• Similar Content

• Marius
      By Marius
      I’ve just planted this licuala sarawakensis out into my garden. I’m in a 9b type climate zone. I planted it under a big Phoenix canariensis in an area that is sheltered between two high walls ( the house on one side and a high boundary wall on the other). 
      Does anyone have experience growing this species outside the tropics. 

• Xerarch
      By Xerarch
      Hey I have a real appreciation for the Pseudophoenix genus, I think they are beautiful, all of them.  I would like to know about which one is the most cold tolerant, is it sargentii?  Seems like sargentii is approximately as hardy as a Royal, but much slower growing, which means recovery is more difficult.  If I remember correctly lediniana is the fastest so it might recover from damage better, but if it is less hardy that also means that it will damage easier.  Also it sounds like sargentii var. navassa is faster than normal, but is it more tender also?
      Are these grown with success in 9b/10a areas of central Florida and south Texas where Royals are grown and might experience periodic damage?  If so, pics please!
      I'm thinking about ordering some seeds and getting some going, that way in a few years when I'm able to move to a more blessed climate than Ohio I'll have some going as they are pretty expensive to buy even in small sizes.
      Any input and pics are appreciated!
    • Alicehunter2000
      By Alicehunter2000
      The recent 25 degree temps tested the nana for the first time .....
      C. nana putting out new leaf....no damage

R. excelsa #1 showing burn

R. excelsa #2 showing burn

R. excelsa var. "Short and Fat" ...no damage

R. excelsa dwarf variety.....no damage

R. multifida ....no damage

Really surprised at the hardiness of C. nana ..... what have others observed?
    • tank
      By tank
      Any experience on the the minimum temps this plant can take would be appreciated. Is their any chance this cycad can take down to 20F in N. Florida?
    • sonoranfans
      By sonoranfans
      I bought my house back in april 2010 and started planting out palms. By june I had planted out this dypsis pembana from mbpalms as a 1 gallon and it grew quickly for the next 5 months. Then a 30 year cold hit dec 15,16 2010, and my yard, a newly contructed house, had no canopy. Two good frosts(you could scrape it off leaves at 10 am) and ~28F with 6+ hrs below 32F on those days doomed many of my young palms which were not established and small. Even Royal 15 gallon and 7 gallon palms died as did a foxtail 5 gallon and two 3 gallon foxy ladies. All of these and more had spear pull. My only zone 10 palm that didn't get spear pull was a leptocheilos x decaryi, it lost all but the spear. So I watched my pembana for a few days and then the spear came out upon pulling. I learned on palmtalk that repeated peroxide/daconil can sometimes help palms recover. I ripped this pembana out of the ground and almost decided to trash it, but I threw it in a pot and began treatment with all my other burned palms, repeatedly applying it every 2 weeks down the spear hole! Many of the others died, but I was stunned to find that after 3 months of warm weather a spear emerged from this palm. Here is a pic of the palm just after the frost events(3rd day?) and in may 2011 with spear emerging.