IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big Phoenix Sylvesteris

Sabal Steve

Just to be clear, this is not one of the typical date palms that you see around San Diego.  It grows to a smaller size, and has faster growth.  This is a beautiful palm, that grows well here.  It has a nice yellow knobbed trunk as you prune it, and will retain more silver than most other date palms.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Danilopez89 said:

Dangnet!

If I lived closer to you I would definitely pick that up. It looks pretty big already:greenthumb:

Thanks Dan!

Yeah, it's a good sized plant.  It has been a fast grower.  It was 2.5 feet tall when I planted it around 2 years.  Maybe the healthiest plant in the yard.

Yes...very nice palm

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

15 hours ago, nachocarl said:

It has found a new home in Vista.  Thanks Steve, it was a pleasure meeting you today.

Carl, I had a great time, and thank you for showing me around.

I'd love to see some updates on your Rhopalostylis "Nacho-cheesemanii" over the years (as well as your other new editions)!

43 minutes ago, Briank said:

Is that we're your going to plant the pritchardia ? Nice work. 

Yeah, I put in a Hillebrandii that I got from Bill at Multiflora a few weeks ago.  Just happened to be a little better fit for the area.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, nachocarl said:

:lol: Rhopalostylis Nacho-cheesmanii TM, I like it.  I will have to get more now.

sound extra cheezy to me :lol:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Nice ending! It would be awesome to see its new home (Satisfy our voyeur hunger lol)

08053.gif

I wanted to get it in the ground this weekend but got distracted so it will have to wait unit next weekend.  :(

Carl

Vista, CA

• 3 months later...

I do not (believe it) either; it dismissed all its previous leaves! That's a BIG transplant shock even for a Phoenix...

This was simply poor planning on my part.  I didn't get it into the ground and was called out of town for a week and it didn't get watered :indifferent:.  Not to mention the extremely warm temps around that time and small root ball.  There is a green spear and it is getting solid in the ground, there is hope!

• Upvote 2

Carl

Vista, CA

It will survive!

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil