IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Effects of long term pot-culture on palms?

Zeeth

Neat new forum! 

Does anyone know the effects of long-term pot culture on palms that are ultimately destined to be planted? 

I've got these two coconuts that I'm going to try keeping with me throughout medical school and residency, and I plan to ultimately plant them in the ground when I can buy my own place to garden. Are they going to be stunted forever from being kept in a pot for so long? It might be 10 years!

The big one on the right is a Jamaican tall from the tallest/oldest Jamaican tall on Anna Maria island. The one on the left is one I sprouted from a huge coconut I got at a local Indian store. It weighed 3 pounds dehusked!

IMG_4829.thumb.jpg.c48d6c5b3d8e76177ab4a

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Yes, by all means palms can be stunted if left in pots for many years. Of course it all depends on the species. Usually the larger species that are capable of forming trunk will be the ones in jeopardy.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for the info!

Any way to prevent or remedy long-term problems? 

Keith 

1 hour ago, Tampa Scott said:

Plant them in the ground and have them dug and transplanted when the time comes.

Not much room left for them in my garden. My parents only have 1/8 an acre, and I already have a few hundreds palms planted (including 13 coconuts).

• Upvote 1

Keith 

27 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

Not much room left for them in my garden. My parents only have 1/8 an acre, and I already have a few hundreds palms planted (including 13 coconuts).

Send them over here... I'll take care of them.:evil:

Or, maybe you can grow them into bonsai cocos...

• Upvote 1

I think the biggest problem with long term pot / container growing is salt buildup in the soil. They need to be completely flushed on a regular basis.

I water my potted palms with fresh water from the bayou to avoid salt build up. Also set them out in heavy rains when possible. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of THOSE questions

Hmm. (profound!)

Too long for royals?

[Expletive!} for the royals, i think

anyone disagree?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.