IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea x parajubaea or parajubaea x jubaea

corsafafa

• 1 month later...

I think we already came to the conclusion earlier in this thread...until proven otherwise, I don't believe this hybrid exists in either direction.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

9 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Ben, you said you had one...

Parajubaea x Jubaea?  If I said that, I was confused as to what we were talking about.  I don't believe this hybrid exists.  

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

This thread has been fun to read lol

Unless I missed something, I don't think Ben has said he has one of the parajubaea x jubaea hybrids. 

On 2/6/2016, 5:50:26, Ben in Norcal said:

I have never heard of this hybrid existing.

On 2/7/2016, 4:10:04, Ben in Norcal said:

I did ask Patric if he has ever done a Jubaea x Parajubaea, and he said NO.  It has not been possible/they have never been viable.  He mentioned he thinks he has done the reverse (Parajubaea x Jubaea) - but he is growing the seedlings out to make sure they are what he thinks.

On 2/13/2016, 6:22:35, Ben in Norcal said:

Hi guys - if these hybrids exist, I'd like to know who made them.  Patric has said JxP has not been possible, and while he believes he has done PxJ, he has not yet released any.  So neither of these hybrids have come out from Patric as yet.

On 5/4/2016, 7:33:50, Ben in Norcal said:

I'd love to see those!  I wonder if they were, in fact, hybrids.

24 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I think we already came to the conclusion earlier in this thread...until proven otherwise, I don't believe this hybrid exists in either direction.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Well then what is this photo you sent me???

2moqpo0.jpg

That is one funny looking tree. :D

• Upvote 1

Carl

Vista, CA

1 hour ago, Laaz said:

2moqpo0.jpg

Ha ha ha - someone has time to kill over the holidays, apparently. :D

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

Update: Patric has informed me that he has, indeed, done PJC x J, in that direction.  No hybrid vigor, much like a PJC.  Not sure if there are any available however.

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

The "Photo-shopped" photo is actually less wacky than:

1. @Josh-O stating that he owned hybrids which he didn't buy

or

2. @Josh-O not proving he did buy them by posting pictures of the tags and/or the hybrid palms he claimed he bought under the guise of false pretense of the vendor 

@Sandy Loam if either of the above actions were taken months ago, this would have been a short thread with no "drama" involved. Thanks for pointing this out.

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 71°, Lo 51° - cloudy

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

13 minutes ago, Tom in Tucson said:

The "Photo-shopped" photo is actually less wacky than:

1. @Josh-O stating that he owned hybrids which he didn't buy

or

2. @Josh-O not proving he did buy them by posting pictures of the tags and/or the hybrid palms he claimed he bought under the guise of false pretense of the vendor 

@Sandy Loam if either of the above actions were taken months ago, this would have been a short thread with no "drama" involved. Thanks for pointing this out.

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 71°, Lo 51° - cloudy

get over it tom

Sandy loam nailed it!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 12/27/2016, 9:24:11, Laaz said:

2moqpo0.jpg

sheer awesomeness!!

looks just like mine:floor:

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

11 hours ago, Josh-O said:

get over it tom

Sandy loam nailed it!!

I predicted this exact exchange with Todd/Laaz.  Ha ha ha!

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

That's preposterous, Tom.  It would be uncharacteristic of Josh-O to ever post photos on PalmTalk. 

• Upvote 3

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread up so I can add pictures of my Parajubaea x Jubaea, acquired today.

Ben Rogers

Ben this looks very different than usual hybrids around! 

For sure will turn into enormous palm :wub: kinda saying im ready to go in the ground :D

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Kenarr09 said:

Ben this looks very different than usual hybrids around! 

For sure will turn into enormous palm :wub: kinda saying im ready to go in the ground :D

Yes, should be interesting to see how this one develops!  I do need to get it in the ground yet this year; no concerns with hardiness obviously.  The question is where!  I am sooooo out of space and lacking for sun!

Ben Rogers

46 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Yes, should be interesting to see how this one develops!  I do need to get it in the ground yet this year; no concerns with hardiness obviously.  The question is where!  I am sooooo out of space and lacking for sun!

MAKE                              SPACE           :drool:

• Upvote 1

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

Very promising cross. 

Regarding the "fake" photo, this is actually a "real" jubaea in a famous palm garden on the french riviera, that died recently after being infected with red palm weevil. Obviously the pic was taken when it was already dying.. 

On 8/19/2018, 5:27:17, Ben in Norcal said:

80C929F5-0264-4990-9535-65C525D02CC9.jpeg

14757A92-F4AB-43C1-A709-34FA64946F32.jpeg

The obvious questions:

How many does Patric(k) have for sale?

What sizes and prices does Patric(k) offer?

When will he update his list?

Who already owns this hybrid, and for how long?

How does yours compare to the ones @Josh-O owns?

Hi 97°, Lo 76°

11 hours ago, Tom in Tucson said:

The obvious questions:

Hi 97°, Lo 76°

Can't really answer most of those, Tom, you'd need to talk to the man himself.  I know Patric has one of these in ground, but not sure who else does.  Certainly not more than a handful of people as Patric has done very few of these, so I am very lucky!  I am not sure if he has any more for sale (he mentioned this to me as quite a special plant, pricey, and I was all over it like flies on...!

I have NO idea where I am going to put this...I am so out of space!

Ben Rogers

57 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Can't really answer most of those, Tom, you'd need to talk to the man himself.  I know Patric has one of these in ground, but not sure who else does.  Certainly not more than a handful of people as Patric has done very few of these, so I am very lucky!  I am not sure if he has any more for sale (he mentioned this to me as quite a special plant, pricey, and I was all over it like flies on...!

I have NO idea where I am going to put this...I am so out of space!

You can bring it to my place.  I'l grow it for you. In the ground. At my place.:floor:

• Upvote 1

More intel from Patric...

He says he has made around 5 of these crosses definitively.  That's it.  So I have one of 5, at least from him.  He is hopeful for another batch of 15 that is growing out, but he is not sure if they are what he hopes they are yet.  He's hopeful these can be sold in the fall.

He has also done PJCxBJ, he says, so I told him I need that as well! :D

• Upvote 3

Ben Rogers

Wow, Ben. You are PalmTalk's true line of communication with Patric, the master hybridizer.  So many people have mentioned that they can't get him to respond to emails at the coolhybrids email address.  Thanks for keeping us updated.  I don't know what hybrid-seekers in California and Florida would do without him. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/20/2018, 8:15:00, Ben in Norcal said:

Do consider space . . . those are spacey palms, as I've found.

Which parajube is the jube crossed with?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

Wow, Ben. You are PalmTalk's true line of communication with Patric, the master hybridizer.  So many people have mentioned that they can't get him to respond to emails at the coolhybrids email address.  Thanks for keeping us updated.  I don't know what hybrid-seekers in California and Florida would do without him. 

It helps that he wants pollen from me on a regular basis. LOL. He may be coming by again this weekend if I have any new spathes open, so will let you know if I hear anything else...or acquire anything else. He he he

Ben Rogers

3 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Do consider space . . . those are spacey palms, as I've found.

Which parajube is the jube crossed with?

P. cocoides, Dave.

Ben Rogers

On 8/21/2018, 10:28:50, Tom in Tucson said:

The obvious questions:

Hi 97°, Lo 76°

Why don't you call Patric and ask him directly tom??

Sunset zone 24

3 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Why don't you call Patric and ask him directly tom??

I thought Ben might know, but you should know the answer to the last question:

"How does yours compare to the ones @Josh-O owns?"

Why not e-mail instead?

Hi 98°, Lo 74°

Edited by Tom in Tucson

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, corsafafa said:

Do you think the 2 plants (PJC x J and PJC x BJ)'ll be different??? rusticity?

Ben your PJC x J is in the ground now?

Yep, in ground, not much growth as yet of course.

Ben Rogers

Ben, I'm glad that you managed to find a sunny space to plant it.  I can't wait to see what it starts to look like in the years ahead.  Please post a growth photo once every year or two, if possible.  

Patric is such a pioneer.  I can't believe that so few people have developed his rare and phenomenal hybrids in the past ---- at least for commercial purposes.  Mule palms are the only hybrid that has "taken off" to any extent here in Florida, but there are so many other possibilities out there (some of which are resistant to Fusarium Wilt, unlike mule palms).

Parajubaea Cocoides x Jubaea Chilienses likely would not appreciate a Florida/Southeastern hot, humid climate, but some of Patric's other hybrids certainly would.  

When I sent Patric a cheque, I recall noting that his address really quite far north in California (somewhere between Oregon and San Francisco).  There must be some serious cold weather up there, and yet his hybrids obviously can all handle it.    

• Upvote 1

Yes, Patric is well north of the Bay Area - much much colder than here, which is what has prompted many of his activities!

Ben Rogers

• 3 weeks later...

This is Parajubaea Cocoides x Jubaea from Patric how it looks like Potgrown in Germany. Summer Sun/half shade, Winter indoor with extra light. Don't remeber exactly, think I got it  October 2016 as seedling wirth 3 leaves. I am very happy Patric sent it to me. He is doing great work.

Oliver

WP_20181103_14_14_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20181103_14_14_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20181103_14_14_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20181103_14_15_11_Pro.jpg

WP_20181103_14_15_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20181103_14_16_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20181103_14_16_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20181103_14_16_31_Pro.jpg

WP_20181103_14_16_41_Pro.jpg

WP_20181103_14_17_07_Pro.jpg

WP_20181103_14_17_15_Pro.jpg