IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

If you had to choose only ONE palm to plant in your garden what would it be?

Josh-O

6 hours ago, Justin said:

DSC09555.JPG

I'm still drooling over this picture!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

9 hours ago, Stelios said:

Beccariophoenix alfredii. I will try to grow as many as I can. But If I could grow Satakentias, it would be my first choice.

Do you have any in the ground currently?

Sunset zone 24

35 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

Do you have any in the ground currently?

I only have 1 very small beccariophoenix alfredii seedling in the ground and the rest of them are in pots. I have a bigger one which I was growing about 4 years now but I think it will not make it so I put it back in a pot (I changed it's location in the ground 3 times so it's my fault) . I also have some seeds to germinate in Spring.

Then again, I wouldn't mind growing this one if I had to choose a single one among others I have, knowing how well it does in my climate.

Dypsis sp. "Maroantsetra"

Zu5cFM8.jpg

• Upvote 5

On 1/9/2016, 9:19:31, Mohsen said:

a BizziXCRendaXCocosXLytocaryumXJubaea Palm :)

If we can do hybrids then I want a Cocos nucifera X Corypha umbraculifera X Cyrtostachys renda (It's a hybrid so it would definitely be hardy here!).

7 hours ago, Pando said:

Then again, I wouldn't mind growing this one if I had to choose a single one among others I have, knowing how well it does in my climate.

Zu5cFM8.jpg

A very nicely grown Dypsis rosea. Wish we could grow them here that easy.

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2016‎ ‎4‎:‎20‎:‎15‎, Josh-O said:

Dypsis Decipiens?

What else could it be? :)

• Upvote 1

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

9 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

A very nicely grown Dypsis rosea. Wish we could grow them here that easy.

Thank you Jeff. It could be a rosea, but it looks a bit different from a typical rosea I've seen. No pink anywhere, lots of black on freshly exposed trunk (like on D. commersoniana), and trunk maintains the light blue/green color 6 feet to the ground. Not to mention its growth habit which is unusually strong for this climate. Could be a hybrid, a genetic variant? The sp. "Maroantsetra" name doesn't tell a whole lot as it was sold under that name for only a short time in 2010-11.

What say you Josh?

Edited by Pando

21 hours ago, Stelios said:

I only have 1 very small beccariophoenix alfredii seedling in the ground and the rest of them are in pots. I have a bigger one which I was growing about 4 years now but I think it will not make it so I put it back in a pot (I changed it's location in the ground 3 times so it's my fault) . I also have some seeds to germinate in Spring.

happy germinating! 

Sunset zone 24

21 hours ago, Pando said:

Zu5cFM8.jpg

This palm is getting pretty popular here on PT.

I need to find one to put in the garden ;)

Sunset zone 24

4 hours ago, Pando said:

Thank you Jeff. It could be a rosea, but it looks a bit different from a typical rosea I've seen. No pink anywhere, lots of black on freshly exposed trunk (like on D. commersoniana), and trunk maintains the light blue/green color 6 feet to the ground. Not to mention its growth habit which is unusually strong for this climate. Could be a hybrid, a genetic variant? The sp. "Maroantsetra" name doesn't tell a whole lot as it was sold under that name for only a short time in 2010-11.

What say you Josh?

It was called dypsis sambiranensis now called dypsis maroantsetra. I had a nice batch I started 3 yrs ago and they grw like rocketships. Not to mention pretty cold hardy doe to 30F I'm glad to see Jr. is growing so well for you. :) 

Sunset zone 24

13 hours ago, John Case said:

What else could it be? :)

Tough, beautiful, head turner....nuff said

Sheer awesomeness...

Sunset zone 24

36 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

It was called dypsis sambiranensis now called dypsis maroantsetra. I had a nice batch I started 3 yrs ago and they grw like rocketships. Not to mention pretty cold hardy doe to 30F I'm glad to see Jr. is growing so well for you. :) 

Some interesting background on the sambiranensis name. Ken Foster, who was President of the IPS way back in the 1970s, moved to the Puna district here on the Big Island around 1990. He had an incredible collection of palms in pots that he had started way back when he lived in SoCal (and he then moved to Florida before ending up here). He bought two acres here in Leilani Estates around 1998 and began planting out his collection. Two of the palms that he planted along the driveway had been referred to as Chrysalidocarpus sambiranensis. The genus Chrysalidocarpus of course became part of Dypsis when Palms of Madagascar was published in 1995. There is a reference to it on page 129, and it's shown as a synonym for D. pinnatifrons. And more references on page 338. After the change to the Dypsis name, Ken began to refer to these two palms as Dypsis sambiranensis and I think he even got nametags for them. For many years after POM was published it was assumed that this palm was simply a variety of pinnatifrons but as we know, it has now been given its own name: Dypsis rosea. One and the same. Tragically, Ken passed away in December 2012 after major health problems. He sold his two acres to Jerry Andersen a year prior to that.

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

2 minutes ago, bgl said:

Some interesting background on the sambiranensis name. Ken Foster, who was President of the IPS way back in the 1970s, moved to the Puna district here on the Big Island around 1990. He had an incredible collection of palms in pots that he had started way back when he lived in SoCal (and he then moved to Florida before ending up here). He bought two acres here in Leilani Estates around 1998 and began planting out his collection. Two of the palms that he planted along the driveway had been referred to as Chrysalidocarpus sambiranensis. The genus Chrysalidocarpus of course became part of Dypsis when Palms of Madagascar was published in 1995. There is a reference to it on page 129, and it's shown as a synonym for D. pinnatifrons. And more references on page 338. After the change to the Dypsis name, Ken began to refer to these two palms as Dypsis sambiranensis and I think he even got nametags for them. For many years after POM was published it was assumed that this palm was simply a variety of pinnatifrons but as we know, it has now been given its own name: Dypsis rosea. One and the same. Tragically, Ken passed away in December 2012 after major health problems. He sold his two acres to Jerry Andersen a year prior to that.

Great story line Bo. I was at Jerry's 3 yrs ago and saw them growing along his driveway. They are freaking HUGE and as pink as pink gets for a palm tree

Sunset zone 24

I know - they are definitely the largest/tallest D. rosea that I have ever seen. Very impressive. :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thank you, Bo, for clarifying the story behind the cultivation of these species. I've seen some images of them growing in your exceptional garden, posted many years ago. I would be very grateful to see how they would look now...

The question I have is what is the palm I'm growing - pinnatifrons, rosea, or something else entirely? It has no pink anywhere on the crownshaft or on the trunk. From Josh's history it sounds more like pinnatifrons (syn. with sambiranensis), but it's known to be quite variable as well. And what was that D. sp. "Maroantsetra" that Jeff M sold 5 years ago and it's in a few gardens around here?

There is also Dypsis commersoniana that looks *very* similar to what I have (except the red leaf).

Edited by Pando

9 minutes ago, Pando said:

Thank you, Bo, for clarifying the story behind the cultivation of these species. I've seen some images of them growing in your exceptional garden, posted many years ago. I would be very grateful to see how they would look now...

The question I have is what is the palm I'm growing - pinnatifrons, rosea, or something else entirely? It has no pink anywhere on the crownshaft or on the trunk. From Josh's history it sounds more like pinnatifrons (syn. with sambiranensis), but it's known to be quite variable as well. And what was that D. sp. "Maroantsetra" that Jeff M sold 5 years ago and it's in a few gardens around here?

There is also Dypsis commersoniana that looks *very* similar to what I have.

You're welcome, and I'm afraid I can't provide more information than the above. I am no longer part of my first garden here in Leilani Estates so I'm unable to provide current photos. And D. commerciana is a clustering palm, and quite a bit smaller than D. rosea, which, as far as I know, is always single trunked. And no idea what the "Maroantsetra" of five years ago might be...:mrlooney:

Thanks Bo, sad to hear that you parted ways with your first garden...

I found one older photo in this thread. The one in the foreground looks like the one I have (based on the leaf and trunk color). The one in the background is more like D. rosea with its pink cs. Do you remember them being different?

3 minutes ago, Pando said:

I found one older photo in this thread. The one in the foreground looks like the one I have (based on the leaf and trunk color). The one in the background is more like D. rosea with its pink cs. Do you remember them being different?

11 minutes ago, bgl said:

You're welcome, and I'm afraid I can't provide more information than the above. I am no longer part of my first garden here in Leilani Estates so I'm unable to provide current photos. And D. commerciana is a clustering palm, and quite a bit smaller than D. rosea, which, as far as I know, is always single trunked. And no idea what the "Maroantsetra" of five years ago might be...:mrlooney:

I like a good mystery.

I was looking back to see where I originally bought this palm and I bought it from Jeff M. as a seedling and was labeled "neophloga sp. pink crown shaft"

Maybe this will shed some light?

Sunset zone 24

6 minutes ago, Pando said:

I like a good mystery.

I was looking back to see where I originally bought this palm and I bought it from Jeff M. as a seedling and was labeled "neophloga sp. pink crown shaft"

Maybe this will shed some light?

Sunset zone 24

Thanks Josh! So it's rosea then according to the history. But, with those Dypsis looks like it's not over until it flowers :)

(sorry for the thread hijack, back to the regularly scheduled programming)

On 1/11/2016, 9:50:29, Pando said:

Thanks Josh! So it's rosea then according to the history. But, with those Dypsis looks like it's not over until it flowers :)

(sorry for the thread hijack, back to the regularly scheduled programming)

No worries. I did a bit more research and it's Rosea. Still a killer palm.. yes??

Sunset zone 24

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Moose said:

Corypha, species does not matter

Black stem Corypha?

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

On 1/8/2016, 4:16:05, Josh-O said:

When you get a chance can you post a picture of your dreamy  Lemurophoenix halleuxii :yay:

Having held Josh in suspense for more than 2 years, I suppose it's time to post a pic. As they say, strike while the iron is hot. :rolleyes:

My friend and visitor Giovanna will kill me if she finds out I posted this here, but it's the most recent pic I have of my tallest Lemur, from July, 2017. Last time I was in Hawaii I took more photos of my grandchild than of my palms -- sorry! Not sorry!  -- as it should be! :wub:

DSC_0094.thumb.jpg.a19a53acd5588f52dbb69

Edit: By the way, Giovanna is 6'7" for scale. (just kidding) Oh, and if you are wondering about color...

DSC_0486.thumb.jpg.5ce99865034ec43d8e3bc

DSC_0010.thumb.jpg.7fc612a0576e7d4c4eb72

• Upvote 11

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I know this is boring, but any sabal palmetto with either bare trunk < bootjacks.

• Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

I need not say much,most of you regular to this forum would be knowing which palm i would plant.....:P

Yes,you thought it right its "Phoenix Canariensis" .

And it must have the pineapple cut....well trimmed.And if the topic starter gave me an option of planting another palm,then i would say a male and a female CIDP so that the later generation would have pure seeds from them.And gets propagated in every nook and corner of my city ! :lol:

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 5

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Probably Cocos nucifera (a tall variety). And I would love the climate that would go with it. I'd love to live on one of those remote islands in the Pacific that is nothing but a forest of Cocos nucifera like Johnston or Palmyra Atoll. For the latter, 175 inches of rain per year with 85 deg temps year round. :drool:

Strawn_Island_at_Palmyra_Atoll_NWR_%2851

Edited by Opal92
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Opal92 said:

Probably Cocos nucifera (a tall variety). And I would love the climate that would go with it. I'd love to live on one of those remote islands in the Pacific that is nothing but a forest of Cocos nucifera like Johnston or Palmyra Atoll. For the latter, 175 inches of rain per year with 85 deg temps year round. :drool:

You and me both on the climate! Only drawback for me is Im a computer scientist/tech nerd so Id at least need a stable and fast internet connection and stable power lol. 

• Upvote 2

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

On 2/4/2018, 4:47:00, Kim said:

Having held Josh in suspense for more than 2 years, I suppose it's time to post a pic. As they say, strike while the iron is hot. :rolleyes:

My friend and visitor Giovanna will kill me if she finds out I posted this here, but it's the most recent pic I have of my tallest Lemur, from July, 2017. Last time I was in Hawaii I took more photos of my grandchild than of my palms -- sorry! Not sorry!  -- as it should be! :wub:

DSC_0094.thumb.jpg.a19a53acd5588f52dbb69

Edit: By the way, Giovanna is 6'7" for scale. (just kidding) Oh, and if you are wondering about color...

DSC_0486.thumb.jpg.5ce99865034ec43d8e3bc

DSC_0010.thumb.jpg.7fc612a0576e7d4c4eb72

ohhh my! it was worth the wait :yay:

Sunset zone 24

I'd go with our native sabal palmetto.  Guaranteed to survive our worst weather, native, immune or resistant to most pests and salt spray, and able to provide viable seeds with the neighbors' trees close by. 

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Beccariophoenix Fenestralis. (Obviously knowing the nutritional sweet spot it requires for this location.) 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 2/5/2018, 6:58:35, Opal92 said:

wow!!!!!

Sunset zone 24

23 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Beccariophoenix Fenestralis. (Obviously knowing the nutritional sweet spot it requires for this location.) 

great choice!!!

that palm looks like a coconut when it get bigger

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24