IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

California Spring is here

enigma99

Weather has been mild and the long term forecast looks like it is here to stay. Anyone got any plans for more planting? I am going to begin this week with more archies :) 

• Upvote 1

Derrick, I am happy for you.  

Down here in SoCal we have a ways to go.  In the next 15 days I am not seeing any days with lows above the mid-40s nor any highs above the upper-60s.

Once we get some overnight lows at 50°f or higher I will pop some champagne with you.

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Derrick, I am happy for you.  

Down here in SoCal we have a ways to go.  In the next 15 days I am not seeing any days with lows above the mid-40s nor any highs above the upper-60s.

Once we get some overnight lows at 50°f or higher I will pop some champagne with you.

Tuesday night is going to be 50f for me. But yeah lots of 40s in the forecast. That isn't going to stop me from planting though :D

No end in sight for southern California chill...usually we get plenty of sunny 70 degree days in January; not this year...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

1 minute ago, Pete in Paradise Hills said:

No end in sight for southern California chill...usually we get plenty of sunny 70 degree days in January; not this year...

Don't see a strong high pressure setting up anytime soon. But on the flipside, the threat of 30s is pretty much nonexistent. 

Next week it is looking like daily 70s coming for the palm desert, so that's a start

• Upvote 1

Yeah, things are looking up on the freeze front. No real heat, but can't see any frost threats for the immediate future. May be time to take down some of the frost blankets. (that's sure to bring back the cold lol)

46 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

Yeah, things are looking up on the freeze front. No real heat, but can't see any frost threats for the immediate future. May be time to take down some of the frost blankets. (that's sure to bring back the cold lol)

You got pretty cold like 26F right? How did your archies do

1 hour ago, enigma99 said:

You got pretty cold like 26F right? How did your archies do

They did not too bad. There was already some frost burn, and It looks like there was a little more. But, all-in-all they still don't look too bad all thugs considered.

Feeling pretty spring like out there today - 60f and looks like tomorrow they're calling for 64f. In fact, looks like many days in the 10 day forecast hitting 60. And zero overnight lows in the 30's.

It suddenly made it down to 37 here last night and there was quite a bit of frost this morning and ice on my windshield. It looks like we're not out of the woods yet. :angry:

44 minutes ago, Matt in OC said:

It suddenly made it down to 37 here last night and there was quite a bit of frost this morning and ice on my windshield. It looks like we're not out of the woods yet. :angry:

That's so weird. Not sure how you guys are still getting to the 30s down there. Had clear skies last night but was 44 by 6AM

Edited by enigma99

Only made it to 62F today. There is a ton of rain coming everyday wow. My yard is going to be a swamp. Raven Rivularis will be happy though

Yesterday morning was the first time I saw frost on top of roofs and cars this winter. But the good thing is my forecast is calling for warmer days ahead. Today 69, tomorrow 70, by Sunday 75°F. I have a few palms that want to go in the ground already :yay:

This mild winter in South Texas has got me wanting to start planting even my coconut palms by the first part of Feb., which I usually wait to plant until Mar. or Apr.  I also want to get my Christmas, Carpentaria, Coccothrinax, and Fishtails in the ground.  I have a Livistona decipiens and Livistona saribus that I want to plant.

On January 12, 2016 at 8:30:53 AM, Matt in OC said:

As mentioned, that's incredibly strange, here up in the Bay Area it's been consistently in the mid to high 40's (even a few 50+) for overnight lows. Last night it hit 61f at 3AM.

The next 10 days have 7 of those days in the 60's and no overnight lows below 45f.

Think we are out of the woods for this winter. May transplant my GBOP to a warmer spot in the yard. Getting tired of the frost burning those leaves out in the open :(

57F at 1AM and lows in the 40s have been rare. Frogs are getting loud at night and everything is growing, feeling a bit like spring I think!

It's way to early to call it safe. A sure fire way to bring the cold is to start planting marginals. I'll wait till the end of February to start feeling springy just like every year. 

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I've been tempted to start planting with my low being just 57 2 nights ago and it was 75 here today!  I went through my garden and started making a "spring to do list" in the yard.  New plantings, moving palms to new areas, etc..  I have a feeling I'll be out there planting some stuff this weekend.

My favorite time to wait till is Feb 15th... dunno why I think once I read So Cal had never had a significant cold event past that..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

5 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

It's way to early to call it safe. A sure fire way to bring the cold is to start planting marginals. I'll wait till the end of February to start feeling springy just like every year. 

Like washing your car invites the rain

15 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

My favorite time to wait till is Feb 15th... dunno why I think once I read So Cal had never had a significant cold event past that..

Because on the 15th, Valentines Day is over and you can safely focus on palms and not on love...B)

• Upvote 2

I planted a Hedyscepes yesterday and plan on planting a Brahea Clara today or tomorrow.    The Hedy is a protected area and I'm not too concerned about the Brahea. 

Feb 16, 2012 was the last shot of cold we had for that season.  My old garden was in a fairly cold spot and had held up fairly well through what was a pretty cold winter.  I recorded 26 evenings where the temp dropped into the 30's, hit 32F twice with numerous nights of frost.  That last shot on Feb 16 did the most damage of any of the evening as there was thick icy frost on everything.:rage:

Carl

Vista, CA

Thought this should go in the Spring thread as well... These will join my ArchontoForest and In 3 weeks I will be getting another dozen palms (other than Archies) :D I love Spring!

IMG_0070.jpg

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 1