IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Your Oldest Palms in Pots

Pal Meir

I have a couple of Chamaerops from the early  90's still in pots. The plants themselves are in much better condition than the pots. Sunshine, temperature fluctuation and strong root  production because of dryness turn pots in to pieces.

Pal, I can't even come close to your pot records!

But, for what it's worth, I've had Chambeyronias in large pots (garbage cans) for 10 years or more.

I'll scour my friends' collections and see if I can find something that's been potted for a while.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Incredible plants Pal. Has the Arenga ever produced suckers? How do you stop the Phoenix palms from lifting themselves out of their pots?

1 hour ago, Josh76 said:

Incredible plants Pal. Has the Arenga ever produced suckers? How do you stop the Phoenix palms from lifting themselves out of their pots?

Q&A #1: Suckers of Arenga

56aa625c9b3e1_Arengaengleri2008-06-12suc

Q&A #2: Root pruning of Phoenix canariensis

56aa629a67468_Phoenixcanariensis1980-05-

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

7 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

This Rhapis subtilis was grown up from one seed (labeled as “Rh. humilis”) in 1981. This is the last photo taken in 2008 aged 27 years, before it was given away to a zoological garden (Vogelpark Walsrode):

56aa19f8e816d_Rhapissubtilis2008-09-27.t

Where did you use to buy seeds from back then? I remember that during the early 90's the only reliable palm seeds source known to me was a family business but it had a limited though occasionally highly interesting list. It even offered once seeds of Borassondedron borneense (btw they were fresh and viable!), though it was emphasizing on australian plants and cycads.

Edited by Phoenikakias

19 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Where did you use to buy seeds from back then? I remember that during the early 90's the only reliable palm seeds source known to me was a family business but it had a limited though occasionally highly interesting list. It even offered once seeds of Borassondedron borneense (btw they were fresh and viable!), though it was emphasizing on australian plants and cycads.

The main source for seeds in the 1970s and 80s was A. Schenkel in Hamburg (as in this case with the Rhapis), but I collected also seeds in the wild and in several botanical gardens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

The main source for seeds in the 1970s and 80s was A. Schenkel in Hamburg (as in this case with the Rhapis), but I collected also seeds in the wild and in several botanical gardens.

Thanks. This small family business I mentioned before had its headquarters in Heidelberg (or nearby anyway). Do you happen to remember its name?

9 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Thanks. This small family business I mentioned before had its headquarters in Heidelberg (or nearby anyway). Do you happen to remember its name?

I guess you might mean Samengeschäft Wagner (???) in Heidelberg. I bought there some seeds in the 1980s too.

In the 80s, I used to buy seeds (not only palm seeds) from Spezialsämereien Wißmann in Osnabrück (I recently found an old catalog). None of the palms is alive anymore though, as I gave them away when I moved to the US in 1998, I restarted the hobby in 2013 after moving back to Germany.

Frank

Two Chamaerops form the early 90's, when I obtained them. First one had by then already fan palms, so I estimate that it carries about another 5 years 'on its back'. The second one had been bought as a strap seedling of the arborescent variety, but it proved very suckering, so I prefered keeping it in pot. Both plants look better then the pots, they are in. 

IMG_20160129_165840.thumb.jpg.7770fa72caIMG_20160129_165853.thumb.jpg.a281dfdba7IMG_20160129_165922.thumb.jpg.e313a55bf9IMG_20160129_165932.thumb.jpg.09b6d34f9d

• Upvote 5

If you wonder why I do not pot them up, answer is simple. I can not. Plants are super heavy at current stage, Almost all soil has been substituted by root mass and, believe me, root mass is way heavier than the stickiest soil.

• Upvote 3

Wow, you guys have got me beat, hands down.  I think my oldest palm is maybe 5 years old at this point.  But, I have several contenders I may be able to bonzai out to 20 if they keep at this growth rate.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

2 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

If you wonder why I do not pot them up, answer is simple. I can not. Plants are super heavy at current stage, Almost all soil has been substituted by root mass and, believe me, root mass is way heavier than the stickiest soil.

I know, they can become very heavy. My 28 years old Chamaerops on the photo taken in 2008 was also much over 100 kg. So I decided to keep only lighter palms with me like this one below, 29 years old in 2015:

56abbd1370809_Chamaerops2015-09-07P10008

PS: The soil consists of 100% marble pebbles. The bonsai is almost all the year outdoors.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have only coconut trees and grow using bonsai technique....  this the older one, 16 years old........

1314_3232736114679_711878960_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 12

WOW, impressive numbers here. My oldest is a Dypsis Lutescens in the same pot for 5 years, spends the entire year outdoors in part day sun (about 6 hours). So far so good. 

Palos Verdes Estates - coastal Los Angeles - 33°45'N 118°24'W

On a cliff, 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Zone 10b - Sunset zone 24

Awesome plants.

Chamaerops humilis that is beautiful Pal!!

Its only by coming to sites like PalmTalk we get to see such beautiful specimens.

Many thanks to all of you for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...

My "old" palms in pots, strictly, I live on fourth floor

Phoenix roebelenii, 25 or more years

IMG_6522.JPG

Edited by Tomas
  • Upvote 5

• 7 months later...

Pal, your Ptychosperma macarthurii 20 years kept in a small pot (2006

Are they that slow growing?  I have been looking for one for some time and found one on Ebay here in the states 20" tall for $20 was going to jump on it, but thought they were faster growers. Saw this post that you had one so wanted to ask about growth speed.

Scott/Omaha, NE USA

3 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

Pal, your Ptychosperma macarthurii 20 years kept in a small pot (2006

Are they that slow growing?  I have been looking for one for some time and found one on Ebay here in the states 20" tall for $20 was going to jump on it, but thought they were faster growers. Saw this post that you had one so wanted to ask about growth speed.

Scott/Omaha, NE USA

I tried to keep it small, finally it got too tall for indoors, but that was in 2008 when I gave it away to a zoo.

Some of these palms are almost as old as I am! :o

...okay, yes, I exaggerate slightly...  :innocent:  Very impressive to see these palms kept small with confinement, yet perfectly healthy.  If carefully maintained they can be quite tolerant plants.

My oldest in a pot is only about 8 years old, and that's nothing for a variegated Rhapis.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

post-10546-0-51010000-1418532556_thumb.j

This Howea forsteriana belonged to my grandmother she kept in that pot for over forty years. as far as I'm aware  it is being cared for by my Aunty. 

• Upvote 11

Finally....was able to find one on Ebay and was able to get it shipped before really cold weather arrived. 

I've read online mixed reports on growth speed of this species. Anyone?

DSCF0204.JPG

• Upvote 2

On 11/18/2016, 1:39:14, sashaeffer said:

Finally....was able to find one on Ebay and was able to get it shipped before really cold weather arrived. 

I've read online mixed reports on growth speed of this species. Anyone?

DSCF0204.JPG

It doesn't look very old? :D 

Edited by Funkthulhu

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

On 11/12/2016, 11:32:10, Kim said:

Some of these palms are almost as old as I am! :o

...okay, yes, I exaggerate slightly...  :innocent:  Very impressive to see these palms kept small with confinement, yet perfectly healthy.  If carefully maintained they can be quite tolerant plants.

My oldest in a pot is only about 8 years old, and that's nothing for a variegated Rhapis.

Some of his oldest ones are as old as I am. *gasp*.  There's a few in here I think   

My oldest currently (time I've had it) is also 8 years old.  The plant is likely got about 5 years of growth before I got it.   C Elegans.  

• 3 weeks later...

It's not my palm ... My palm is still too small, and it is difficult to say that they are old. This Phoenix roebelenii  growing in the greenhouse of the Kiev Botanical Garden. And it seems that it grows in this pot all his life! ..

DSC_0344.jpg

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Yurabotan said:

It's not my palm ... My palm is still too small, and it is difficult to say that they are old. This Phoenix roebelenii  growing in the greenhouse of the Kiev Botanical Garden. And it seems that it grows in this pot all his life! ..

Yes, you can keep Ph roebelenii a couple of decades in quite small pots.

58 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Yes, you can keep Ph roebelenii a couple of decades in quite small pots.

This feature is characteristic only for Ph roebelenii?
I know that Ph dactulifera or canariensis will never forms a trunk if it is growing in a pot.

• 1 year later...

Hi Pal,

looking at my small C. elegans I'm wondering if I ever will see it that big. Counting my age I need to become very old:yay:

Was there something stopping it growing for a certain time? 

Regards

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri