IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cape Coral Florida Tornado

Palmaceae

I posted this in the "Rain in Florida" thread but thought I would create a new post as we had some wild weather in the Cape yesterday. El Nino is showing it's presence here in Florida.

Here is some drone footage of the damage in Cape Coral. I am about 8 miles from this location, Meg is close than I am. It was an EF-2 tornado and damaged 178 stuctures. There was only about a couple minute warning before the tornado hit this area.

"The tornado had an estimated peak wind of 132 mph and a path length of 3.4 miles, the National Weather Service said. About 178 structures were damaged: One home was destroyed, 14 had major damage and 163 suffered minor damage, the National Weather Service said. There were reports of over 100 power poles down, the agency said.Early estimates indicate repairs could cost up to $6 million, Cape Coral police said."

http://www.winknews.com/2016/01/10/cape-coral-continues-to-recover-from-ef2-tornado/

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

I am in Tampa Bay, and we caught this on the tele. Wicked, quick spinup! Now they are saying watch out Thurs night into Friday for more severe weather including an elevated risk for tornadoes. CHILLY TODAY. Nothing above 55F under xclear skies and 39F expected tonight. Brrrrrr:o

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

SW Cape Coral seems to attract tornados. A few years ago the same general was hit by a weaker tornado that did significant roof damage. This f2 was much more intense.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

This sure has been a strange winter, I know it is due to El Nino. Today we were under a tornado warning again, bad storms and flooding. I have not heard of a tornado touch down but there are reports of wind damage in the area. I received almost 3" of rain. For the month of January I have already received 5.74" of rain, way above normal.

It's going to be a wild winter, that's for sure.

We've had 7" for the year as of today. Jan. average is less than 2" and still have another 16 days to go. Our canal is nearly even with the top of our dock. That happens only in summer. After the Dec. warmth many days of cloudy, chilly weather. Snowbirds are about ready to bail. They could have stayed home and gotten lousy weather.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

At one point during the storm this morning my weather station was recording 7" of rain per hour, highest I have ever seen it.

Beyond a couple good wind gusts, and some heavy rain as the front raced through, seemed like both Bradenton and Sarasota, at least where i work down that way, missed out on most of the stronger storms that rolled through. Did hear about the "possible" tornado that went through Cape Coral again but haven't heard much in regards to any damage. Pretty crazy though that in the span of 6 days, storms capable of producing Tornadoes have struck the same area twice. This time around, i think the speed of this system and a less than ideal set up kept tornadic potential low at best.

On the flip side, SPC now has all of West Central FL from Bradenton down to Naples under a "slight risk" area of potential weather for the storm forecast for tomorrow night and Sunday morning. That system looks to have better dynamics for possible weather compared to what went through earlier today.

Looks like another round of potential severe weather tonight. I pray all stays safe here in Florida.

A "sleeping on the couch" kind of night ahead.. Storm currently just west of Moblie AL and intensifying. Was 80F and humid today before clouds started rolling in just around Sunset. Looks like a warm front is starting to lift north as numerous showers and some storms are working N.E. in off the Gulf just off Punta Gorda atm. SPC has all of West Central FL under a Slight Risk through the over night hours and the following watches/advisories are in effect through tomorrow: South Florida may be in "Slight Risk" territory sometime tomorrow.

Storm Warning for the off-shore waters, Wave heights up to 13ft likely for a time. Gale Warning for the near-shore waters. Wouldn't be surprised if the Storm Warning is extended closer to shore, if suggested winds for this event are stronger than forecast.
Wind Advisory and Lake Wind Advisory..  wind gusts 30-50mph possible.
Coastal Flood Advisory, Rip Current Statement, and High Surf Warning.. Wave at the beaches between 5-7ft. Won't be surprised to hear of isolated waves breaking close to 10' as the storm rolls in,  and the potential for minor flooding and beach erosion with an extra 2-3ft or water possible on top of High Tide. Tampa Bay office also mentioned possible effects from Red Tide as it gets blown toward shore.

Because this system will be arriving in the dead of night/ around Sunrise, i hope everyone with access has their weather alerts set on their phones,etc.

A potentially busy night/Sunday morning ahead. Stay safe everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a strange winter. There was that EF2 tornado in Cape Coral then two more in Sarasota County. It is rare to have anything stronger than an EF1 in Florida so to have 3 like that is very unusual. 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

It has been a strange winter. There was that EF2 tornado in Cape Coral then two more in Sarasota County. It is rare to have anything stronger than an EF1 in Florida so to have 3 like that is very unusual. 

It has been.. and i think things may get even more interesting come Spring before settling down. As far as the Tornado that slammed Siesta Key, i work close by and could tell by how stuff at the Nursery was blown around that some sort of circulation passed overhead that night. Crazy that the storm's forward speed ranged between 45-70MPH as it cut north east towards Duette.