IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another round of severe wx in FL

gsytch

More nasty Florida weather ahead of the next cold front, thanks to El Nino. This time it took lives I slept through it all!

jan17.PNG

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

A pretty rough night indeed. No damage here at the house but numerous storms with rotation/ tornado-warned passing just north and south. Preliminary estimates from the storm that rolled through Sarasota: possibly came ashore on Siesta Key as a high-end f1, possibly f2 with winds up to 127mph. Storm tracked at least 20+ miles through the county before impacting Duette in Manatee Co. Lots of damage on Siesta Key.. Haven't heard about other areas such as University Town Center/ Lakewood ranch. Storm went through both areas on it's way north east.

While i haven't heard anything else beside the report last night, there were some scattered reports of minor wind-related damage/ power outages on Long Boat Key around the same time another strong cell came through Anna Maria. Just after it crossed that area, we had numerous power flashes and intense lightning and a 10 min stretch of straight line winds. Running to the store earlier, did not see any apparent damage other than old Palm fronds scattered about. As usual after a heavy rain event, usual spots in the yard are flooded.  Have read other reports of possible damage down towards Naples, as well as Coastal Flooding/ road closures on Sanibel and near Ft. Meyers. Looks like the Low crossed North FL at around 997mb which is lower than was forecast.

Right now it looks like we get a break with a couple days of cool/cold and blustery weather ahead.That being said. there is another potential threat on the models 300+hours out that needs to be watched. One model run yesterday had a big, spring-like storm for the entire South and Southern Plains.

Yes another wild night, I pray for comfort for the loved ones who lost someone during this past storm. Looks like there was a bit of wind damage in our area, but looks like Collier County had the most in SW Florida. Lots of standing water around here, my rainfall total for the month of January is 6.62"

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Tornado hit South Ft. Myers Friday midday. Did damage to an apartment complex. We got 3.4" Friday and 1" last night. Our monthly total is now 8" on the Isabelle Canal (normal Jan. is 1.92"). Our canal is brimming, the Garden Lot flooded again. Still two more weeks left in the month.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.