IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Trachycarpus nanus

Edo

Hi,

Long time lurker on palmtalk. I adore palms.
Just wanted to share some pictures of my Trachycarpus nanus for my first post here..

From seeds I sowed in may 2011 (bought from europalms.be) After germination they have always lived outside unprotected in my garden in the Netherlands:
I think their fresh-green color stands out nicely against the Cocoa Shell Mulch.

20160125_153415_HDR.jpg

With a 33cl cola can for scale:

20160125_145138_HDR.jpg20160125_145101_HDR.jpg

And 2 plants I didnt want to seperate:

20160125_153350_HDR.jpg

20160125_153357_HDR.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Edo
  • Upvote 4

Very nice pictures and a very rare or at least hard to get species! I have spent almost two years looking for seeds and hopefully found some last summer. I guess I will know in a few years whether they are genuine T. nanus.

Frank

Thanks!

I plan on isolating them from other pollen when they start flowering and producing my own pure nanus seeds. But that will probably be a couple more years :) 

They grow slowww...

Nice plants! They like somewhat alkaline soil and will benefit from the slowly decomposing shells I think.

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see them reach reproductive age.  Good bluish color and long leaflets too.  How old are they and are they from RPS seed?  I had 7 of 100 germinate, two of which are working on a trunk so probably not nanus, leaving 5 to flower in the next few years and hopefully a male and female.  Not the greatest germination but I don't fault anyone.  It's just the nature of the wonky logistics of getting rare species from far corners of the world.  Nanus seed has not been back on the availability list for a few years now. 

Hopefully, you'll distribute those so there will one day be more domestic plants producing seed.  Of course, if your too busy for germinating, and would prefer to sell your excess seed, I suppose, I might be able to find the extra time for such an endeavor.  :mrlooney:  In other words, if a line is forming.........:innocent::drool::D

I have two of them and they have been in the ground for about 15 years.  Lowest temp they have experienced:  13F (no damage or stress at that low).  Highest temp:  106F (they didn't like it;  they need lots of water when it's that hot). Usually I just let the seed fall on the ground, but I haven't seen any babies coming up.  I have given seed away and people said they germinated just fine for them.  Next October I'll collect the seed and tell people when they're ready for distribution.  Keep in touch!. By the way, I have seen pictures of T. nanus in habitat and they had little trunks.

My place:

Backyard2007.jpg

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Hey Joe, I still have a few T. nanus from seeds off of your palm.  One died a few years ago here in Smyrna after a cold winter, but I still have three in Gainesville.  Still waiting on them to flower!  

Joseph, thanks in advance for helping the seeds get around.  The taller two I have were noticeably above the soil line beginning at about 1 gal size, but still slow growing and not shooting up fast, relative to a fortunei.  Thinking about how pines have their male cones higher on the tree than the females for better pollination, I wondered if maybe my taller "nanus" were going to be males.  Do you have a picture of your male nanus? 

Another possibility, maybe once in awhile this normally subterranean species bottoms out on a buried rock and having no other direction to grow, pushes up a trunk.  Which would probably mean my two tall ones might not be nanus.  Will wait and see.