IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

La Habra California USA

DoomsDave

(Gileno Machado @ Apr. 09 2007,23:40)

Viva Dave and the La Habra...

Hey amigo I'll have to confess something: in the old board your nick was Dave La La Ha Bra Ca and at first I used to confuse you with Kylecawazafla. I know he uses the initials of the places he has lived (Calif, Washington, South Africa, Florida) and then I thought Dave has been to Los Angeles, Habana, Brazil and Canada(?). :P

It is great to check your nice neighborhood but most of these homes need palm ghost plantings... :;):  Now when are you going to show us your Royals and Dypsis?

I love chinese too, so next time in LA we'll have to fight that Supreme Dragon together on our way back from Huntington, ok?

Gileno!

The Supe Drag is nowhere near the Big H!

But, if you wanna go, say the word, and I'll take you there, or at least lead the way.  Food's cheap, but so good you wanna slap your mama . . . ("why din't YOU cook for us kids like that???")

On the other hand, there's Monterey Park near the Big H, and enough food for me and your son . . . caps and all . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's my fave pharmacy, I mean, Seven Eleven where I get regular doses of medication I mean . . .

post-208-1176183757_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's a pic of Cypress street, with old queens (palms!) on the left

post-208-1176184018_thumb.jpg

Some nice King palms at some side street near Cypress, down the street from my dive, I NEVER take these for granted . . . .

post-208-1176184142_thumb.jpg

Good night, John Boy!

I swear!  This is the Waltons' house . . .

Down Cypress from my place, Fred's driven by there . . .

post-208-1176184309_thumb.jpg

A motel near my place, not the Ritz . . .

This ain't BH  90210

post-208-1176184371_thumb.jpg

Wanna taco al carbon?  This is where to go, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

EXCEPT for May 1, 2006, on the day of the protest . . .

I camped out and protested!

post-208-1176184460_thumb.jpg

Here's a tract on the hill above me, that, I'm sure was spared the horra' of the Big Assed Freeze of 2007

post-208-1176184515_thumb.jpg

And another

post-208-1176184561_thumb.jpg

And another

post-208-1176184589_thumb.jpg

Down the hill, back to the city, and modest houses, for a mere -- 400 grand -- I'm not joking, this might be too little.

yow

post-208-1176184658_thumb.jpg

Another

post-208-1176184681_thumb.jpg

Another.

An alley, but still modest

post-208-1176184714_thumb.jpg

Another

post-208-1176184738_thumb.jpg

And yet another

post-208-1176184766_thumb.jpg

Oy!

Churches!  Koreans!  They go together!  Who knew?

post-208-1176184994_thumb.jpg

A view of the church

From the parking lot, you can see Catalina on a (too dang rare-assed) clear day . . .

dave

post-208-1176185052_thumb.jpg

A view in the Valley (HO-H0-HO!) Green Giant, I mean La Habra Heights.

Seriously

post-208-1176185196_thumb.jpg

Dear Dave  :)

nice coverage of that entire area & its landmarks..

and what time is this,since the stills mostly do

not have any people moving around.and looks

very dim lit.is it due to your car's tinted glasses or

as our members pointed out was it about to rain ?

the Bogainvilla,washy's & some CIDP bowled me over_

thanks man.  :)

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Lots of Queens !  Thanks for the tour, Dave.

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Nice Kings, should be planted more.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Dave, it looks amazingly like every 30-to-40-year-old So Cal neighborhood from Oxnard to El Cajon, from Westminster to San Bernadino. Thanks for the honesty of the tour, which the cloud cover only intensifies.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(osideterry @ Apr. 10 2007,11:25)

Dave, it looks amazingly like every 30-to-40-year-old So Cal neighborhood from Oxnard to El Cajon, from Westminster to San Bernadino. Thanks for the honesty of the tour, which the cloud cover only intensifies.

I figured this wouldn't be of much interest to people from So-Cal, who do make up a large part of the Board.

However, I thought people elsewhere would find it interesting enough to be inspired to do their own.

How about it?  Neo?  Gileno?  Kris?

DK did it, and it rocked . . .

Kris, yeah, it was a cloudy day, lousy weather for Easter -- usually the sun's out and it's warm but not that day . . . .

dave

Dave,

I think your idea of posting photos from our neighborhoods is very cool. Thanks for sharing your bit of SoCal.

I would post photos from my unique little San Franciscoesque neighborhood but there would be no palms in the pictures.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

I like your idea too. Even within the US, things are very diverse.

I'm always up for learning new things!

(JakeK @ Apr. 11 2007,20:56)

Dave,

I think your idea of posting photos from our neighborhoods is very cool. Thanks for sharing your bit of SoCal.

I would post photos from my unique little San Franciscoesque neighborhood but there would be no palms in the pictures.

Would that be something-Rhine?  Under the big-assed bridge?

Hmm.  Bet you can get a palm pic in there somewhere, maybe in a shop window . . .

I say post it!

dave

Dave

Seeing all the home shows on TV, including Flip That House, of houses in Cal and now your photos, I feel like I know the area!   Interesting stuff besides the palms.  

Thanks for the photo tour.

Do you take people tours?   I'm serious.   I plan to be out there end of this month.....can't wait to see some BIG jubs!

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Dave - thanks for the tour of your area. Quite extensive coverage. Naturally the eateries are all important :D

How are you doing with the winds?

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Dave,

I am glad you got your digital camera out and drove around.  Thanks for the shots of your area.  I think that it is a great idea for people to post glimpses of life where they hang out.  I would say with or without palms.  After all this is travel log.  Not that palms won't appear, they are present in most places where people live.  But, the environment human and natural where the palms inhabit.  I am going to start another thread soon called Amazon Life.  It is fun to capture everyday scenes from work, play, adventure, and fun.  

I also got the urge to eat some Chinese food, but unfortunately here in Boa Vista, Roraima where I am tonight there is only Japanese.  But, I still might go that way

Thanks again for the idea Dave.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Nice area.  I pictured it as being more crowded with smaller lots, narrower streets, more traffic, taller buildings, and smaller parking lots.  It is interesting that you were able to take some pictures as if they were not through the eyes of a palm lover.  

I appreciate your attempt at showing not only the extravagant mansions; the house with the tarp-for-the-garage-door particularly sticks in my mind. I am surprised to see something like that in such an expensive part of the country.  There are some neighborhoods in my area where that type of thing is the norm.  I have seen recliners and couches kept in the front yard, refrigerators on the front porch, and one house in particular where the ductwork for the central a/c was run on top of the roof instead of in the attic.  Oh, but this guy was top of the line; most of the other houses on that block probably still had window units.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

Dave,

One big difference between here and there (I mean most of the USA) is that you notice a lack of people on the streets.  Well, I would say people and dogs, we have one hell of a lot of dogs on the streets.  My kids always notice this when the come visit from South Florida.  Of course there are some reasons for this, like most Americans have cars, and most Brazilians do not.   Thanks again for the pictures.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Most of the CA landscape photos are pretty dull. I expected to see alot more palms.

Los Niños y Los Borrachos siempre dicen la verdad.

Dave,

Thanks for the opportunity to take the Nova out for a virtual drive through La Habra.  It's always nice to see new places even if it's an ordinary neighborhood in the US.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

• 4 weeks later...

(surgeon83 @ Apr. 17 2007,19:49)

Nice area.  I pictured it as being more crowded with smaller lots, narrower streets, more traffic, taller buildings, and smaller parking lots.  It is interesting that you were able to take some pictures as if they were not through the eyes of a palm lover.  

I appreciate your attempt at showing not only the extravagant mansions; the house with the tarp-for-the-garage-door particularly sticks in my mind. I am surprised to see something like that in such an expensive part of the country.  There are some neighborhoods in my area where that type of thing is the norm.  I have seen recliners and couches kept in the front yard, refrigerators on the front porch, and one house in particular where the ductwork for the central a/c was run on top of the roof instead of in the attic.  Oh, but this guy was top of the line; most of the other houses on that block probably still had window units.

You'd be surprised at how many houses have tarps for roofs, etc.

These are, mind you, $400K houses, and I'm NOT jokin . . .

dave

(amazondk @ Apr. 16 2007,20:11)

Dave,

I am glad you got your digital camera out and drove around.  Thanks for the shots of your area.  I think that it is a great idea for people to post glimpses of life where they hang out.  I would say with or without palms.  After all this is travel log.  Not that palms won't appear, they are present in most places where people live.  But, the environment human and natural where the palms inhabit.  I am going to start another thread soon called Amazon Life.  It is fun to capture everyday scenes from work, play, adventure, and fun.  

I also got the urge to eat some Chinese food, but unfortunately here in Boa Vista, Roraima where I am tonight there is only Japanese.  But, I still might go that way

Thanks again for the idea Dave.

dk

I can't speak for all, of course, but shots of your 'hood in all of its honestly palms or not, would thrill me [fecal material]-less.

Seriously!

dave