IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

If you had to choose only ONE palm to plant in your garden what would it be?

Josh-O

If you had to choose only one palm to plant that would grow in your garden what would it be?

I would probably have to go with kentiopsis piersoniorum for my climate.

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

44 minutes ago, nachocarl said:

Kentia!

I can only grow mine in shade:( just too dang hot in the Summer. Might be boring, but I am going with a standard Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana. Super cold hardy and can take sun while looking good.. And that's why I have 60 of them!

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 1

Based on where I live the only option I have is a Trachycarpus species. Winters are either too cold or too wet. The most attractive in my opinion is Trachycarpus princeps.

• Upvote 2

Frank

Mule!

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

7 hours ago, enigma99 said:

I can only grow mine in shade:( just too dang hot in the Summer. Might be boring, but I am going with a standard Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana. Super cold hardy and can take sun while looking good.. And that's why I have 60 of them!

+ 1 on Archies...we'll go with cunninghamiana here just because it is bullet proof/so easily available, even though I like a couple of the other species a bit more.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

This is ridiculously hard, so I'm just going to pick one and throw it out there. Kentiopsis oliviformis. This thing is getting FAT, loves my soil and takes all the water it can get. But ask me another time and you'll get a different answer.

• Upvote 1

So... What about what ONE palm you would grow that you can't?

I thought about Cyrtostachys Renda but nothing beats Cocos nucifera, the ultimate palm.

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

So... What about what ONE palm you would grow that you can't?

I thought about Cyrtostachys Renda but nothing beats Cocos nucifera, the ultimate palm.

Oh God, you just opened the door for another California coco-love fest...what have I told you about doing that, Derrick? 

I'll go with a coconut. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

5 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Oh God, you just opened the door for another California coco-love fest...what have I told you about doing that, Derrick? 

I'll go with a coconut. :lol:

hah sorry :D at least we can unofficially grow them here in California now in La Quinta. 

Impossible question to answer seriously. :mrlooney:

For my San Diego garden, if I could only have a single species, it might be Howea forsteriana for the full, elegant symmetrical crowns and the green trunks.  But then again, Rhopalostylis sapida makes such a bold, vertical statement, and Dypsis decipiens has that nice, fat trunk... but I digress!  :rolleyes:

Making such a limited decision in my Hawaiian garden is just plain ridiculous!  Should I choose color over form?  Size over elegance?  Which one of the 90+ species growing could I not live without?  Which palm is the essence of the exotic East Hawaiian palm garden?  Would it be Licuala peltata var. sumawongii with its enormous deep green pleated fans?  Or the fabulous Kerriodoxa elegans, with its shiny black petioles and huge arching fans with white undersides?  The every-more-massive Dypsis prestoniana?  Or the slow-growing, but colorful and rare Lemurophoenix halleuxii?

You sure know how to ask some tough questions!!

• Upvote 5

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

If I had a garden in my current climate: Livistona decora 

Irrespective of climate: coconut! Combination of ornament and utility :greenthumb:

Edited by Xenon
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Sabal palmetto Lisa. A distinctive, unforgettable palm - no other quite like it. And it's a native.

5690235993f52_SabalLisa0212-7-15.thumb.J

• Upvote 4

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Cocos Nucifera, LOTS of them. 

coco-14-coconut-grove-2012-2.jpg

• Upvote 4

Palos Verdes Estates - coastal Los Angeles - 33°45'N 118°24'W

On a cliff, 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Zone 10b - Sunset zone 24

I choose Butia odorata. It's graceful silver, arching fronds that flutter in the wind and it's cold hardiness, along with variability make it my favorite species. Each one has its own "personality".

image.thumb.jpg.e0362f8894496ab96c17c379

• Upvote 2

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Cyrtostachys renda. They do well in both my gardens. They do well in both shade and full sun.I cannot think of a more spectacular palm!

These two are growing at the beach.

IMG_0351_2.thumb.jpg.89f41373d4fc9a6239d

IMG_0392.thumb.jpg.839a982e03c2ac897d97d

This one in my highland garden

IMG_0613.thumb.jpg.add77e2741eecb9106f0e

• Upvote 4

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

As many others have said, Cocos nucifera. Always has been my favorite palm and I am blessed to live in an area where I can grow them!

20151231_105016.jpg

• Upvote 3

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

17 hours ago, nachocarl said:

Kentia!

:mrlooney:

Sunset zone 24

16 hours ago, Hamal said:

Based on where I live the only option I have is a Trachycarpus species. Winters are either too cold or too wet. The most attractive in my opinion is Trachycarpus princeps.

Excellent choice. They are so beautiful 

Sunset zone 24

11 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

The only palms which actually survived the winters here in those places of Germany where I am or was living were Trachycarpus fortunei and T. wagnerianus, so I would choose T. wagnerianus. B)

T. wagnerianus would also be my choice for your climate.

Sunset zone 24

11 hours ago, Pip said:

This is way to difficult 

for sure!!

Sunset zone 24

16 hours ago, enigma99 said:

post a picture of your archie grove 

Sunset zone 24

11 hours ago, Rafael said:

I would choose between Ceroxylon Parvifrons or Dypsis Decipiens.

I really did  Ceroxylon Parvifrons such a killer plant

Sunset zone 24

9 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Mule!

I saw a really big mule the other day. I sometimes forget how majestic they are when they mature. good choice!

Sunset zone 24