IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Potential for a Florida freeze in January

SubTropicRay

42 Degrees with a little frost on some roofs here on Pine Island In Lee Country Fl. S.W.

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

Low of 34˚ was recorded at the weather station a few hundred feet from my house, and also at the Sarasota International airport. Anna Maria Island only got down to 46˚.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I had 46 in Indian Harbour Beach. Folks at work said frost on car windshields and open areas of lawn west of I95. Looks like we have a nice break from the cool weather for next week+.

Edited by IHB1979
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IHB1979 said:

I had 46 in Indian Harbour Beach. Folks at work said frost on car windshields and open areas of lawn west of I95. Looks like we have a nice break from the cool weather for next week+.

So do you think it stayed above 40 here in Indialantic?

8 minutes ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

So do you think it stayed above 40 here in Indialantic?

Here's a good weather station for your location:

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/zmw:32925.1.99999

Here's the monthly summary.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KCOF/2016/1/25/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=Patrick%20Air%20Force%20Base&req_state=FL&reqdb.zip=32925&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

It looks like it was 36˚ yesterday morning, and 47˚ this morning.

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Coldest reading here at Interbay this week was this morning with a low of 41F at 7:10 AM.  Hopefully, the now positive AO can offset the upcoming stratospheric warming.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

It sounds as though a couple of you heard about frost on rooftops (or elsewhere) while temperatures bottomed out with lows in the 40s F last night.  Can anyone explain how frost is possible in the 40s? 

I saw some light frost in Gainesville early this morning (rooftops and even on grass), but that is not surprising because we bottomed out in the 30s.  It's those temperatures in the 40s that make frost a mystery to me.  I'm no meteorologist, so please forgive me if the answer to this question is obvious to most of you.

11 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

It sounds as though a couple of you heard about frost on rooftops (or elsewhere) while temperatures bottomed out with lows in the 40s F last night.  Can anyone explain how frost is possible in the 40s? 

I saw some light frost in Gainesville early this morning (rooftops and even on grass), but that is not surprising because we bottomed out in the 30s.  It's those temperatures in the 40s that make frost a mystery to me.  I'm no meteorologist, so please forgive me if the answer to this question is obvious to most of you.

If the sky is clear enough, heat from surfaces can radiate out into space, leaving that surface colder than the air temperature. 

• Upvote 1

Keith 

3 hours ago, Zeeth said:

Patrick airforce base is 11 miles north of me. I can't say whether it is like other air bases in being a few degrees cooler than the adjacent communities (e.g. the ari base in Fairfield, CA). I'm sure any readings would be within 1-3 degrees of anything 15 miles in either direction.

Checking W.U. as i left just after 6 this morning, Closest WX station ( Lakeside South) was reading 38F. Didn't see frost anywhere along my route to work until i got south of Bee Ridge  ( Sarasota). While most of the white stuff was on rooftops, there were several grassy areas south of Bee ridge  covered in frost, same situation once i got to work. Checking the weather around 8 or so, Looked like most stations around Sarasota averaged 34-36F and indeed the Lakeside South station by the house briefly hit 37F.

Getting home, didn't note any damage out in the yard. Of everything id had concerns about, it was 3 small Dictyosperma "red form" seedlings i left exposed. No spots or apparent frost burn on any of them.

Next weather issue looks to be Wednesday and Thursday.. possible 4" of rain forecast for the area. Any Severe weather looks minimal atm.. that could change..  Long range (Mid-Month) looks a bit uncertain.. with the GFS/Euro wavering between +10 above..and -10 below average temps for the east US and FL.

2 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Checking W.U. as i left just after 6 this morning, Closest WX station ( Lakeside South) was reading 38F. Didn't see frost anywhere along my route to work until i got south of Bee Ridge  ( Sarasota). While most of the white stuff was on rooftops, there were several grassy areas south of Bee ridge  covered in frost, same situation once i got to work. Checking the weather around 8 or so, Looked like most stations around Sarasota averaged 34-36F and indeed the Lakeside South station by the house briefly hit 37F.

Getting home, didn't note any damage out in the yard. Of everything id had concerns about, it was 3 small Dictyosperma "red form" seedlings i left exposed. No spots or apparent frost burn on any of them.

Next weather issue looks to be Wednesday and Thursday.. possible 4" of rain forecast for the area. Any Severe weather looks minimal atm.. that could change..  Long range (Mid-Month) looks a bit uncertain.. with the GFS/Euro wavering between +10 above..and -10 below average temps for the east US and FL.

I had a D. album rubrum in Ellenton go through 2010 with very minimal damage. I think they're hardier than they get credit for. 

Keith 

17 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

I had a D. album rubrum in Ellenton go through 2010 with very minimal damage. I think they're hardier than they get credit for. 

Good to know. Also have regular alba seedlings, but they're sheltered under one of my benches.

45.7F this morning. Predicted: 41F. I am well pleased.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Had 41 this morning but did see frost on roof tops this morning, but non on the ground or plants. I drove to my new job today in which i had to be in Palm Beach this morning. As I was driving I saw the temp drop to 39 in places but when I got to Lake Okochobee the temps where in the upper 40's, and that was before sunrise.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

4 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Had 41 this morning but did see frost on roof tops this morning, but non on the ground or plants. I drove to my new job today in which i had to be in Palm Beach this morning. As I was driving I saw the temp drop to 39 in places but when I got to Lake Okochobee the temps where in the upper 40's, and that was before sunrise.

The South Side of Lake Okeechobee is a fantastic microclimate that rivals the area around Homestead and Florida City, maybe even comparable to the area around Fairchild!

• Upvote 1

On 1/25/2016, 8:14:48, IHB1979 said:

So do you think it stayed above 4

9 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

The South Side of Lake Okeechobee is a fantastic microclimate that rivals the area around Homestead and Florida City, maybe even comparable to the area around Fairchild!

My dad was told as a child that South Bay was frost-free before they built the bigger dike after the "herricken" of '28.

1 hour ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

So do you think it stayed above 4

My dad was told as a child that South Bay was frost-free before they built the bigger dike after the "herricken" of '28.

I would believe it.  The biggest healthiest and most robust Jamaican Tall Coconut Palms and Royal Palms I have ever seen are in that area on the South Side of the lake.  It is easily a HIGH end 10B Climate with many winters an 11A Climate!

• Upvote 1

So far the coldest temperatures for this season:

Cape Coral: 41F/45.7F

Ellington:  34F

Sarasota:  34F

Anna Marie Island:  46F

Merritt Island:  35F

Indian Harbor Beach:  37F

Holly Hill:  32.2F

Oak Hill:  29.8F

Brevard County, Fl

2 hours ago, Jimbean said:

So far the coldest temperatures for this season:

Cape Coral: 41F/45.7F

Ellington:  34F

Sarasota:  34F

Anna Marie Island:  46F

Merritt Island:  35F

Indian Harbor Beach:  37F

Holly Hill:  32.2F

Oak Hill:  29.8F

Pretty normal or even slightly milder than normal for those areas?  What about Orlando?

Orlando:

Downtown:  35F

Orlando International: 34F

Winter Park:  30F

Pine Hills:  32F

I would say that North and South Florida has been warmer so far this season and Central Florida has been more comparatively average. 

Brevard County, Fl

My grandparents called them Hurrcuns. Hurcan=Caribe God of Evil Wind.1928 Hurrcun was a MoMo. Blew Raverah Beach all the way down to Miamah.

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2016‎ ‎7‎:‎28‎:‎38‎, Bill H2DB said:

Here is the Set Up for the night.

The NW vector for the winds is the big deal , and they may go more Northish by early hours .

Still , there is only so much potential here , so its just a good 'ol cold spell .

24464152522_e87c469830_c.jpgNight temps by Bill H, on Flickr

Interesting how Cape Sable and Miami are the only mainland areas over 60* Even the upper keys are colder.

• Upvote 1

On 1/25/2016, 8:14:48, IHB1979 said:
8 hours ago, bubba said:

My grandparents called them Hurrcuns. Hurcan=Caribe God of Evil Wind.1928 Hurrcun was a MoMo. Blew Raverah Beach all the way down to Miamah.

Yep, my aunt says hurrikun, but my uncle uses a rarer variant, herrikun :-) both grew up saying Miama too. (By the way, the OED records the variant version of hurricane with initial heri-, so this is not something my uncle started on his own)

I now live in Altamonte Springs, about 12 miles N of Orlando. Coldest at my house so far is 33F with only light frost. Surprising as this is usually a cold pocket. Bananas, the excellent freeze indicator, only have some burn on a few leaf edges. There is a coconut palm down the street that is starting to form trunk and it still looks good.

At Leu Gardens it has been to 35F as measured by our weather station in the open. 

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I just checked my digital thermometer outside with sensor about 10ft. from the house and about a foot off the ground.  At midnight it was showing 38.3F, so for the 27th, we tied the coldest of 38.3F at my place on 1/10.  The local weathermen, one is predicting a low of 34F at the airport, and the other is predicting a low of 35F.  Either would be the lowest so far, with the previous lowest of 36F on 1/10.  If it gets down to 34F at the airport, that would mean 36F to 38F for my place, since my place averages about 2F to 4F warmer for a low than the airport.  I didn't notice any frost on anything.  It is really dry out.  This has still been a very mild winter here.

Coldest morning this winter in my yard with a low of 33.6F and light frost on the yard and on the car, and roof tops, but no sign of frost on my coconut palms or other plants, but I did notice some dark green spotting on my Livistona saribus and chinensis.  Supposedly, it got down to 33F at the airport, their coldest too, but if I got down to 33.6F, they should have been down around 30F or 31F, since my yard is usually 2F to 4F warmer for the low than the airport.  This was a weird cold morning with spotty really cold temps like 28F in George West, just north of Corpus Christi, but only 35F just east of there in Beeville.  Also, in the Rio Grande Valley, there was quite a range from 35F at Edinburg, just north of McAllen to 48F at South Padre Island, but just across the causeway in Port Isabel, it was in the upper 30'sF.  Go figure.

36.5 on Monday was the lowest I recorded with a little frost on the roofs. It seems like a pretty mild winter this year, I haven't seen any plant damage locally.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Pretty strong agreement that the PV will split in the next week or so. Here's a link to a great GFS animation of the forecast split. Should make what's left of winter pretty interesting. A lot of cold air will be leaving the arctic.

Edited by IHB1979
  • Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2016‎ ‎8‎:‎07‎:‎31‎, Eric in Orlando said:

I now live in Altamonte Springs, about 12 miles N of Orlando. Coldest at my house so far is 33F with only light frost. Surprising as this is usually a cold pocket. Bananas, the excellent freeze indicator, only have some burn on a few leaf edges. There is a coconut palm down the street that is starting to form trunk and it still looks good.

At Leu Gardens it has been to 35F as measured by our weather station in the open. 

Eric,

Could you get a photo or two of the Coconut Palm down the street from you?  Thanks.

John

4 hours ago, IHB1979 said:

Pretty strong agreement that the PV will split in the next week or so. Here's a link to a great GFS animation of the forecast split. Should make what's left of winter pretty interesting. A lot of cold air will be leaving the arctic.

Looks like it will go more to the east and not affect us on the west side of the Gulf too much, but you guys in Florida might be in for some cold days.

7 hours ago, IHB1979 said:

Can this be converted into hard number predictions for FL? Does this model portend a certain freeze for us?

After a dip to 49F overnight, nothing below 50F for the next 10 days (yeah, way too far out). But so far this winter my lows have been 2-4 degrees above prediction.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

After running the 18z (GFS).. Keep an eye on the next big storm heading our way around the 10th ( 240-288 hours currently).. Looks like winter may try and take another swipe at FL. While not as bullish as earlier runs, some serious cold still tries to dive south. Will be interesting to see how things change as we get closer in time. A lot of conflicting signals that may or may not effect how far this round of cold can penetrate before getting shunted east. AO might head into Negative territory ( messy forecast) but NAO stays positive/ neutral-ish.. at least atm. PNA hovers around Neutral/ slightly Positive but is suggested to head Negative ( a Plus for warmer weather here) The bigger "wildcard" is how the current Inactive MJO phase will effect how a split PV effects FL.  Even so, cold looks to quickly shift east/ back north with milder temps beyond 300 hours.. Quite ready for some sustained warmth, even if kinda cloudy like today. Got alot of stuff to get done before packing up the truck and heading west.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2016‎ ‎8‎:‎18‎:‎54‎, Silas_Sancona said:

After running the 18z (GFS).. Keep an eye on the next big storm heading our way around the 10th ( 240-288 hours currently).. Looks like winter may try and take another swipe at FL. While not as bullish as earlier runs, some serious cold still tries to dive south. Will be interesting to see how things change as we get closer in time. A lot of conflicting signals that may or may not effect how far this round of cold can penetrate before getting shunted east. AO might head into Negative territory ( messy forecast) but NAO stays positive/ neutral-ish.. at least atm. PNA hovers around Neutral/ slightly Positive but is suggested to head Negative ( a Plus for warmer weather here) The bigger "wildcard" is how the current Inactive MJO phase will effect how a split PV effects FL.  Even so, cold looks to quickly shift east/ back north with milder temps beyond 300 hours.. Quite ready for some sustained warmth, even if kinda cloudy like today. Got alot of stuff to get done before packing up the truck and heading west.

Nathan,

Sorry you have to leave Coconut Territory and head to the dessert.  I miss living in the heart of it in Coral Springs, but I don't miss the rat race in Southeast Florida, which you don't have too much of in your part of Florida.

John