Sign in to follow this  
Funkthulhu

On Light, or the lack thereof

Funkthulhu

As can be expected for Nebraska, nothing I have is in the ground, just pots.  (and now I'm in an apartment again, so yeah...)

Anyway, what palm species of yours seem to do well in low-light environments?  I'm thinking specifically offices, bedrooms, etc.  No grow-lights, and maybe not even near a window.

I've got space I can fill, but I'm afraid putting palms in some of these nooks would be a death-knell due to lack of direct window sun or at least intense light.

Questions? Comments? Short stories?

Kai

My very first choice would be Lytocaryum weddelianum. It does great as an interior palm for me. I have one on a north facing window, so not much light and fulltime shade and it's growing steadily. With even less light, the smaller Chamaedorea species are a good choice. I have several metallica's, tuerckheimii, elegans, tepejilote, neurochlamys, ...all in very dark places. Not even near a window and they do just great. It appears to be exactly what they want.

• Upvote 2

Pal Meir

I was just intending writing the same things as Kai: Lyto weddell (!!!) :wub: and most Chamaedorea spp you can keep indoors for decades, even if they get only light of "normal" lamps like reading lamps etc.

• Upvote 1

Kai
2 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

I was just intending writing the same things as Kai: Lyto weddell (!!!) :wub: and most Chamaedorea spp you can keep indoors for decades, even if they get only light of "normal" lamps like reading lamps etc.

We think alike Pal!

Pal Meir

Another genus I’ve forgotten to mention is Rhapis. Especially the delicate Rh. micrantha is most suited to indoor cultivation. Here an example of an exemplar, grown up from seed for 11 years inside a living room:

56afdc8e94efe_Rhapismicrantha2015-11-17P

• Upvote 1

Hamal

Another species that can handle low light (and low humidity) would be Howea forsteriana.

• Upvote 1

Funkthulhu

Thanks everybody, these are great suggestions.

Kai
On 1-2-2016 23:31:39, Pal Meir said:

Another genus I’ve forgotten to mention is Rhapis. Especially the delicate Rh. micrantha is most suited to indoor cultivation. Here an example of an exemplar, grown up from seed for 11 years inside a living room:

Veeeeery nice!

DoomsDave

Hmm.

I hate those ground floor apartments, where voyeurs leer in through your window 24/7, unless you keep blackout curtains up. So it seems.

The more natural light the better; if it's just a little, give 'em that if you can.

Let us know how they grow!

Funkthulhu

Dave, I just posted this in Shaeffer's thread, but I think everything is doing as well or better than last year.  Previously, I was only able to over-winter in a windowless basement with grow lights.  Now I have the lights and the windows, even if they do mostly face North.  What I'd really like is if I could disperse some lower-light species through the apartment without worry that they'll croak off without the more intense light.

As for Peeping Toms I'm up on the 2nd floor, so they'd have to be really creative to sneak a peak.  

Hammer

I believe someone on here suggested Hyophorbe indica as a good indoor grower.

Palm Tree Jim
On 2/1/2016, 2:31:39, Pal Meir said:

Rhapis do well indoors.

DoomsDave
On 2/3/2016, 1:23:22, Funkthulhu said:

Dave, I just posted this in Shaeffer's thread, but I think everything is doing as well or better than last year.  Previously, I was only able to over-winter in a windowless basement with grow lights.  Now I have the lights and the windows, even if they do mostly face North.  What I'd really like is if I could disperse some lower-light species through the apartment without worry that they'll croak off without the more intense light.

As for Peeping Toms I'm up on the 2nd floor, so they'd have to be really creative to sneak a peak.  

EEK!

An 800 pound Voyeur!

Even northern natural light is far superior to anything we humans can substitute. That full solar spectrum charges up the chlorophyll like nothing else.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Droid
      By Droid
      Hello. I'm a new joiner, its been a month or two since then. I haven't tried repotting a palm but I read a couple of articles saying that it can kill the plant. I plotted my palm 5 years ago on soda bottle (1.5L / 50 oz), thinking of slowing its growth but I don't know if I'm just killing it instead.
      Any suggestions what to do to avoid fraying pronds?

• Funkthulhu
      By Funkthulhu
      Playing around with some lists.  Made this one of all my pots in house.  Aside from some randos I picked up in Florida and got to sprout, I have identified most all of them! Granted, I had to go back through a bunch of old message and figure out what the heck @DoomsDave and others have mailed to me over the years.  But even the store-boughts are not guarantees until you see how they look when they get older.  Not a long list, but pretty good for this hobbyist and his little shared ranch.
      Adonidia merrillii
      Agave americana
      Aloe rubroviolacea(?)
      Aloe noideaensis
      Alpinia galanga
      Ananas comosus
      Archontophoenix tuckerii (2)
      Caryota mitis (fishtail)
      Chamaedorea cataractarem (big spread)
      Chamaedorea costaricana (bamboo-looking thin palm)
      Chamaedorea elegans
      Chamaedorea radicalis
      Citrus x sinensis (blood orange, maybe meyer lemon? 5 years old, flower soon?)
      Coccoloba uvifera (sea grape)
      Codiaeum veriegatum (croton)
      Curcuma longa
      Cycas revoluta
      Dracaena deremensis
      Dypsis lutescens(90% sure?)
      Dypsis plumosa (3 seedlings w/buried pot)
      Echeveria derenbergii(??)
      Echeveria wtf-ia
      Phoenix roebelenii
      Ravenea rivularis
      Trithrinax brasiliensis var acanthacoma (in the tiki-sign pot)
      Veitchia arecina(?)
      Zingiber officinale
      Still waiting on positive ID for some of those Florida randos; one of which has nearly 5 foot fronds and I think is a brand of cane palm?  But no trunk yet and recovering from a die-back, so I'm not ready to call it...  (also I have no clue what I'm doing)  There's also a lot of "stuff I was eating" like the ginger, citrus seeds, etc. that just got planted at some point.
      Some of the bigger pots like the succulents, Majesty, cycad, and pygmy date go outside in the summer.  But most of these are always indoors, and now that I have lots of windows I don't even need grow lights.  I'm not going to say they're all super healthy and loving the dry indoor Nebraska winter, but they're all still alive (so far).
      What do you have?
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Today warmed up for the first time in over a week to nearly 80F. All my container palms from the lanai have been trapped inside since Christmas Eve and starting to show the effects of a dark, dry house. Before I let them free I swept and pressure sprayed the lanai for the first time in nearly a year to get rid of grime and spilled soil. Then put out all the palms and gave them a gentle shower and watering. Finally, I took the following photos, their last for 2020.
      Container Palms on Lanai, Cape Coral, FL, Dec. 2020

• Funkthulhu
      By Funkthulhu
      I received some seed from @DoomsDave last year and even after moving and cats and everything else, I still have two seedlings left.  They're a deep green, and seem very healthy.  
      However!  In giving them a deep soak today I noticed that there are new tiny little spears coming up from the edge of the stem, not the center...  Then I did some research to find that C. mitis is a Tillering palm!  
      So, now I'm a bit worried.  They're in a rather small pot right now, and they only have 3 or 4 leaves each.  How big of a pot do I need for these?  Or, more importantly, how deep to accommodate the tillering of this species?  (while we're at it, what soil composition do they prefer, as I assume I'll be repotting?) 
      Cheers!

• Funkthulhu
      By Funkthulhu
      I'm moving again.  Finally back into a house, not an apartment, with floor to ceiling windows on the East side, smaller high windows elsewhere.  However, I'm now going to be sharing space with my beloved.  As much as she would probably let me, I can't bring myself to hoard all of our space with palm trees.  I have all that space in front of East windows, but I also have to take into account the big pots outside that will need to come inside in the next couple months.  
      I have a number of "winners", like my oldest palms, my dwarf date, my wild collected Veitchia, and several others that are happy and healthy.  However, I also have about a dozen pots of seedlings in various states of development, containers of unsprouted seeds, and just rando that has potential but hasn't shown any initiative.  How do you choose?  There isn't enough room for everything, some of this HAS to go!  I've always had a mind-set of "if you live, I'll make space for you", but I seem to be hitting a wall against that.  
      /rant, thanks for reading, any advice or personal anecdotes would be appreciated.