IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Blizzard coming

Ed in Houston

Get ready for the blizzard if you are in it's path.

The weather is generally poor in the SE US into Thursday night.

650x366_01210839_hd9.jpg

By Friday night, the blizzard will start to take hold starting in eastern Tennessee even down into Mississippi.

650x366_01211044_hd30.jpg

After that a swath of the blizzard will pound the Mid-Atlantic including D.C. with up to two feet of snow and strong winds.

650x366_01211049_hd25-1.jpg

Ed in Houston

Almost all of FL will be subject to thunderstorms, heavy rain, winds and possible tornadoes. Not snow but wicked in its own right. Cape Coral/Ft. Myers area has had two tornadoes in two weeks.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

18 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Almost all of FL will be subject to thunderstorms, heavy rain, winds and possible tornadoes. Not snow but wicked in its own right. Cape Coral/Ft. Myers area has had two tornadoes in two weeks.

Is that above normal for you all, Meg?  The winter time is your second or most active tornado season?

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2016‎ ‎10‎:‎07‎:‎44‎, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Is that above normal for you all, Meg?  The winter time is your second or most active tornado season?

It's unusual because our winters tend to be dry. Normal rainfall in Jan. is 1.92". By 1/16 we'd already gotten 8" and when I got up this morning it was pouring. Tornado risk is highest during summer thunderstorm/hurricane season but possible all year. For this area to get two f2 tornadoes within 10 days in Jan. is exceedingly rare. And I'm not counting the ones that hit Sarasota area further north. Right now we are getting severe thunderstorm warnings through our TV.

Meg

Florida

8 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

It's unusual because our winters tend to be dry. Normal rainfall in Jan. is 1.92". By 1/16 we'd already gotten 8" and when I got up this morning it was pouring. Tornado risk is highest during summer thunderstorm/hurricane season but possible all year. For this area to get two f2 tornadoes within 10 days in Jan. is exceedingly rare. And I'm not counting the ones that hit Sarasota area further north. Right now we are getting severe thunderstorm warnings through our TV.

Interesting.  I hope things settle down for you there.  I wonder if you have had such an extremely wet winter, will that mean a drier than normal summer (rainy season)?

23 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Interesting.  I hope things settle down for you there.  I wonder if you have had such an extremely wet winter, will that mean a drier than normal summer (rainy season)?

Not necessarily. El Nino may play a role if it continues beyond winter. El Ninos suppress hurricane activity in the Atlantic. But I haven't detected a "rule" that says rainy winter = dry  summer or vice versa. Once April gets here temps usually soar and skies stay clear. Then drought may be an issue. However, my canal is at a rainy season high in mid-winter. I hope that bounty carries through to summer. And always consider that FL is about 90 miles wide and hemmed in by sea.

Meg

Florida

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Not necessarily. El Nino may play a role if it continues beyond winter. El Ninos suppress hurricane activity in the Atlantic. But I haven't detected a "rule" that says rainy winter = dry  summer or vice versa. Once April gets here temps usually soar and skies stay clear. Then drought may be an issue. However, my canal is at a rainy season high in mid-winter. I hope that bounty carries through to summer. And always consider that FL is about 90 miles wide and hemmed in by sea.

Meg,

I am curious, what is your normal annual average rainfall there, and what is your normal high/low in Jan. and in July?

3 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Meg,

I am curious, what is your normal annual average rainfall there, and what is your normal high/low in Jan. and in July?

Annual average rainfall is 54" but figure 50-60" as a range. US average is 37".

Jan. average = 1.9"

July average = 9.0"   June & Aug. averages are 10.1" each, Sep 8.3". The other 15" are scattered across the remaining 7 months.

Meg

Florida

9 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Annual average rainfall is 54" but figure 50-60" as a range. US average is 37".

Jan. average = 1.9"

July average = 9.0"   June & Aug. averages are 10.1" each, Sep 8.3". The other 15" are scattered across the remaining 7 months.

Thanks, Meg.  What about your normal high/low temps in Jan. and July?

John our normal highs and lows for January are 74-54 and in July 92-75. And that is the lowest normal and highest normals for Cape Coral. Coldest temperature ever recorded in Cape Coral is 24 degrees in 1894. I don't know how they recorded that low temp as Cape Coral did not exist back in 1894.

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

35 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

John our normal highs and lows for January are 74-54 and in July 92-75. And that is the lowest normal and highest normals for Cape Coral. Coldest temperature ever recorded in Cape Coral is 24 degrees in 1894. I don't know how they recorded that low temp as Cape Coral did not exist back in 1894.

Meg, I am envious.  You live in a PERFECT climate.  those temps would be perfect for me and my coconut palms and other tropical.  They probably used the nearest existing reporting location for the all time record low.  Here, by the way, I average 65F/50F in Jan. and about 93F/77F in July.  I sure wish I had your rainfall too.  Ours "averages" 31" per year (when we're lucky).

1 hour ago, Palmaceae said:

What became Cape Coral was originally called Harney Point. It was a mostly swampy area with only a few residents living in cabins. In the 1950s the Rosen Brothers bought it up, dug canals through the swamps and piled the dirt up to form 1,000s of lots which they peddled to Yankees (anyone not born in FL). From that giant land scheme (scam?) rose the Cape we know and love. Would never happen today. Anyway, as Harney Point no longer exists, the record is attributed to CC. One of the many quirks of the place.

Meg

Florida

3 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

What became Cape Coral was originally called Harney Point. It was a mostly swampy area with only a few residents living in cabins. In the 1950s the Rosen Brothers bought it up, dug canals through the swamps and piled the dirt up to form 1,000s of lots which they peddled to Yankees (anyone not born in FL). From that giant land scheme (scam?) rose the Cape we know and love. Would never happen today. Anyway, as Harney Point no longer exists, the record is attributed to CC. One of the many quirks of the place.

Thanks Meg. We probably won't see 24 degrees anymore as we know have a large population and heat island effect.

The winter temps would be more perfect if I lived in Marco Island or coastal Naples. But I'd need to be a multi-millionaire. I'm not. Besides, I find Cape Coral and its history (such that it is) endlessly fascinating. Some people insist on taking the place seriously. You can't once you dig into it.

Did I mention how one guy got so addled at the end of a long, hot summer that he strapped on dynamite, then drove over to his ex-wife's house intending to blow himself through her front window? At  least cops caught up to him first.  I don't make this stuff up.

Meg

Florida

9 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

The winter temps would be more perfect if I lived in Marco Island or coastal Naples. But I'd need to be a multi-millionaire. I'm not.

I know what you mean Meg. I am just glad I don't live in St Pete or Orlando anymore. Nothing personal about the St Pete or Orlando area as I loved it there but I love the warmer winter temps here in SW Florida!

12 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

The winter temps would be more perfect if I lived in Marco Island or coastal Naples. But I'd need to be a multi-millionaire. I'm not. Besides, I find Cape Coral and its history (such that it is) endlessly fascinating. Some people insist on taking the place seriously. You can't once you dig into it.

Did I mention how one guy got so addled at the end of a long, hot summer that he strapped on dynamite, then drove over to his ex-wife's house intending to blow himself through her front window? At  least cops caught up to him first.  I don't make this stuff up.

Yes very interesting history here in the Cape, we really love it here.

46 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Thanks, Meg.  I love history, especially Florida history even more than Texas history.  I wish I could have seen the real OLD Florida before all the overdevelopment that exists nowadays, and the pristine condition of the Everglades, Keys, and reefs before any development/pollution took place.

46 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

That's funny, but not as absurd as Texas Aggie cadets from Texas A&M many years ago, loading their artillery piece that they fire every time the football team scores, with live ammo onto a train bound for Waco and Baylor University to launch an artillery attack on a rival school.  They made it part of the way until the Texas Rangers stopped them!  Texas has a truly UNIQUE AND OFF THE WALL HISTORY!

44 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

I know what you mean Meg. I am just glad I don't live in St Pete or Orlando anymore. Nothing personal about the St Pete or Orlando area as I loved it there but I love the warmer winter temps here in SW Florida!

Southwest Florida is nice, and if I ever moved back to Florida, I would move to some laid back rural area around there and grow my coconut palms to my heart's content!

12 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Southwest Florida is nice, and if I ever moved back to Florida, I would move to some laid back rural area around there and grow my coconut palms to my heart's content!

John, rural areas are nice and plentiful here but the further you get away from the coast where there still are rural areas the colder it gets.

1 minute ago, Palmaceae said:

John, rural areas are nice and plentiful here but the further you get away from the coast where there still are rural areas the colder it gets.

Yeah, I know, but the only way I could ever dream of being back in Florida is to avoid the immediate coast, the prices are just way too prohibitively high for me.  I am thinking of an area about 5 to 7 miles inland from Bradenton southward to around Ft. Myers, but just dreaming of course.  It would be nice to have 3 or 4 acres around my house, including an all organic palm and tropical plant nursery.

2 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Meg, I forgot to ask you what your normal lowest low temp and normal lowest high temp is in your area each winter.  In my area, it's usually about 32F or 33F for the low, and usually a chilly day or two with a high of only about 43F to 45F.

I estimate the lowest high I've had is about 40F on 1/9/10 in the terrible winter of 2009/10. That came at the start of a whole day of icy rain that then dropped the temp to the mid-30s. It was the first and only time  since I moved here that we had rain fall below 50F. My husband and I spent the afternoon frantically trying to cover plants. I developed bronchitis by evening and was sick for days. Normally winter is our dry season and rain comes ahead of a cold front while temps are still warm (>70F), then moves out before cold air blows through. The lowest low I'll never forget: 28.5F on 1/11/10, the coldest it's ever been at our place. In the following 8 months I lost over 30 species of tropical palms. I almost gave up but my interest was too strong.

But for the past 3 winters we've been fortunate on our ultimate lows: 41.2F in 2013/14, 37F in 2014/15 (last cold front of the season), 45F (so far) this winter. That's zone 11, zone 10b and zone 11 (normal is zone 10a). I know our good fortune will run out, probably during a La Nina but my tropical have had several years to grow strong and robust. One reason I keep my back yard micro jungle and Caribbean Garden so dense is so the palms help shield one another (I hope).

Palms in the ground are on their own. The super sensitives are potted on my back lanai. If they grow too tall for the birdcage I will have to plant them or sell them. I sold off my red and green lipsticks 4-5 years ago. My Hydriastele dransfieldii has reached its limit but I plan to plant it. I don't know why this species is overlooked. For a Hydriastele it is robust and fast growing and simply gorgeous. I plan to start over with a new seedling if I can find one.

Meg

Florida

3 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I estimate the lowest high I've had is about 40F on 1/9/10 in the terrible winter of 2009/10. That came at the start of a whole day of icy rain that then dropped the temp to the mid-30s. It was the first and only time  since I moved here that we had rain fall below 50F. My husband and I spent the afternoon frantically trying to cover plants. I developed bronchitis by evening and was sick for days. Normally winter is our dry season and rain comes ahead of a cold front while temps are still warm (>70F), then moves out before cold air blows through. The lowest low I'll never forget: 28.5F on 1/11/10, the coldest it's ever been at our place. In the following 8 months I lost over 30 species of tropical palms. I almost gave up but my interest was too strong.

But for the past 3 winters we've been fortunate on our ultimate lows: 41.2F in 2013/14, 37F in 2014/15 (last cold front of the season), 45F (so far) this winter. That's zone 11, zone 10b and zone 11 (normal is zone 10a). I know our good fortune will run out, probably during a La Nina but my tropical have had several years to grow strong and robust. One reason I keep my back yard micro jungle and Caribbean Garden so dense is so the palms help shield one another (I hope).

Palms in the ground are on their own. The super sensitives are potted on my back lanai. If they grow too tall for the birdcage I will have to plant them or sell them. I sold off my red and green lipsticks 4-5 years ago. My Hydriastele dransfieldii has reached its limit but I plan to plant it. I don't know why this species is overlooked. For a Hydriastele it is robust and fast growing and simply gorgeous. I plan to start over with a new seedling if I can find one.

Thanks, Meg.  That's very interesting.  I think you can count on your climate being 10B about 80% to 90% of the time.

2 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Thanks, Meg.  That's very interesting.  I think you can count on your climate being 10B about 80% to 90% of the time.

Yeah, but that 10-20% is a killer.

Meg

Florida

18 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Yeah, but that 10-20% is a killer.

Do you have a lot of 11A plants?  10A winters shouldn't do much to 10B plants.

Got a few, including two Areca macrocalyx and my husband's kola nut tree. Tonight the main trunk of my last Cyrtostachys fell over - palm is toast. It's been ailing for a while but I must wait for daylight and warmer weather to find. I won't get another. My three loved my shade clothed bird cage and grew much faster than I expected. But they can't survive in the ground and get too big and awkward for us to wheel around. I could brag about being in zone 10b/11a but I know just one well-aimed arctic front will negate that. Devil's in the details and all that.

Meg

Florida

12 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Got a few, including two Areca macrocalyx and my husband's kola nut tree. Tonight the main trunk of my last Cyrtostachys fell over - palm is toast. It's been ailing for a while but I must wait for daylight and warmer weather to find. I won't get another. My three loved my shade clothed bird cage and grew much faster than I expected. But they can't survive in the ground and get too big and awkward for us to wheel around. I could brag about being in zone 10b/11a but I know just one well-aimed arctic front will negate that. Devil's in the details and all that.

Yeah, but you still have a milder winter climate than my zone 10A.  What was your lowest this morning and what are they predicting for you tonight?