IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Thrinax Radiata and Leucothrinax Morissii - Maybe...

Sabal Steve

So, I picked up a palm as a Cocothrinax, that which appears to be a Thrinax radiata.  A friend in Florida was generous enough to send me some Leucothrinax morissii seeds (which I'm still going to germ and circulate) , but I saw one at the nursery that was a few full years ahead of schedule, and I just couldn't pass it up.  

Anyways, I looked at it next to the Thrinax mentioned above, and it seems pretty similar.  the only difference that I can notice is the palm labeled morissii has longer petioles, which I assume was just due to the greenhouse it was grown in.  I don't see any silver underneath the morissii leaves.

Thoughts?  Can anyone tell for sure what either one of these are.

The "Thrinax" is in the brown clay pot, and the "Leucothrinax" is in the nursery 1 gal.

IMAG0527.thumb.jpg.2c830b99a76dee9368e93IMAG0525.thumb.jpg.a6195f77ccf1a9837d366IMAG0524.thumb.jpg.c91c1773af016e81c8268IMAG0526.thumb.jpg.80604a4652ec56e0737fdIMAG0528.thumb.jpg.a2a436771d5dbcf50cb8a

It's funny how I'm barely even aware of the US native palms that I can't grow (which in zone 7 is most of them).  Hope you get an answer!

Edited by Bigfish

I have both. Leucothrinax have smaller fronds and, I believe, those have a silvery sheen on the reverse. Radiata fronds are quite large and droopy, light green on the reverse (it's dark out so I can't check). Radiatas remind me of a floppy, shaggy dog (getting scientific here).

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Steve,

Meg's observations are spot on. Seeing both growing side by side at Kopsick,  T. radiata is the "floppy dog" of the two, and lacks the silvery undersides of the leaves, easily seen from a distance. Had pictures of both id taken last year but my camera decided to erase the entire SD card ( goodbye everything from 2015). Also have both as seedlings. Leu. morissii, at least my seedlings, look like thin grass blades while T. r's are thicker.. but, some of my seed did get mixed, so i may have Coccothrinax seed in with the radiata atm.

I think the ID of the Leucothrinax is correct.  But I think the other is more likely to be a Cocothrinax.  The leaf pinnae look very thin for a T morrisii.  Of course, pix are great but they rarely convey any where close to the amount of information one gets in person.  If you can get a close up of where the petiole attaches to the tree "trunk", we should be able to get to the genus.  I will take a pix of the Thrinax leaf bases and post shortly.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Here is a photo of a decent size Thrinax.  See how the leaf base is split down the center.  That doean't happen in Cocothrinax.

image.jpeg

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.