IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help/Advice on Repotting my W.Robusta

RobustaEnvirons

Hello everyone! A while back some people suggested that I repot my W.Robusta since I put it in a pot that's too large. I've been hesitant up until now since its been doing pretty well. 

It's had a lean to it since I put it in this big pot. It originally had 6 large fronds when I got it (from St.Petersburg Florida) in August. I bought it on eBay and they wrapped it up nicely and shipped it overnight. It unfortunately very quickly lost all but 1 frond. I watered it liberally and gave it sunlight. I had to trim off the dead brown tips as they'd brown. 

After about a month of doing a whole lot of nothing, it began pushing out a new frond. 

I've just left it in that same spot on my Bay Window and that small frond is slowly getting larger (towards the end of summer it grew rapidly, not as much now during Fall/Winter). But, it's been maintaining itself nicely. 

I am now running low on room for other things on the Bay Window and I'm starting to think perhaps that pot really was too big (it hogs up a lot of room). 

Now, I would like to re-pot it in a slightly smaller pot, but I'm afraid if I do it may decline and die. I don't want that by any means. Other people has mentioned that there W.Robusta (of this similar size) are in much smaller pots. 

It'd be nice to transplant it to a smaller pot. The primary reason for going with a pot of this size is, the roots were quite long when I got it. I unwrapped the Palm and was surprised that the roots weren't so much in a "ball" like other plants. They were somewhat more elongated. 

They went down a ways beneath the surface of the soil. When I potted it in this container the roots went down towards the bottom. I didn't bunch them up or anything. I basically bought the pot to accommodate the length of the roots. I understand that W. Robusta send down a tap root to seek water. That was my reasoning for going with a pot of this size. This was my first Robusta of any decent size or maturity (still has been).

When/if I repot this in a smaller pot, can I "bunch" the roots together like a root ball (to allow it to fit into the smaller pot)? Do the roots not mind being put in a smaller pot? It's pot has a lot of dirt though, it perhaps might've done better in a smaller pot as some have suggested). I don't know.  

If I were to repot it in a smaller pot, what size should I look for? They sell them in terms of inches I believe (I already own a 14' inch pot). Its confusing to shop for pots because they sometimes don't go by inches. I saw one pot that said it was a gallon! 

I think it would probably be best to buy a pot that's not as wide, but goes down deeper. It seems like all the pots I see in stores (that are deeper) are almost wider as well. This dilemma is why I've done nothing so far.

Or, should I just leave it be? It's been doing so very well, I'd really hate to jeopardize that. 

Thank you for any help. :)

IMAG1212.jpg

IMAG1213.jpg

IMAG1215.jpg

Richard Berry 

Toledo, Ohio. Zone 6b, along the Western Shores of Lake Erie. I'm a big Potted Palm enthusiast. I love the Washingtonia Robusta: its Resilient, Adaptable, and grows so rapidly. You can't keep it down; The Skyscraper Palm!  

I would leave it as is.  Main concern with too large of pot is that the soil would stay wet too long, so go easy on the watering.  Repotting would likely damage roots and stress an already stressed palm.  Robusta is fast, it will grow to match its current pot size quickly!

• Upvote 1

When you received your palm from eBay I had recommended to pot it in a much smaller pot (min. 12 cm to max. 18 cm, not inches!). But now I too can only say leave it at it is, and don’t water too much as long as it doesn’t have enough leaves.

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

When you received your palm from eBay I had recommended to pot it in a much smaller pot (min. 12 cm to max. 18 cm, not inches!). But now I too can only say leave it at it is, and don’t water too much as long as it doesn’t have enough leaves.

Yes, you did say that. I remember that, however those sized pots are so small though. Over here in America pots are sold using inches, as opposed to centimeters. 12-18 centimeters converts to 4-7 inches. 

I did however look at pots of those sizes as you had advised. I even bought a 14 inch pot and it was too small even for that!

It wouldn't fit In it. The roots alone hogged up a lot of the room. 

That's why I wasn't sure what to do. Sorry about that. 

Richard Berry 

Toledo, Ohio. Zone 6b, along the Western Shores of Lake Erie. I'm a big Potted Palm enthusiast. I love the Washingtonia Robusta: its Resilient, Adaptable, and grows so rapidly. You can't keep it down; The Skyscraper Palm!  

26 minutes ago, RobustaEnvirons said:

Yes, you did say that. I remember that, however those sized pots are so small though. Over here in America pots are sold using inches, as opposed to centimeters. 12-18 centimeters converts to 4-7 inches. 

I did however look at pots of those sizes as you had advised. I even bought a 14 inch pot and it was too small even for that!

It wouldn't fit In it. The roots alone hogged up a lot of the room. 

That's why I wasn't sure what to do. Sorry about that. 

These two and a half year old Washi seedlings were potted in 12cm pots each (photo taken 1984-01-08). I think they had a similar size as your Washi. I had grown them from seeds that germinated in June 1981.

56aa8a2d00ecf_Washingtonia1984-01-08.thu

2 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

These two and a half year old Washi seedlings were potted in 12cm pots each (photo taken 1984-01-08). I think they had a similar size as your Washi. I had grown them from seeds that germinated in June 1981.

Ah, I see. That makes sense I suppose. I very much wish I had potted it in a pot that size. 

So you're saying it would've been okay to just cram it in there? Just pack the whole thing into a tiny little pot like that, roots and all? How does yours live in a 12cm (4in) pot? Is your pot 12cm in depth?

That's like as tall as a drinking cup. 

Edited by RobustaEnvirons

Richard Berry 

2 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Is this what you used? 

http://www.amazon.com/Inch-Standard-Plastic-Pots-Seedlings/dp/B00M0YWN0Y/ref=sr_1_3?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1454026412&sr=1-3&keywords=4in+pot

Richard Berry 

56 minutes ago, RobustaEnvirons said:

No, the pots were deeper (12x12cm), more cylindrical, not so conical (photo below with Livistona chinensis). But please leave your Washi now as it is. Sooner or later you have to repot it anyway into a larger pot. The second photo (taken in August 1974) shows two Washis in bigger wooden containers; these Washis germinated only two years earlier in February and March 1972 and were much bigger than those four of 1984.

56aabdb9597e1_Livistonachinensissubglobo

56aac066beb09_PalmsHamburg1974-08.thumb.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

No, the pots were deeper (12x12cm), more cylindrical, not so conical (photo below with Livistona chinensis). But please leave your Washi now as it is. Sooner or later you have to repot it anyway into a larger pot. The second photo (taken in August 1974) shows two Washis in bigger wooden containers; these Washis germinated only two years earlier in February and March 1972 and were much bigger than those four of 1984.

56aabdb9597e1_Livistonachinensissubglobo

56aac066beb09_PalmsHamburg1974-08.thumb.

Okay, I'll just leave it alone then and not re-pot it right now. I agree though, they grow so fast that I'll just be potting it again after a while. :) Its seems like there aren't any standards when it comes to pot sizes. Its as if all the pots sold are different sizes ,shapes and etc. I like the pots you used, they are longer (deeper) than the pots sold in my local department store. They're nice. 

You really go way back man! Wow, you were growing palms back in the 70s and 80s? I was only born in 1988, and only have but a few years of palm experience. That's awesome. You really have a lot of experience in this. Did you take all your photos? They're good. I skimmed through your flickr albums. 

But, anyway thank you for the help. I'll just leave it be. 

Richard Berry 

By the way, I noticed today that the large leaf is "compacting" slightly or in other words squeezing together. It doesn't (or hasn't yet) appeared to be dying off as other leaves have in the past but its sort of compacting like a fan. Why would it be doing this? Does anyone know? Could this be an indication that the leaf may die in the near future? Or, do leaves open and close as needed (such as depending on light conditions or something)? I actually didn't notice it before recently. It could be due to all the cloudy days we've had this Winter, I don't know. Its weird.  

The other day last week I attached that zip-tie to help prop the palm up (without it the palm leans)? Could this be the cause or would that not have any effect? I didn't attach the zip-tie too tightly at all. Its actually pretty loss. Its just providing minimal support to keep it upright. 

The newest middle leaf (that emerged in the fall) is still green and vibrant, so that's good. 

Richard Berry