IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

La Habra California USA

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

The best posts are the ones by people in these places like Amazonia, etc., that show everyday life there in pictures.

I drive around my new hometown, and I don't care, but maybe someone from our far-flung family might find it interesting.

So, if the Moderators consider this to be off-topic, go ahead and move it. . . . . .

In this picture, I'm in the No Va, and driving westward across Cypress Avenue, down a nice tract of houses.

Note the toweing washies in the background.

post-208-1176167036_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's another, around the bend a bit.

post-208-1176167084_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

A couple of hundred feet north of my place, the County of LA begins (I'm in the Big Orgy, aka "The OC")

Note the BRILLIANT BLAZING BOUGAINVILLEA and the sign proclaiming a fire hazard area.   We had about 2" (5 cm) of rain this year.

post-208-1176167209_thumb.jpg

Close up of the sign.

No smoking!  (before or after, you know what . . . )

post-208-1176167264_thumb.jpg

Here's a view down Cypress Avenue down towards Whittier Boulevard.  (Named after the City of Whittier and the Transcendental poet J G Whittier . . . )

post-208-1176167372_thumb.jpg

And here's another:

post-208-1176167406_thumb.jpg

And another:

post-208-1176167432_thumb.jpg

This is Banco Popular, at the corner of Cypress & Whittier.  Banco P is an LA bank, aiming at the Hispanic crowd -- they send me soliciations in Espaniol . . .

dave

post-208-1176167540_thumb.jpg

If you jump over the wall on the east side of place that I've had such a fetish about, and into the neighbors' yards on the other side, you'll find yourself in a nice 'hood, of nifty 'Murkin Suburban Homes.

post-208-1176167759_thumb.jpg

And more

post-208-1176167777_thumb.jpg

And still more:

post-208-1176167798_thumb.jpg

And yet still more

post-208-1176167821_thumb.jpg

And still yet still more

post-208-1176168042_thumb.jpg

And more

post-208-1176168084_thumb.jpg

Not many houses out here have two stories.  This one's an exception . .

post-208-1176168184_thumb.jpg

And another:

post-208-1176168249_thumb.jpg

And another

post-208-1176168348_thumb.jpg

La Habra Heights is hilly, with large lots, most costing for the land alone, about $1 million.  Some have dumpy dives of houses on them, others have Meglamaniamansions like this one:

post-208-1176168421_thumb.jpg

This one's nice, not quite so mmm-anical

post-208-1176168486_thumb.jpg

This is a slope on Fullerton/Harbor roads, with local scrub.

It's been a dry year, no green grass at all.

post-208-1176168605_thumb.jpg

Another pic

post-208-1176168634_thumb.jpg

Over the hill and you go from Mexico (La Habra) to China (mostly; Rowland Heights . . . )

Here's a shopping center full of Chinese shops and eateries.

post-208-1176168809_thumb.jpg

And more

post-208-1176168839_thumb.jpg

and more

post-208-1176168971_thumb.jpg

The Supreme Dragon, one of my fave Chinese eateries

post-208-1176169059_thumb.jpg

Here's the shopping center, Hong Kong Plaza.  The Chinese seem to like glitz.

I go to the supermarket from time to time to get some fish, etc.  Good deals . . .

dave

post-208-1176169158_thumb.jpg

Another pic

post-208-1176169289_thumb.jpg

And another

post-208-1176169322_thumb.jpg

Sorry for dupe post.

Here's another:

post-208-1176169371_thumb.jpg

Here's a center with giant E. citriodora (new name, yeah . . .)

in front

post-208-1176169422_thumb.jpg

(Dave from So-Cal @ Apr. 09 2007,21:24)

And another:

Oh,,,,,my.....God....is this architect in prison? I hope so...

Hmm..it was so bad that the picture wouldn't show up again. post #16...wow.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Ok Dave,

So where's the damned, infamous Delonix?  Out of leaf I'm sure.

My dad's family lived in the El Monte, Whittier, Pico Rivera area.  My mom's family was from Redlands, San Berdoo.

One of my dad's brothers worked at that place that is now an Egyptian Art Deco shopping center off HWY 5 (of course, there was no HWY 5 then).  Back then it was an Egyptian Art Deco Chrysler plant.

Disneyland was surrounded by orange orchards.  Knott's Berry farm was a...berry farm where they sold pies & preserves & had a western motif.

My how things change.

-Ron-

-Ron-

Please click my Inspired button. http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Dave,

Must of been a  s l o wwwwww  day today, aye? Wake me up when it's over. :P

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(stunned and silent)

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Hey Dave, I used to work in Commerce for 3 years. We ate plenty of lunches in Whittier and Pico Rivera.

Viva Dave and the La Habra...

Hey amigo I'll have to confess something: in the old board your nick was Dave La La Ha Bra Ca and at first I used to confuse you with Kylecawazafla. I know he uses the initials of the places he has lived (Calif, Washington, South Africa, Florida) and then I thought Dave has been to Los Angeles, Habana, Brazil and Canada(?). :P

It is great to check your nice neighborhood but most of these homes need palm ghost plantings... :;):  Now when are you going to show us your Royals and Dypsis?

I love chinese too, so next time in LA we'll have to fight that Supreme Dragon together on our way back from Huntington, ok?

post-157-1176176408_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

suddenly hungry for chinese food...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(Jeff Searle @ Apr. 09 2007,22:15)

Dave,

Must of been a  s l o wwwwww  day today, aye? Wake me up when it's over. :P

Jeff

"Snort!?!"

"Say-whut?"

(Zac in NC @ Apr. 09 2007,23:35)

Interesting. Is that smog or cloud cover?

Zac

Cloud cover.

Unsual for this time of year.  Usually, Summer rocks the house, but now, well . . .

dave