to find out! Roar on down there this weekend and see if seeds can be harvested.

10 hours ago, Tropicgardener said:

That is a 'Snodger' Dave :D............They are a very common palm in the Queensland tropics but I still love their majesty.

"Snodger?" Another cool Australianism? :)

10 hours ago, Panamajack said:

Gorgeous specimen! Super tall, I wonder how old it is?

Based on my own specimens, I'd say about 20 years.

10 hours ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

The heat island effect of the concrete building must help the microclimate a bit, wouldn't you say? South facing concrete wall helps?

Most definitely. Santa Ana is also an exceptionally warm place, interestingly enough.

50 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

I'm going to make it my mission to find out! Roar on down there this weekend and see if seeds can be harvested.

"Snodger?" Another cool Australianism? :)

Based on my own specimens, I'd say about 20 years.

Most definitely. Santa Ana is also an exceptionally warm place, interestingly enough.

Hey Dave,

I wouldn't mind having a few of those seeds if they are viable.  By the way, you said that Santa Ana is an exceptionally warm place.  Do you think it is warm enough for a Coconut Palm to make it there, especially one of the more cold hardy tall varieties planted on the south or west side of a building?

John

26 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Hey Dave,

I wouldn't mind having a few of those seeds if they are viable.  By the way, you said that Santa Ana is an exceptionally warm place.  Do you think it is warm enough for a Coconut Palm to make it there, especially one of the more cold hardy tall varieties planted on the south or west side of a building?

John

I doubt a coconut has a prayer in Santana. We have a long cool season, which is even worse than the odd freeze  you guys get. The only place a coconut will make it here so far as is known, would be in the low desert in Palm Springs.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

I doubt a coconut has a prayer in Santana. We have a long cool season, which is even worse than the odd freeze  you guys get. The only place a coconut will make it here so far as is known, would be in the low desert in Palm Springs.

Yeah, just wishful thinking I guess.  We do have a lot more winter time warmth over here.  We hit a record high of 88F on Sunday, breaking the old record of 85F.

On 2/2/2016, 9:33:09, DoomsDave said:

Took these shots of a big ollie in the center of town.

note three infructescenses!

image.thumb.jpeg.fc64dbcf9fd3a75ba10e3ecimage.thumb.jpeg.05311e03bf76f03618a6be8image.thumb.jpeg.cc648e4936c16b6a6c174da

Dave, How sure are you that it's 100%  Roystonea oleracea ? Did the owner tell you where the palm/seed originated from? 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Josh-O said:

Dave, How sure are you that it's 100%  Roystonea oleracea ? Did the owner tell you where the palm/seed originated from? 

I remember Dave posting about this same palm a while back. It was confirmed to be an ollie by at least one if not several palmtalk members. 

I've been schooled on how to properly id these guys several times already but I still have a hard time with them anyways.:blink::blink::blink:

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

I remember Dave posting about this same palm a while back. It was confirmed to be an ollie by at least one if not several palmtalk members. 

I've been schooled on how to properly id these guys several times already but I still have a hard time with them anyways.:blink::blink::blink:

I'm in the same club. Just when I think I'm right I'm wrong...lol:lol:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

21 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

The only two I am able to tell apart now are the elatas and regias, which I am convinced are still separate Roystoneas, since the elatas seem to grow taller, have thinner trunks and sometimes have a slight bent in the middle or top of the trunk.