IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lanonia (Licuala) dasiantha

Alberto

I grew a batch of seeds (from China) of his relatively cold hardy species. They grew well in pots in deep shade of the forest. I ´d like to plant out some of the bigger seedlings. What do they prefer? Half shady conditions,bright shade or full shade? Can they handle full sun? Show me please your palms!

DSCN8510.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

This  first pic in Palmpedia is very ilustrative.(Clayton York´s Garden, Utopia Palms & Cycads, Queensland, Australia) It seems a bigger palm I had first thought and the spot where it grows looks very bright . http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Lanonia_dasyanthaIt 

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Alberto, I planted about a dozen of these in the garden last Fall.  They are getting filtered light during the Winter, and will be getting about 4 hours of full Sun in the Summer.  It is actually the opposite of what I want, but it is, what it is. They have not seen the strong Sun yet.  I have lots of them in containers growing in filtered light.  They seem to like it.  I got a lot of germinated seed from Gary in China, but they all damped off because I was growing them in the dead of Winter.  I highly recommend Gary though.  I planted them thick to make a statement when full grown.  I love the mottled leaves.

DSCN3562.JPG

DSCN3563.JPG

DSCN3564.JPG

DSCN3565.JPG

DSCN3566.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Wow! This mass planting will look stunning in a few years! How old are yours?

2 hours ago, Alberto said:

I grew a batch of seeds (from China) of his relatively cold hardy species. They grew well in pots in deep shade of the forest. I ´d like to plant out some of the bigger seedlings. What do they prefer? Half shady conditions,bright shade or full shade? Can they handle full sun? Show me please your palms!

DSCN8510.JPG

good idea, one bottle of Champagne every 10 palms planted; I join the party :)

• Upvote 3

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

This is L. fordiana from Jeff Marcus that was put in the ground about 6 months ago.

IMG_0158.JPG

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, doranakandawatta said:

In a short time we would became alcoholic palm nuts! :P

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, doranakandawatta said:

Wonder how much planting would get done after the first 10 palms!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Wonder how much planting would get done after the first 10 palms!

Better to stick with 10 palms per day.....

I read that according Pete :

• "Lanonia dasyantha are good looking palms all year.... actually they are pretty perfect looking palms, they always beam with health and retain great shape and colour. The closest is in this pic is a happy twin and the back one is a rampant clumper..btw..the darker their environs, the more mottle and colour..Pete" Photo by Pete

•  

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Lanonia_dasyantha

Who also saw this characteristic: "the darker the enviroment , the more mottle and colour"?

• Upvote 1

Grown this on from a tiny seedling . Planted out about 18 months ago and done very well .

This superbly marked leaf grown in constant shade pic taken mid winter last year.

86.thumb.jpg.8e39c5e66dc0378c09a0140a76d

• Upvote 2

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

It has grown another leaf and currently has a big spike coming .

Noticed 3 little suckers around base .

mottle detail

P1020956.JPG

P1020958.JPG

• Upvote 2

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Nice photos guys, nice little palm although I wouldn't mind having some as large as the ones in Australia. Yikes!

I've got four smaller ones, but they have great mottling at such a young age. Medium shade and no direct sun ever. 

I could use more. 

Tim

P1000595.jpg

P1000596.jpg

P1000597.jpg

P1000599.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

For me, I can't grow mapu in the ground. Dasayantha is a breeze and for the look you get, I don't know why so many people mess with the mapu in South Florida--this is the palm you grow. Unless you are Dr. Block, at Block Botanical Gardens... there seem to be few horticultural limits in that magical place.  :greenthumb:

I agree andrew, I call it my mapu substitute. I have a great looking mapu in a pot but would never dream of putting it in the ground. Dasyantha seems to be a breeze so far. A bunch more seedlings in the shade house to go in the ground in time, never have any issues with them.

Dominic

Beautiful pictures!
I have some 1 year old seedlings that I got as sprouted seeds from Gary in China aswell..

Love those leaves..:D

Edited by Edo

Thanks for the replies and wonderfull pictures!

• 1 year later...

Does Lanonia requires the same shade or half-shade conditions like L. mapu? 

We already have L. mapu

P1060603.thumb.JPG.b87b69ae66dd372f65277

and just start with Lanonia dasiantha seedlings.

P1060655.thumb.JPG.c825ba518a01c46044bbf

Looking forward to seeing them grow !

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

• 2 years later...

Some of my L. dasysanthas. Slow but growing and one forming offshoots.

IMG_20200519_111046.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

IMG_20200519_111318.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hard to believe that it's been four years since Alberto started this thread. 

I just took some shots of the same L. dasyantha that I posted earlier in this thread and they have continued to thrive. They've also grown quite a bit, getting much 

larger than I expected and still growing. Mottling varies from plant to plant, some spectacular and some not so much.

Sometime back, Pete from Australia, had antidotal evidence that fertilizing decreased the mottling, so as a result, I've not fertilized in years. That may change as some are

starting to look a bit washed out with a lighter color change. I'll give some of them a bit of juice and see what happens. 

Tim

P1090624.jpg

P1090625.jpg

P1090626.jpg

P1090627.jpg

P1090628.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii